Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:14:25 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Spoilerfest: BEYOND RE-ANIMATOR (2003) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Spoilerfest: BEYOND RE-ANIMATOR (2003)  (Read 3324 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« on: September 25, 2008, 02:36:24 PM »

This summary contains nothing but spoilers.  If you do not want to know the shocking secret of BEYOND RE-ANIMATOR, stop reading now!

After his sister is brutally killed by a milk-drinking zombie re-animated by Dr. Herbert West, a young boy discovers the inconspicuous glowing green radioactive syringe the cops missed while they were busy bagging up all the detached limbs from his front yard and saves it all the way through medical school so when he grows up enough to look like Doogie Hauser he can become the doctor at the Arkham, Massachusetts prison where West is serving a life sentence.  Director Brian Yuzna hired a team of regional filmmakers to help get that Lovecraftian New England ambiance down perfectly—guys like screenwriter José Manuel Gómez and executive producer Carlos Fernández—guys with mucho dinero, who understand that an authentic Massachusetts prison looks exactly like something you’d find on the outskirts of Barcelona.  Anyway, West whiles away the lonely hours electrocuting gang-bangers’ pet rats and trying to make out what his fellow prisoners are saying through those thick Massachusetts accents that sound just like Speedy Gonzalez.  The penitentiary is run by an old New England Brahmin named Brando, who likes to beat the prisoners with his silver-handled cane and make visiting female journalists climb into the prison electric chair for his amusement.  As soon as Doc gets there, a bald-headed guy has a heart attack in the prison yard, and Nurse Cleavage is absolutely no help, so Doc has to give West the green needle (even though he worries that after 14 years “the reactive base may have deteriorated”) so he can re-animate the guy and pass him off as cured to keep his survival rate perfect on his first day.  The bald zombie bites the neck of one of the prison guards, but the visiting female journalist hottie sprains her ankle at the same time, so Doc attends to her and asks her out to dinner so she will have an excuse to get topless later while the bleeding guard is ordered to take the zombie to the Hole.

So Doc spends his days setting up a lab with West in the prison basement—West has improved his recipe for bringing the dead back to life by shooting up the corpses with electricity—and his nights making time with the hottie reporter, who’s still investigating the weird goings on at the prison.  So West shoots up the gangbangers dead pet rat with green juice and a thousand volts so he won’t shiv him in the yard but everything starts going wrong when the hottie reporter sneaks in to see the bald zombie in the hole and the Warden Brando catches her and makes her get on all fours and bark like a dog until the zombie bites off his ear.  So Warden kills the hot reporter and the guards bring the body to Doc and West while they’re having a friendly debate on the medical ethics of transferring rat souls into human zombies.   Doc’s pretty whipped, so when they wheel her corpse in he shoots her up with rat essence and she escapes, along with bald zombie who also escaped somehow who goes and tries to eat the gangbangers pet zombie rat, which sparks a prisonwide riot.

So Warden one-ear wanders into West and Doc’s lab and threatens to fire Doc so West hammers him in the brain with a microscope and suddenly gets the bright idea, “What if the agony of death didn’t end in an instant, but instead, was prolonged indefinitely?”  So he shoots the Warden full of green juice and electricity and we get some cool artsy shots in microbiology-cam and zombie-cam.  Then West turns his back and all the zombies wander off and the gangbanger tries to rape the zombie reporter so she turns him into Johnny Eck and the Madrid version of Tommy Chong runs around the set popping Percodans and shooting himself up with re-animating fluid.  Then the bald-headed zombie catches Nurse Cleavage on the steps and her dress pops open and it becomes obvious that all his antisocial ways are as much a result of not having been breastfed as a child as they are from being re-animated from the dead.  So then zombie warden tries to force zombie reporter to give him some zombie fellatio, but because this is a feminist flick she, uh, bites off his baton, which then gets into a cockfight with the zombie rat.  Next Doc finds his dead girlfriend and for a minute it looks like he’s going to get some hot zombie love but she tears off her skirt to reveal her dominatrix underwear and starts kickboxing him around like a Spanish gymnast on crystal meth.  Then Senor Chong’s eyeballs and pancreas pop out from too much re-animator juice but he still digs the high. Then Johnny Eck the gangbanger swings from some pipes in the ceiling and tries to kill West while he’s busy beating all the zombies into submission with the warden’s cane, but he manages to pound zombie butt and get away and steal Doc’s white lab coat so he can sneak out of the prison.

The end.  4/5 slimes.    
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 03:30:07 PM by Rev. Powell » Logged

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Menard
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 07:20:27 PM »

Leave it to a lawyer to fit 15 paragraphs into 3.

I enjoyed this sequel. I didn't care too much for Bride, but several like that one and I guess it's just a matter of pacing. For me, Beyond has that chaotic, off the wall humor that the first one had (though not as classic) as well the pacing to keep up the interest.

What can't one like about a movie that ends with a knockdown dragout fight between a rat and a disembodied penis. BounceGiggle
inframan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 04:17:31 PM »

Thats about how I felt about it, a little better than Bride but can't touch the original (can anything?!). Thanks for the plot summary, I saw this when it first came out and all I can remember is that West was in prison and some guy in the audience yelling out "oh yeah" when the nurse's dress gets ripped off.

I think this was made about the same time and place as Dagon. Kind of funny how its shot in Spain so the tried to make all the extras mexican gang members. BounceGiggle
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 04:42:56 PM »

What no one has made mention of yet is possibly the most important thing associated with this movie: the "Re-Animate Your Feet" music video in the DVD extras!  Buggedout

Small | Large

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
Dark
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 05:18:25 PM »

It's called Move Your Dead Bones, not Re-animate your feet..-.-
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Spoilerfest: BEYOND RE-ANIMATOR (2003) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.