Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:41:09 AM
713384 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Greatest Number One Hits « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Greatest Number One Hits  (Read 8444 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: September 16, 2008, 06:51:30 PM »

Don't agree with some of the inclusions (there are much better #1 records for 1974 than "The Joker" by THE STEVE MILLER BAND) but the list is fun, and I agree with the author's assertion that "...To my ears the 60's and 70's and even the 80's were filled to the brim with timeless tracks, while both the quality and quantity of  #1 hits took a nosedive in the 90's and 00's..."  For the sake of ease, I copy/pasted the list, but only the beginning of the article.  Follow the link if interested in the full item: 

Greatest Number One Hits 
The Billboard Hot 100 chart began identifying the top songs in America back in 1958. The list takes airplay and sales into account and is a good measure of what the most popular songs are at a point in time. Songs that make to the very top of this list on any given week can claim the moniker "number one hit".

This playlist is a collection of the best of the best. The greatest hits to ever peak on the Billboard Hot 100 chart...

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/yradish/26198/greatest-number-one-hits 

Greatest Number One Hits

1958: All I Have To Do Is Dream - The Everly Brothers
1959: Stagger Lee - Lloyd Price
1960: Stay - Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs
1961: Surrender - Elvis Presley
1962: I Can't Stop Loving You - Ray Charles
1963: Fingertips Pt. 2 - Stevie Wonder
1964: House Of The Rising Sun - The Animals
1965: (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - The Rolling Stones
1966: Good Vibrations - The Beach Boys
1967: Hello, Goodbye - The Beatles
1968: (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay - Otis Redding
1969: Everyday People - Sly & the Family Stone
1970: The Tears Of A Clown - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
1971: Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me) - The Temptations
1972: Let's Stay Together - Al Green
1973: Let's Get It On - Marvin Gaye
1974: The Joker - Steve Miller Band
1975: Island Girl - Elton John
1976: 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover - Paul Simon
1977: Hotel California - The Eagles
1978: Stayin' Alive - Bee Gees
1979: Heart Of Glass - Blondie
1980: Another Brick In The Wall, Pt. 2 - Pink Floyd
1981: Starting Over, (Just Like) - John Lennon
1982: Jack And Diane - John Cougar Mellencamp
1983: Beat It - Michael Jackson
1984: When Doves Cry - Prince
1985: Everybody Wants To Rule The World - Tears for Fears
1986: Sledgehammer - Peter Gabriel
1987: With Or Without You - U2
1988: Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns N' Roses
1989: Like A Prayer - Madonna
1990: Vision Of Love - Mariah Carey
1991: Set Adrift On Memory Bliss - P.M. Dawn
1992: Baby Got Back - Sir Mix-A-Lot
1993: I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston
1994: Bump N' Grind - R. Kelly
1995: Waterfalls - TLC
1996: California Love - 2Pac
1997: Mo Money Mo Problems - Notorious B.I.G.
1998: Doo Wop (That Thing) - Lauryn Hill
1999: Smooth - Santana
2000: Amazed - Lonestar
2001: All For You - Janet Jackson
2002: Hot In Herre - Nelly
2003: Hey Ya! - Outkast
2004: Yeah! - Usher
2005: Gold Digger - Kanye West
2006: SexyBack - Justin Timberlake
2007: Irreplaceable - Beyonce
2008: Whatever You Like - T.I. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 07:14:59 PM »

I also agree with the assertion that the songs in the '50s-'80s were better than ones in the '90s/'00s.  But, I grew up in the '90s, so I do like some of the #1s listed.  I do think the quality of a LOT of music now is crap. 

Some songs listed that I like in particular include:
'92's "Baby Got Back" by Sir Mix A Lot
'94's "Bump N Grind" by R. Kelly
'96's "California Love" by Tupac (not a fan at the time, but now appreciate some of his stuff, actually.)
'68s "Sitting on The Dock of The Bay" by Otis Redding
and
'03's "Hey Ya" by Outkast

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 07:31:24 PM »

Greatest Number One Hits

Amazing that an old blues song about a pimp shooting one of his lowlife buddies in a crapshooting dispute could become a #1 hit.  The best song on the list, I think.  Like Academy Award winners or New York Times bestellers, Billboard #1 hits are necessarily good, but bland and unadventuresome--the songs that alienate the least number of people.  Still, more than a few catchy tunes on there, as well as a few that make me cringe.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 07:46:38 PM »

...'68s "Sitting on The Dock of The Bay" by Otis Redding

Amazing that an old blues song about a pimp shooting one of his lowlife buddies in a crapshooting dispute could become a #1 hit.  The best song on the list, I think.  Like Academy Award winners or New York Times bestellers, Billboard #1 hits are necessarily good, but bland and unadventuresome--the songs that alienate the least number of people.  Still, more than a few catchy tunes on there, as well as a few that make me cringe.
Some great records, but I think my list of the best #1 record for each year would be drastically different (and I'd give up by say, '95)  I see your point, REV, but I don't agree that #1 records are "...necessarily good, but bland and unadventuresome--the songs that alienate the least number of people."  Records like "Satisfaction" and "Let's Get It On" and "House Of The Rising Sun" and "Sweet Child O' Mine" are not bland and in fact alienated lots of people...

