Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:51:26 AM
714232 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Cell Phones While Driving « previous next »
Poll
Question: Do you ever use your cell phone while driving?
Yes...regularly - 3 (30%)
No - 2 (20%)
Very rarely - 2 (20%)
I don't own a cell phone - 3 (30%)
I don't own a car - 0 (0%)
I don't own either - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 10

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cell Phones While Driving  (Read 4576 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: September 25, 2008, 03:53:03 PM »

Earlier when I went to lunch I was nearly hit by a guy driving with a cell phone up to his ear.
I was in the left lane and he was in the right.  He started swerving over into my lane and almost rubbed up against my car.
I cursed him out loud pretty good and when I pulled up next to him and gave him a dirty look, sure enough, he had a phone up to his ear.

(I imagine myself forcing him off the road, running up and yanking him out of the car, punching him in the gut, slapping him around a bit and throwing his phone to the ground.  I would then proceed to stomp his phone into oblivion on the asphalt.
Or I would throw it out into traffic and let a semi run over it.   Wink)

Needless to say, driving and using a cell at the same time is downright dangerous.  Especially if the person using it is texting, which I've heard is technically worse than driving drunk.
I believe that states should outlaw the use of a phone while driving and heavy fines imposed.  No $50-$100 fine.  I'm talking $500-$1000 fines.
Some states already have laws in force but I've heard they're pretty tame.

I almost never use mine while driving.  The one exception is if I'm in extremely light to no traffic.  It definitely does not get used if I'm driving at high speed like on the highway etc...

What about you?
What do you personally think about using a phone while driving?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 03:54:57 PM by Ash » Logged
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 03:57:17 PM »

Never have, if I'm driving on a pretty much deserted road then MAYBE and after it's legal for me to do so in Illinois.  It's just a stupid move to talk on your phone while driving, unless you have one of those hands free ones, and in that case, it's still smarter to only use that when necessary.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 04:08:14 PM »

People that talk on their pehone while driving should be dragged from their cars, beaten, and sodomized with the bore-brush from a 105mm Howitzer, and have any wounds received from THAT treated with tobasco sauce. That's just me though. . 

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 09:04:21 PM »

I live in the country, and tend to travel lightly used roads . . . . and I use my phone a LOT.  Takes the boredom out of long drives and keeps me awake.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Menard
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 09:39:47 PM »

Why...heck yeah...I use my cellphone while driving. I can't wait to get to the car, get out on the road, and start calling everybody I know. TongueOut

I don't have a landline, so my cellphone is my only phone. It is primarily used for work, though it's my personal phone. I get calls while I am on the road, and I usually answer them; usually it's about work, but I don't get calls all the time.

I am an astute driver who has driven well in excess of a million miles without an accident, as I am pedantic about putting the road, and primarily other drivers, first. If I feel that a call is going to distract me, though it is uncommon, I will either call them back when I get somewhere, or find a place to pull over.

Most everybody I know with a cellphone uses it while driving. Many of them will claim to rarely use it behind the wheel. Seems like rarely comes along a lot more often than I thought the term would suggest.

People who blow through lights, miss turns, or even get into accidents while using the cellphone are likely to do the very same thing without the cellphone (I said 'likely', not 'guaranteed'). Whether it is the radio, eating, or just day dreaming, their attention will be on something else because that's just the way that they are; they can't pay attention.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 09:45:11 PM »

I don't own a cell phone.  My dad was sitting at a red light once and was lucky enough to get rear ended by a guy who was too busy talking on his phone to pay attention. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 09:45:59 PM »

People that talk on their pehone while driving should be dragged from their cars, beaten, and sodomized with the bore-brush from a 105mm Howitzer, and have any wounds received from THAT treated with tobasco sauce. That's just me though. . 

Oooh, how YOU doin', sailor?  BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

Actually, I do talk on my cell phone when I drive, but never in heavy traffic. I am usually on for just a minute or two, letting someone (usually my wife) know where I am and where I am headed. If traffic is at all heavy, or if I'm on unfamiliar roads or roads with a lot of twists/turns, I don't use it. The roads I usually use, however, are either backroads or highways in non-rush-hour traffic, so there are seldom any cars around me.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Menard
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 10:06:43 PM »

The roads I usually use, however, are either backroads or highways in non-rush-hour traffic, so there are seldom any cars around me.

Reminds me of part of a comedy routine of a comedian (er...1981? on the Improv broadcast) who was complaining about people who would stop at the bottom of a merge lane, and if asked why, they would say 'well, there might be cars coming'. He would respond with 'of course there will be cars coming...it's a FREEWAY!!!'.

Now I don't know where some of you all drive where all of these roads are empty, but I use highways and there are always cars somewhere around. I also suspect that at least a few of these cars have drivers; just a guess, though. TongueOut

Yep, I use my cellphone on the highway; and of all the dang strange coincidences, there are cars on these highways.
dean

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 03:38:00 AM »

Personally if you have an automatic transmission and half a brain, I don't see it being too bad, as long as you're not trying to run a rally course or something.  I don't see it being much different to talking to your friend in the car.

BUT

I've noticed however that most people are idiots, and therefore its best to not talk on the phone.

Luckily for us in this country it's illegal to talk on the phone whilst driving.  Sure it doesn't stop people but the deterrence is there.  Well at least, talking on one without a handsfree kit or something like that [that is, using one hand to hold the phone to your skull!]

I myself had the pleasure of getting fined for talking on my phone whilst driving and I very very rarely have since.  In my defense I answered my phone whilst I was stationary at a red light, so the danger levels are hardly high, but I didn't fight the fine since the law's the law, and I'm not one to fight if I'm clearly in the wrong.

So yeah, I make a point not to do it anymore, but personally I don't think it's that unsafe IF you are able to pay attention and are actually capable of doing two things at once.  If video games taught me anything it's that...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 07:13:11 AM »

Kind of funny, people used to have those "baby on board" signs in their windows, apparently you were supposed to use special caution when driving near them because they were carrying such precious cargo.  Well, those people all drove like sh!t.  Somebody pull out in front of you?  Baby on board.  Change lanes causing you to slam on the brakes?  Baby on board.  Etc.

Sorry, something in Dean's post made me think of that  Smile
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 07:14:50 AM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 10:10:55 AM »

I'm afraid I must admit to taking calls when my cell phone rings while driving, from family at least. I try to be very conscientious about focusing on driving and my surroundings, not on the conversation, and I also try to let people know I'm driving and to keep it short. But yes, I'm one of those who some of you want to do violent things to I guess.

I heard one report (2nd hand, haven't seen it myself in any news coverage) that the terrible commuter train/freight train wreck in LA a week or two ago was caused by the commuter train engineer missing a stop signal because he was texting. As he died in the wreck, we can't punish him for that one if true.

Kind of funny, people used to have those "baby on board" signs in their windows, apparently you were supposed to use special caution when driving near them because they were carrying such precious cargo.  Well, those people all drove like sh!t.  Somebody pull out in front of you?  Baby on board.  Change lanes causing you to slam on the brakes?  Baby on board.  Etc.

My observation is that these days it's the SUVs. When I see one near me in traffic (or worse, in a parking lot), I'm ready for them to do something crazy, dangerous and aggressive. And I'm rarely disappointed.

What ever happened to those signs? Do people not have babies on board anymore?
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 11:03:36 AM »

I heard one report (2nd hand, haven't seen it myself in any news coverage) that the terrible commuter train/freight train wreck in LA a week or two ago was caused by the commuter train engineer missing a stop signal because he was texting. As he died in the wreck, we can't punish him for that one if true.

No, but we can punish his estate!  BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Cell Phones While Driving « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.