Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:43:11 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Top 10 Horror movies you could show to your kids and not feel bad about « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: The Top 10 Horror movies you could show to your kids and not feel bad about  (Read 26459 times)
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 05:41:08 PM »

My parents probably take great pride that, even though I was an 80s child, I really didn't see more than half a dozen true horror movies before puberty.

I'm still making up for lost time  TeddyR yet I can't recall a single movie-induced nightmare. Seriously. There must have been one or two, but I really can't recall them.

What must have come close, and what my parents let me watch, I think, as an exception in the name of rare quality...

was ALIEN

I would only let a 10 year old watch Alien if I had a nice screen/viewing set up. 30 years later that movie is still amazing. Hopefully the VS predator movies haven't already ruined the creature's mystique.

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

It's neVer over!

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 06:27:40 PM »

I've seen quite a few I liked as a kid, and a few I've showed my kid sister that she enjoyed quite well, but for the big public audience I can only think of a few.

Nightmares - Not too much objectionable material, plenty scary, especially for unsuspecting horror n00bs (kids) on 1st viewing

The Old Dark House - Lots of great visuals and creepy characters without too much actual violence, plus it's a Universal like you wanted, and to boot one they're not likely to have seen

The Fog (Original) - Rated R, but (Like the case is with Nightmares) I seriously can't imagine why. I think the Curtis and Atkins characters may have been in bed at one point, but I'm pretty sure they weren't doing anything. The gore is pretty tame, and basically amounts to some blood (Not even splattering on anything) and I think 1 decaying face.

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 06:48:19 PM »

Hmm...

.ABBOTT and COSETLLO meet FRANKENSTEIN !!!!  Smile

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 07:54:54 PM »

10 year old kids today, aren't the 10 year old kids I grew up with ... they seem to be more desensitized to violence and gore via video games. And they are more savvy to special effects.

So I'd say about anything prior to 1960 would be kid safe today, my girls saw many early horrors films before age 10 that I watched and said they were cheezy, goofy, silly, funny, etc about every adjective but scary and frighting.

So consider the times we are in, most early movie have sappy f/X and no foul language and they might have been scary to those if us older folks in our youth, but I doubt they are to kids today.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 11:01:49 PM »

I think the biggest concern for me in sharing films with my daughters is language.  They are remarkably clean in their speech and I am very proud of that, I don't want to debase their vocabularies any more than I can help.  We watched TREMORS a few weeks back and I had forgotten that Kevin Bacon dropped an F-bomb when they killed the first big worm.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 12:21:41 AM »

The Kharis Mummy movies from the 1940s that came after the Universal films might be good and to me are fun although some may wonder why the Mummy moves so slowly. Scooby Doo on Zombie Island is a kids movie no doubt but is surprisingly good and watchable even to adult eyes.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2008, 01:42:07 AM »

Most movies I've watched until 11 years old have been mentioned, but I'd like to agree on some I have very fond memories of:

Abbot and Costello meet Frankenstein
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Frankenstein (1940?)

I know I've watched "Them" at age 11 and enjoyed it alot. "Tarantula" a bit earlier.

Nightmare before Christmas and Wallace and Gromit and the Were-Rabbit are good starters, as well as the Shop of Horrors remake.

What really scared me as a kid was "Arsenic and Old Lace".

I know I've seen "American Werewolf" at a very young age, but that one cracked me up a bit at that time...

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
Justy
Bad Movie Lover

Oh the humanity!

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 01:09:02 PM »

I would say that House (1986) would be good. That one is scary without being too gory.

Probably the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers is good as well. The 78 remake is good, but has some nudity so that is your call.

I'm another guy who watched adult movies at an early age and I am not deranged. LOL. So it really depends on the maturity level of the kid.

-----------------------------------------
"Hey that's great, but who're the Chefs?"
-----------------------------------------
Undead
Dedicated Viewer

Time to play.

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 02:40:44 PM »

(I'm assuming kids 10+ for most of these)

-The Lady in White (I love this one... very underrated little flick)
-The Monster Squad
-My Best Friend is a Vampire
-The Lost Boys
-JAWS
-Dracula
-The Mummy
-Something Wicked This Way Comes
-Poltergeist
-Garfield's Halloween Adventure (Okay, so it's not a horror movie. But it's my favorite Halloween cartoon of all time and has a special place in my orange and black little heart.  TeddyR)

Can you yell "Movie!" in a crowded fire station?
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2008, 12:29:31 AM »

Most movies I've watched until 11 years old have been mentioned, but I'd like to agree on some I have very fond memories of: Abbot and Costello meet Frankenstein  Creature from the Black Lagoon  Frankenstein (1940?)
Must have been a quick scan.  FRANKENSTEIN is 1931.
I know I've seen "American Werewolf" at a very young age, but that one cracked me up a bit at that time...
Still gory and scary and a bit intense for the pre-teen set.   TeddyR

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
peter johnson

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2008, 10:15:47 AM »

"Lost Boys"?? -- No way would I show this to kids -- I still remember the opening of the surf-nazi's head like a beer can --
peter johnson/denny eeewwww

I have no idea what this means.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2008, 06:39:59 PM »

MAD MONSTER PARTY!!!

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2008, 07:22:51 PM »

MAD MONSTER PARTY Little Tibia and Fibias :
Small | Large

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
RapscallionJones
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Grim & Frostbitten

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2008, 01:04:43 PM »

Thanks for all the recommendations, guys.  This is good stuff.

I'm not taking into account the context of kids today vs. kids when I was a kid.  I'm pretty much aware that most kids wouldn't sit still for a lot of this stuff and I'm being a little naive about what they might actually be into but it's NPR, so these sorts of recommendations are perfectly okay.

Visit the b-movie blog
http://www.cinema-suicide.com
The required Myspace profile
http://www.myspace.com/cinemasuicide
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2008, 04:31:10 PM »

Be sure to tell us what you finally choose for the list, I'm curious.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Top 10 Horror movies you could show to your kids and not feel bad about « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.