Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:36:46 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Administration  |  Announcements  |  Rating System Change « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rating System Change  (Read 30755 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: September 03, 2008, 06:54:05 PM »

I have been working on a change to the rating system for a while.  What I wanted was to really simplify the ratings, something like this:

3 Slimes = You should definitely see this!
2 Slimes = You should probably see this.
1 Slime = You probably shouldn't see this.
Skull = Dear God, why?

The idea is that, when you are judging a movie solely on its entertainment value, you really do not need six levels of ratings.  In fact, what I find myself doing quite often is judging a film against several others.  "Would I watch 'The Blood of Heroes' over 'Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death?'  What about 'The Beast of Yucca Flats?'  How about...no, skip that, I hate that movie." and so on.

What I ended up with was more of a compromise, which is based on the 0-4 rating curve that should be familiar for many.  I have already gone through and made all of the adjustments.  It is not a big change, but it is a change.  The tweak to the rating system was mostly to remove the distraction from my brain, because the idea has been bugging me for some time. 

Not many movies became skulls, because those really are the worst, and have few (if any) redeeming factors.  I think 2 films dropped from single slimes to skulls, and one of them was "Jungle Hell."  Anybody who has seen "Jungle Hell" probably is not surprised.

The biggest concern is the Reader Reviews, because I cannot easily contact all of the authors.  As a quick fix, I adjusted three, four, and five slime ratings down by one point.  The skulls, one, and two slime ratings I left alone, because it starts to feel like I am splitting hairs.

If anyone who wrote a reader review wants the rating adjusted, because my blanket adjustment does not correctly reflect their intent, please let me know here or via email and I will make the change.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 08:16:28 PM »

I dunno, I myself liked the middle ground; Instead of "Best", "Average", "Bad", and "Worst", we have the choices of "Better than average, but not perfect", and "Bad, but still something I might watch more than once". Just my opinion, but it is your site.

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
akiratubo

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 09:38:14 PM »

I think you should keep the four slime rating but only use it rarely, for truly exceptional movies.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Captain Tars Tarkas
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 02:10:29 AM »

If not a four slime, than something different to signify it the best of the worst, like a whole head instead of a skull.

Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 09:30:32 AM »

If not a four slime, than something different to signify it the best of the worst, like a whole head instead of a skull.

Or a delightful yellow smiley face.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 09:43:15 AM »

A big fat star?

ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 05:46:56 PM »

I'm of another school of thought. When I'm checking out Netflix, , especially when RATING a movie, I feel there isn't enough choices. Personally, I think the current system is great: 5 slimes means it REALLY good, ,4 means it's as good as a 5 if it's your particular type of movie, less entertaining if it's not (that how it works for me anyways). I've not run into many (if any) 5s I didn't like, 4s are good with a bit of hit-or-miss on the greatness factor (Army of Darkness definitely a GREAT on in my book, , and it's a 4 slime). I haven't found any 3s that I consider GREAT, , but several that are GOOD, , the rest are ho-hum.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 06:09:22 PM »

My biggest concern is what ghouck mentions, but I'd like to see how it goes for a while.  When I was adjusting the ratings (before the change went live), I encountered much of what was voiced - that removing the 0-5 system removed a level of differentiation.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 11:10:17 AM »

I noticed it's now running on a four slime + skull system.  I think that it works well.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 09:05:01 AM »

I have actually received a number of emails about this.  So far, an interesting suggestion that popped up a few times was to use halves.  In other words, instead of a skull through 4 slime rating, this would result:

skull, 1/2 slime, 1 slime, 1 1/2 slime, and so on up to 4 slimes.

That's a bit more complex than I wanted, and I think deciding on the 1/2 slime (just above a skull) movies might be hard.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 12:38:03 PM »

I like the idea of only 3 slimes and a skull for ratings.  It's it's simple and easy to understand.  I usually only rate things out of 4 stars since it's easier to understand then me trying to explain why I gave something a 8.5 out of 10 or what ever.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 10:30:52 PM »

Three slimes and a skull work for me, although I do like the idea of an additional symbol reserved for the very best movies. Seems to round things out a bit better.

I can't see fractions working. Three slimes with half-steps is really no different from a six-slime system, which is making things more complex. Best to stick with whole numbers.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Administration  |  Announcements  |  Rating System Change « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.