Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:18:03 PM
713370 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Spanish Version of Dracula (1931) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Spanish Version of Dracula (1931)  (Read 4468 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« on: September 07, 2008, 05:11:43 PM »

I just got the chance to see this for the first time, and I have to agree with the many, if not most, that it's a much better directed film than Tod Browning's DRACULA.  If you could have put Bela Lugosi under the direction of George Melford, you would have had maybe the undisputed horror classic of all time.

For those who don't know, a Spanish speaking crew filmed an alternate version of DRACULA using the same Universal sets used by the Browning/Lugosi crew.  The English speaking team filmed during the day, and the Spanish crew took over at night.

Noteworthy improvements in the Spanish version:

*The most noticeable difference is in the camerawork.  Browning's version usually looks like a filmed play, with the camera solidly rooted to the ground as the actors work in front of it.  The camera in the Spanish version moves a little, and there is some attempt to create atmosphere through montage.  For example, the first time we see Count Dracula in the Spanish version, we get a long shot of the crypt, followed by a tracking shot that zooms in on the coffin, which opens to reveal a clawed hand crawling out.  The scene cuts to a rat crawling along on ledge, who loses his footing and falls off.  Back to the coffin where the hand continues to emerge; then to a shot of a bug crawling in the dirt along the coffin's edge.  Then back to the coffin where the lid lifts, with mist rising in the background, and Dracula rises to his full height.  Then we see in a long shot his brides wandering around like zombies, and then a closeup of Dracula as he surveys his domain and prepares to begin the night's activities.  There's nothing in the English language version to compare to this simple Gothic atmosphere, which feels a lot more like Murnau’s NOSFERATU.

*The female lead is hotter, and wears lower cut nightgowns.   Smile

*The Spanish version is 30 minutes longer, and better paced overall.  The climax is more drawn out than the abrupt finish in the American version, and the characters seem to have more depth.

*Speaking of characters having more depth, Renfield—who is the second most interesting character, after Count Dracula himself—has a greatly expanded role.  And He's even crazier than Dwight Frye!

*Some Spanish-speaking people at the IMDB claim that the voice acting is terrible--the alleged bad acting doesn't really come through when you're reading subtitles, though.

There aren't many clips of this version on youtube; the beginning is on there, but someone overlaid on Annie Lennox song on it (why?)  Here's a sort of entertainment report on it (don't ask me why the host is dressed like a white gangsta).

Small | Large

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 05:16:10 AM »

Well, as a Spanish speaker I can tell you those guys at IMDB are right, those actors enunciate with so much overkill it could work as a radio play.

Still, the films looks VERY interesting, I may take a look around and see if I can get a copy of that version.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 09:45:00 AM »

It's included on disc 2 of "Dracula: The Legacy Collection",  along with DRACULA, DRACULA'S DAUGHTER, SON OF DRACULA, and HOUSE OF DRACULA.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
akiratubo

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 12:08:53 PM »

Much better than the Browning version.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Raffine

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 05:23:21 PM »

Carlos Villarias' Dracula is about the only really off-putting aspect of the Spanish version for me. Although there are a couple of scenes where he's photographed very creepily (when turns to watch Senior RENfield eat he almost looks like Chaney's phantom and when he lurks about on the ship like Nosferatu) but other than those two brief scenes he seems pretty lightweight to me, especially compared to Lugosi!

It's a shame Lugosi didn't do both versions. And it's a shame they quit making these Spanish language dopelganger films before FRANKENSTEIN went into production. It would have been fascinating to see a whole different take on Whale's/Karloff's/Clive's/Frye's direction/performances.

"¡Está vivo! ¡Está vivo!"

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 08:34:32 PM »

With the exception of Bela Lugosi's Dracula, which is a classic performance, I find the Spanish version a far superior version of the American version. Indeed, along with "Dracula's Daughter," I think the Spanish version of Dracula are the two best vampire films from the '30's.
the master
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 06:32:39 PM »

if lugosi was in this movie and van helsing was played by peter cushing it would be the greatest vampire movie ever
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Spanish Version of Dracula (1931) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.