Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:47:06 AM
714230 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  30 days of Night « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 30 days of Night  (Read 4847 times)
Underbelly
Dedicated Viewer

« on: September 29, 2008, 04:25:26 PM »

This is one of those films I had heard about but never actual seen, until Saturday night. I'm a big fan of horror and vampire films but this was a horrible film. There wasn't one interesting character, the dialog was flat. I could have cared less who lived or died. The plot itself didn't make any sense. It was almost like every seen was designed just to have some great, gory, vampire killings. The end has laughable!

If this had been made on a low budget, which cheesy graphics, it might have been enjoyable.

I want those 2 hours of my life back!

xupernaut
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 07:34:54 PM »

I saw that a few months ago.I didn't think it was that bad.That said I had problems suspending my disbelief off the top of my head........

1)In this day and age how can a town be totally cut off from the world? I know the cell phone tower got taken out iirc but aren't there satellite phones? that the authorities would surely have.Anyway wouldn't anyone wonder why they couldn't get through after a day or 2 and send someone to check it out.

2) Can't planes fly at night?I mean its Alaska not the dark side of the moon.Sure weathers a problem but still.....

It is kind of a cool premise for a vampire flick though.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 12:31:56 AM »

I was disappointed by this as well. Sure the premise is cool and I even liked the ending. Problem was I never really was made to feel or care enough about any of the characters and the vampires could just have easily been werewolves or wild beasts........I disliked the lack of style and substance and that these vampires seemed mostly like faceless interchangeable baddies. Even with villains, some character development will often enhance them and their motives.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 07:37:50 AM »

I've been meaning to check this out because it sounds like a very cool concept, but I think it just sunk a bit lower on my wish list  TeddyR  I really don't care for movies where the characters aren't developed, and completely undeveloped antagonists is the greatest sin a movie can commit.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Warp Ninja X
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 10:39:13 AM »

When it first came out I went to see it because of the commercial looked like The Movie 28 Days Later. But this movie is no 28 Days Later it don't even come close to it. Where are the weapons only one stupid axe that must some magic axe. No guns, no chainsaws, no TNT. This movie was a very mega disappointment of being a vampire movie.
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 04:48:17 PM »

I thought it was OK. It didn't do anything memorable with the vampire lore, but the setting was both unusual and attractive, and some of the visuals were cool.

My main problem with it is how they handled the time issue. The main characters spend 30 days hidden, yet nothing changes much, they don't even look unkempt, and we don't know how they manage to keep themselves warm or find food or water.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 11:35:16 PM »

Having the vampires snarl and at one time, the lead one overall say "no God" wasn't enough characterization of them IMO.

Underbelly
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 05:19:53 PM »

Exactly, the time thing. Like they are up in the attic, and the vampires are searching all the homes, they have no food, if they stay, they might be caught . . . and its a week and a half later and they are still up there? Huh?

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 06:56:36 PM »

Also the vampires here were supposed to be able to smell blood so how is it none of them sniffed those hiding in the attic out. Maybe it was one of those stinky mothball odor attics that drowned it out but hey the film sure didn't explain it. Also wouldn't they have one heck of stinky bathroom up their all those days and no one flushing.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 06:58:43 PM by JaseSF » Logged

Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 10:16:51 AM »

Talk about syncronicity, I just posted a review of this at Mise-en-scene Crypt and typed up a longish post on another board!   Buggedout

I agree with the OP, but not about the movie being forgettable, just the characters.  Certain scenes stick out in my mind, granted for all the wrong reasons, but the characters?

I couldn't tell you the name of single one, they were that one dimenional.  I mean you had the sheriff, the kid, the spunky lady, the old curmudgeon. . .

yadayadaclicheclicheyadaclicheZZzzzzzboringcliche

Thumbdown

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 10:46:27 AM »

I liked this movie, the premise is good and I found that I could identify with the people of the town, watching some of their friends and family go south for the 30 days because they can't handle a night that long, and then settling in for a normal yearly event. The only fly in the ointment is all those murdered sled dogs but the stalwart sheriff is on the job and it'll be solved by daylight if not sooner, then the phones go down and life as they know it goes right out the window. There is one thing that I did find a little hard to get around, after a week or so hiding in a crawlspace/attic with out proper sanitary facilities, the vampires wouldn't need to smell blood to find the survivors. Other than this I found it very easy to suspend my disbelief and enjoy the story. I will admit that all the points raised against the film are true, in spite of this I liked this one enough to buy the DVD, but then I'm not a smart man.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 11:22:41 AM by Dennis » Logged

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
the master
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 04:15:55 PM »

some kid at my school said this was the greatest vampire movie ever
the next day he said i am legend was the greatest movie ever made Question
Underbelly
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 09:31:00 AM »

Suspend of disbelief. As I get older, I find is harder and harder to do. Maybe that's my problem with this film. And believe me Criswell, I make no claims of intelligence!

Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 10:52:15 AM »

I liked this movie, the premise is good and I found that I could identify with the people of the town, watching some of their friends and family go south for the 30 days because they can't handle a night that long

Like I said in my review/rant it's not a bad sounding premise.  But. . .

What night?

Have you ever been in an attic?  Try climbing into one at noon time sometime, I think you'll be surprised how dark attics really are.  The attic in this movie was better lit than the room I am typing in.

Have you ever been camping, I mean really camping where there's NO city and NO city lights?  Now try to imagine that darkness 24/7.

And don't even get me started on the conditions of arctic snow and cold.

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 08:58:26 PM »

I have been backpacking in the San Gabriel mountains, miles from anything, and you're right on a moonless night its black/dark as in blind, I also agree that this particular attic was pretty brightly lit but if it wasn't you couldn't see the actors, so in this case the lighting had nothing to do with the story line.
I still liked the movie in spite of its very obvious flaws. I've also had to work in snow, that's why I live in California now and not above the arctic circle like the lunatics in the movie, of course this state has a fairly large number of loonies too.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  30 days of Night « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.