Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:44:19 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  9 kids from same family abandoned under new Nebraska Law « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 9 kids from same family abandoned under new Nebraska Law  (Read 7857 times)
Captain Tars Tarkas
Bad Movie Lover

« on: September 25, 2008, 12:20:05 PM »

11 kids, including family of 9, abandoned

By TIMBERLY ROSS, Associated Press Writer 30 minutes ago

OMAHA, Neb. - Eleven children ranging in age from 1 to 17 were left at hospitals Wednesday under Nebraska's unique safe haven law, which allows caregivers to abandon youngsters as old as 19 without fear of prosecution.

Nine of the children came from one family. The six boys and three girls were left by their father, who was not identified, at Creighton University Medical Center's emergency room. Unrelated boys ages 11 and 15 also were surrendered Wednesday at Immanuel Medical Center.

The law, which went into effect in July, initially was intended to protect infants. In a compromise with senators worried about arbitrary age limits, the measure was expanded to include the word "child," which wasn't defined. Some have interpreted this to mean anyone under the age of 19.

At least 14 children have been abandoned under the state's safe haven law since it took effect.

I wondered if something weird like this would happen.

akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 03:17:37 PM »

Marvelous.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 10:52:21 PM »

*note to self, , move to Nebraska. . .

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 06:31:55 AM »

Nine  from one family?  Oh I could get started on a real rant with that.

Having dealt over the years with a fair number of kids who were under the care of "Family Services", I always have to wonder:  are these kids better off surrendered or abandoned by parents who cannot cope etc, or would they really be better off if those parents were forced to keep the family together under any and all circumstances?  Some situations truly are untenable. 

I feel sorry for the kids who are old enough to know what is going on.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 06:43:25 AM »

I wonder what they do if the kids want to go back to their own family?  Do they tell them no, sorry, we passed this law that your parents can give you away and you've been given away, so, now you're forbidden by law to go home?

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 08:59:37 AM »

Sounds like the legislature needs to do some rewriting of the law.  The way it is now all kinds of deadbeats will be dropping off their kids.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 03:27:39 PM »

I ahve a friend who is a juvenile parole officer.  She gets parents trying to have their kids put away or put into foster care all the time.
The laws are intended to help infants.  This was just stupid.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 05:05:26 PM »

But the question remains: What was the guys supposed to do? I understand that things like this are horrific, , but I have to say this guys sounds like someone that just couldn't make headway, and perhaps the kids ARE better off in a more stable environment. I'm under no disillusion that state social service is a BETTER place for kids, but there are decent foster homes/families, moreso than people believe. This is a bit different that crack-heads dropping off their kids because they don't want to feed them, or someone dropping off their kid so they can live on the road with some biker gang. I'm a true believer in that if you don't have the skills and resources to be an acceptable parent, then you should let someone who DOES do the job.

Unfortunately people that drop off their kids at a place like this fall into either of two catagories: Parents that don't care about their kids at all, and parents that care more than enough to want a better life for those kids, even at their own detriment.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 11:30:54 AM »

And they're coming from Michigan to do it in Nebraska. The latest news, that I saw, was that a lady who lives in Michigan drove all the way to Nebraska to drop off her teen-age son, because she felt she could not longer take care of him. Nebraska is checking with the authorities in Michigan to see whether the woman first sought help in her home state.
BTM

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 10:56:37 AM »

I'm a true believer in that if you don't have the skills and resources to be an acceptable parent, then you should let someone who DOES do the job.

I don't know, I'm of the thought that if you don't think you have the skills or resources to be an acceptable parent, then maybe you SHOULDN'T be having kids, PERIOD.  I mean, I can understand things happen, but having NINE "accidents"?  You'd think after kid four or five, the guy would get a vasectomy, or invest in this neat invention we have called "condoms".

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 11:53:17 AM »

IIRC, the father did so after the mother died. I took it more as he didn't know how hard it was to do ALONE.

jdizon
New Visitor

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 01:28:18 AM »

Are these kids better off surrendered or abandoned by parents who cannot cope etc.
tampa family law
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  9 kids from same family abandoned under new Nebraska Law « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.