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 08:34:05 PM »

Some great records, but I think my list of the best #1 record for each year would be drastically different (and I'd give up by say, '95)  I see your point, REV, but I don't agree that #1 records are "...necessarily good, but bland and unadventuresome--the songs that alienate the least number of people."  Records like "Satisfaction" and "Let's Get It On" and "House Of The Rising Sun" and "Sweet Child O' Mine" are not bland and in fact alienated lots of people...

I should never speak in absolutes unless I want counterexamples thrown in my face.  Still, I might argue that those records, though very good ecamples of straight-ahead rock n'r roll, were artistically unadventurous (except for "House of the Rsisng Sun--that's another surprisng hit).  And, while those records might have alienated sububan parents, they didn't alienate the record buying public, mainly teenagers. 

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 09:11:41 PM »

I should never speak in absolutes unless I want counterexamples thrown in my face.  Still, I might argue that those records, though very good ecamples of straight-ahead rock n'r roll, were artistically unadventurous (except for "House of the Rsisng Sun--that's another surprisng hit).  And, while those records might have alienated sububan parents, they didn't alienate the record buying public, mainly teenagers.
Uhm... "thrown in your face...?"  "Thrown in your face...??"  C'mon, REV.  That's a curious statement. 

Radio stations altered "Satisfaction" where MICK sings "...tryin' to make some girl..."  And I think it's also fair to point out the use of the fuzztone (which probably does not occur on a charting record prior to its release) is artistically adventurous.  "Let's Get It On" is a breakthrough record that is pretty clearly sexual in theme (and we know how Americans are not only prudish, but hypocritical about that topic.) 
And alienating parents is something kids have striven to do since time immemorial.    Oh, and I'd "throw" one more example in your face: PRINCE's "When Doves Cry" which was not alienating, but certainly adventurous for excluding a bass line (I think unheard of  on every other Top 40 record, let alone a #1...)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 09:18:27 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 10:10:15 PM »

Uhm... "thrown in your face...?"  "Thrown in your face...??"  C'mon, REV.  That's a curious statement. 

Radio stations altered "Satisfaction" where MICK sings "...tryin' to make some girl..."  And I think it's also fair to point out the use of the fuzztone (which probably does not occur on a charting record prior to its release) is artistically adventurous.  "Let's Get It On" is a breakthrough record that is pretty clearly sexual in theme (and we know how Americans are not only prudish, but hypocritical about that topic.) 
And alienating parents is something kids have striven to do since time immemorial.    Oh, and I'd "throw" one more example in your face: PRINCE's "When Doves Cry" which was not alienating, but certainly adventurous for excluding a bass line (I think unheard of  on every other Top 40 record, let alone a #1...)

Not a curious statement, just an expression I used.  People often state things as absolutes when they really mean to express a trend.  That's what I did, and I got called on it, for being imprecise.  No subtext intended.

You're right, some elements of some of those songs are groundbreaking, I just think more of them play it safe and execute a formula well in order to attain their success rather than pushing the boundaries.  And I don't mean that in a negative way; not all music needs to push the boundaries, and in fact it would ironically become boring if every song tried to.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 10:19:05 PM »

Not a curious statement, just an expression I used.  People often state things as absolutes when they really mean to express a trend.  That's what I did, and I got called on it, for being imprecise.  No subtext intended.

You're right, some elements of some of those songs are groundbreaking, I just think more of them play it safe and execute a formula well in order to attain their success rather than pushing the boundaries.  And I don't mean that in a negative way; not all music needs to push the boundaries, and in fact it would ironically become boring if every song tried to.
I'm sorry but I don't think it's just an expression.  When people argue, you often hear that comment, about things (like out of the past) getting "thrown in your face." 

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 10:47:29 PM »

What? No Mummies?  TongueOut

Small | Large

No Dred Zep?

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 11:12:45 PM »

What? No Mummies?  TongueOut
No Dred Zep?

Small | Large

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 11:19:55 PM »

Sigh...unfourtantly...nothing that cool will ever make it too Billboard....

Small | Large

(Screaming Lord Sutch and the Savages...!) Twirling

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 11:40:07 PM »

Small | Large

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 11:44:36 PM »

CRIPES!!! I FOUND MONSTER MAN!!!! -

Small | Large

ee...doya think this coversation got a little off track off No.# 1 Hits...? ?  Thumbup

(heheheh...the subversive underground strikes agaain!)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 11:48:33 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 11:56:12 PM »

CheezezKriest!  I love that sh!t!  Especially where SCREAMIN' LORD SUTCH strangles the guy!  Yup, we're way offa #1 records.  Found my favorite CRAMPS: 
Small | Large
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 11:59:50 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 08:46:21 AM »

...'68s "Sitting on The Dock of The Bay" by Otis Redding

Very true.  In fact, "Let's Get It On" is a personal favorite of mine.  Marvin Gaye was a great singer, in my opinion.

While I like When Doves Cry, I figured Prince would've had some other song listed.  I don't know if it was a #1 hit, but I'm more fond of the song Purple Rain.  Either way, Prince is a great musician, who's had some somewhat sexual songs in his career.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Greatest Number One Hits « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.