Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:43:42 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Top 10 Horror movies you could show to your kids and not feel bad about « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: The Top 10 Horror movies you could show to your kids and not feel bad about  (Read 26464 times)
RapscallionJones
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Grim & Frostbitten

« on: September 29, 2008, 11:13:59 AM »

I may have posted this once before but I'm looking for some input.  On Friday, I had a long conversation with the producer of a New Hampshire Public Radio show called Word of Mouth and I've been booked to appear on the Halloween episode to talk up a few of the top 10 horror movies you could show your kids and not feel bad about.

The premise is pretty simple.  Most spooky movies these days with kids in mind is insipid and heavily marketed but back in the day, when I was 7, I discovered the Creature Double Feature on Saturday afternoons and was recruited into the horror fan club very early on thanks to Godzilla, Christopher Lee, Vincent Price and Roger Corman.  Sure, these are goofy movies, but they're also unapologetic horror movies. 

So I ask you this:  You're going to show some horror movies to a bunch of 10 years old.  What do you show them? To save you some time, I am disqualifying the following titles since they're already on my list.

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero
The Monster Squad (EVERYBODY replies with this one. The language is pretty salty.)
The Raven

Think cheesy, old and new.  It doesn't matter.

Visit the b-movie blog
http://www.cinema-suicide.com
The required Myspace profile
http://www.myspace.com/cinemasuicide
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 11:18:16 AM »

It depends how old they are, under 10, yeah Monster Squad. About 10+, stuff like poltergeist, the lost boys and halloween. Saying that though, my dad let me watch Hellraiser when I was 7, so I'm pretty screwed up!  TeddyR

RapscallionJones
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Grim & Frostbitten

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 11:20:20 AM »

It depends how old they are, under 10, yeah Monster Squad. About 10+, stuff like poltergeist, the lost boys and halloween. Saying that though, my dad let me watch Hellraiser when I was 7, so I'm pretty screwed up!  TeddyR
This always an interesting perspective because I came up in a house where that s**t was verboten so I had to find it on TV (which was more common than you might think in the early 80's).  I saw Poltergeist on TV back when I was 10 and the guy tearing his face off scene scared the s**t out of me.  I may include it, though, because the rest of it is pretty inoccuous and spooky.

Visit the b-movie blog
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 11:25:46 AM »

The Midnight Hour
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Something by William Castle - perhaps "The House on Haunted Hill."

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 11:45:53 AM »

My mom's a werewolf  Thumbup

RapscallionJones
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Grim & Frostbitten

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 11:48:41 AM »

Something by William Castle - perhaps "The House on Haunted Hill."
Yes! Noted.

Visit the b-movie blog
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 12:03:27 PM »

Hmmm...
Maybe the first Nightmare on Elm Street movie.

It's not too gory and it'll give 'em nightmares.
I watched it when I was 11 years old. 
Scared the hell out of me?  Yes.  Screw me up?  No.
inframan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 12:04:17 PM »

Kind of a wierd situation when you think about it really, horror movies are supposed to be scary. But I see what you mean I'll be enjoying plenty of horror movies with my kid but I wont be starting with Evil Dead.

I'd go with the old Universal monsters from the 1940's Frankenstien, Dracula, stuff like that. But the I do recall seeing a tv preview in early grade school for the Mummy and there was a scene where they were wrapping a guy up and it scared the hell out of me.

Just thought of  a newer one my niece likes its an Eddie Murphy flick: The Haunted Mansion Its more of a kids movie about a haunted house than a horror movie thats safe for kids but it might fit the bill.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 12:08:10 PM by inframan » Logged
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 12:08:31 PM »

Either of the Ghostbusters movies would be a decent choice.   Thumbup

They're not really horror, but they both deal with scary themes.
RapscallionJones
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Grim & Frostbitten

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 12:14:19 PM »

Kind of a wierd situation when you think about it really, horror movies are supposed to be scary. But I see what you mean I'll be enjoying plenty of horror movies with my kid but I wont be starting with Evil Dead.
Yeah. When I was a little kid and caught up to some of these movies, I was petrified by them but in a fun way.  I was pretty adventurous as a kid but I really don't think I could have handled something like Nightmare.  Pictures in Fangoria and ads for Return of the Living Dead left me with nightmares, so...

You can definitely ease a child into this culture, though.

I'd go with the old Universal monsters from the 1940's Frankenstien, Dracula, stuff like that. But the I do recall seeing a tv preview in early grade school for the Mummy and there was a scene where they were wrapping a guy up and it scared the hell out of me.
I've been tossing this idea around a bit.  I definitely want to include a Universal, but which one?  I think that Dracula and Frankenstein move a little too slow to hold a kid's attention, but The Mummy or The Wolfman seem to be paced a little better.

Visit the b-movie blog
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 12:26:05 PM »

I think THE WOLFMAN might be the best of the Universals.  I think that today's kids won't relate to them well, though.  My ten year old nephew hates black & white movies and refuses to watch them.

I remember THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON caught my attention as a kid.

More in the horror/comedy vein, what about WALLACE & GROMIT IN THE CURSE OF THE WERE-RABBIT?  Also, the LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS remake would probably engage youngsters, and might be guilt-free if a few four-letter words were edited out (the dentist scene will totally go over the little ones' heads).
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 12:27:57 PM by Rev. Powell » Logged

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 01:16:14 PM »

When i was little, my parents showed me THE BLOB. I was TERRIFIED.

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
peter johnson

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 01:52:51 PM »

I'd put as number one Val Lewton's "Curse of The Cat People"(1942) --
It invokes The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, has a child protagonist, and has a spooky ghost/shadows in the staircase, the threat of death, but love triumphs over all & it has a happy ending.  Plus it touches on how adults and children view the same world in different ways.  Just about a perfect horror movie for all ages.
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 02:13:00 PM »

...I'd go with the old Universal monsters from the 1940's Frankenstien, Dracula, stuff like that. But the I do recall seeing a tv preview in early grade school for the Mummy and there was a scene where they were wrapping a guy up and it scared the hell out of me...
The Universal Horrors you refer to all date to the 1930s, and yup, that scene in THE MUMMY is kind of intense.  The "Universal Horror Cycle" as collectors refer to it, does continue into the '40s, but the best and important ones are from the '30s.  DRACULA (1931) is really creaky... The original FRANKENSTEIN (1931) might be a bit too much, aside from being creaky, it has the death of a child in it which might be a nightmare harbinger... however BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1935) is spooky, funny, moves quickly, is easy to get into, and it is not necessary to have seen the first film to thoroughly enjoy the far superior sequel. 
If you want a damned fine scare with nothing untoward, try THE HAUNTING or CARNIVAL OF SOULS.  I think it's possible, though, that those could lead to wet pants. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
hellbilly
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 02:44:35 PM »

I showed my nephews and nieces (11-13 years old) The Blair Witch Project when it came out on DVD (around Halloween 1999 if memory serves me right). They never catched any of the hype so I told them that the footage was real. It worked. They were all pretty spooked  TeddyR

Horror movies I would show my own kids:

The Others (2001)
Poltergeist (1982)
Troll 2 (1990)
Gremlins (1984)
Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983)
Lady In White (1988)
Monster House (2006)
Ghost Chase (1987)
Paperhouse (1988)
The Gate (1987)

« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 02:46:46 PM by hellbilly » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Top 10 Horror movies you could show to your kids and not feel bad about « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.