Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 08:55:23 AM
714152 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Beef Jerky « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Beef Jerky  (Read 4579 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: September 25, 2008, 09:35:53 PM »

On my lunch break the other day I stopped at Wal-Mart.  It's only a half-mile from my work and it's convenient.  And I get an hour for lunch so it helps me kill time.

While there I picked up a bag of beef jerky.
Damn I love this stuff!   Smile  Thumbup

I love to eat it but it's crazy expensive.  It's always nice to treat yourself to a bag every now and then.
Occasionally, you'll run into a family member who shot a deer and you'll be treated to a pound or more of delicious deer jerky.  My uncle Jerry hooks me up with a bunch of it every year. Smile

How about you?
Do you like jerky?  Got a favorite kind?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 09:37:36 PM by Ash » Logged
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 09:41:30 PM »

I love jerky, but rarely buy it because the price always makes me laugh.  There's just something about a nice hunk of meat that's so hard and tough that you can chew on it for a good long time  TeddyR  I kind of like the teriyaki stuff, but really any flavor will do just fine.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 10:06:40 PM »

I'm going to buy a food dehydrator this weekend and one of the things I plan on doing with it is make jerky. An old Army buddy of mine visited last month and gave me a bunch of jerky he made. 10x as good as any I've ever bought in the store. Here's the recipe he gave me:

The recipe for the jerky is as follows.

First you need about a 3 to 5 lbs eye of round roast.

Then slice the roast the long way with the grain of the meat into thin strips. If you don't have a slicer to do this then you can sometimes get the people in the meat department to slice it for you.( The thinner the better.)

I have sliced it with a knife but then it takes a long time and is not very consistent in thickness.
Leave the lip or the fat attached when slicing.( it adds to the flavor)

You then take 1 bottle of soy sauce,1 bottle of Worcestershire sauce,1/2 bottle of liquid smoke and the important ingredient brown sugar which once you mix all of the above ingredients and add the brown sugar to taste the more the sweeter.

To add a different flavor we have also added teriyaki to it you don't have to but it is pretty good as well.

Pour the brine over the sliced meat and mix thoroughly let set in the fridge and mix every couple of hours.

We have let it sit for up to 2 days before putting in the dehydrator but one day is usually good.

If there is some brine left you can use it again as long it is refrigerated.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 01:10:10 AM »

I'm going to buy a food dehydrator this weekend and one of the things I plan on doing with it is make jerky. An old Army buddy of mine visited last month and gave me a bunch of jerky he made. 10x as good as any I've ever bought in the store. Here's the recipe he gave me:

The recipe for the jerky is as follows.

First you need about a 3 to 5 lbs eye of round roast.

Then slice the roast the long way with the grain of the meat into thin strips. If you don't have a slicer to do this then you can sometimes get the people in the meat department to slice it for you.( The thinner the better.)

I have sliced it with a knife but then it takes a long time and is not very consistent in thickness.
Leave the lip or the fat attached when slicing.( it adds to the flavor)

You then take 1 bottle of soy sauce,1 bottle of Worcestershire sauce,1/2 bottle of liquid smoke and the important ingredient brown sugar which once you mix all of the above ingredients and add the brown sugar to taste the more the sweeter.

To add a different flavor we have also added teriyaki to it you don't have to but it is pretty good as well.

Pour the brine over the sliced meat and mix thoroughly let set in the fridge and mix every couple of hours.

We have let it sit for up to 2 days before putting in the dehydrator but one day is usually good.

If there is some brine left you can use it again as long it is refrigerated.

To get cleaner, thinner slices even with a knife, pop the meat in the freezer for a while. Don't freeze it solid just long enough to firm up the meat.

I make a lot of jerky, from many kinds of meat, I'm about out and time time to make more.

I either dehydrate it or cook it in a smoker, for jerky I use a 55 gallon drum, and wire coat hangers bent out. Place them across the top, drape the meat over the wires and put the hot coals from a fire in the bottom (threw a hole cut out near the bottom) Put a metal lid on top, a metal garbage can lid works fine. smoke it until dry.  I smoke mine with hickory or fruit woods of which I have plenty of both.

Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 11:52:36 PM »

The closest I've had is Slim Jims, which are good, but I just KNOW I'd love beef jerky.  TongueOut

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 12:04:34 AM »

Slim Jims? Those things have enough MSG in them to kill an elephant. I stay away from that crap, it doesn't work well for me. .

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 06:43:50 AM »

I've been getting into the Jack Links tender cuts which are awesome. The stuff is so expensive for what you get though.  I've been meaning to do my own jerky in the food dehydrator but haven't quite gotten around to it yet. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 12:48:22 PM »

I just put my first patch in the dehydrator. I followed my friend's recipe, except I didn't have enough brine so I added some Wasabiaki sauce to it. I'll let you know how it turns out, however long that takes.

ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 11:25:43 AM »

Lessons learned:

1) Check it often, and I don't mean just look at it. Rip a chunk off and test it.
2) Fresh jerky just out of the dehydrator is NOT indicative of how good it turned out. A day in the 'frige does wonders for it.
3) If you over-dry your jerky, UNDER dry the next batch and store them together, seems to equil them out
4) If you over-dried your LAST batch, store it with a couple of slices of bread.
5) Don't skimp on the brown sugar.

I'm going to try drying some fruit, I'll let you know how THAT turns out. .

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 11:30:30 AM »

I've never had beef jerky  Bluesad  can't find it anywhere in this godforsaken hell-hole!

ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 11:06:11 PM »

Where is that? There are recipes all over the 'net that tell you how to make it in a regular oven.

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 07:31:00 AM »

On my lunch break the other day I stopped at Wal-Mart.  It's only a half-mile from my work and it's convenient.  And I get an hour for lunch so it helps me kill time.

While there I picked up a bag of beef jerky.
Damn I love this stuff!   Smile  Thumbup

I love to eat it but it's crazy expensive.  It's always nice to treat yourself to a bag every now and then.
Occasionally, you'll run into a family member who shot a deer and you'll be treated to a pound or more of delicious deer jerky.  My uncle Jerry hooks me up with a bunch of it every year. Smile

How about you?
Do you like jerky?  Got a favorite kind?

The South African version of jerky, known as biltong, is always called, along with rusks and coffee, as the food that stood up to the British during the Anglo Boer War 1899 ~ 1902.  TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 09:46:25 AM »

Where is that? There are recipes all over the 'net that tell you how to make it in a regular oven.

In england, I can't be bothered doing it myself though, that's the thing  Lookingup

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Beef Jerky « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.