Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:59:11 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Mythological Monster NOT seen in movies that you would like to see. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Mythological Monster NOT seen in movies that you would like to see.  (Read 12669 times)
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« on: October 03, 2008, 03:18:16 PM »

We've seen movies with Dragons, giants, minatours, gorgans, elves, mermaids, and now thanks to Sci-Fi channels originals the manticore, and cerberus.  But who or should I say what else. 

What monsters form myth and legend would you like to see in a movie.  Here's a few of my ideas.

1.  The Hodag  A creature from American settler legends-this ia a bear sized animal with sharp teeth, horns, and a nasty temper.  Good for the typicall small country town under attack fro a monster.

2.  The gougou  From Native America folklore.  A female sea giant that would grab people off ships and drag them under to her underwater lair to eat them later. 

3.  The Hoop Snake.  From American folklore.  It grabs its tail, and rolls after victims.  I can see the chase scene now where a heard (or whatever you call a group of snakes) chasing after the leads in hair grass/corn rows.

For those who took a mythology class in college- nows a good time to dust off the old books (you tried to turn them in for money, but since they were going to another edition they wouldn't buy them back..I hated when that happened)

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 03:44:30 PM »

I'm not sure if it has or not but I'd love to see a movie with The Minotaur in it.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 03:55:14 PM »

The Basilisk: Though it's been in Harry Potter: Chamber of Secrets and a SciFi movie, the ones in those films were incredibly different from the one I saw a picture of. What I saw a picture of was a big CHICKEN with a snake's TAIL. I want my basilisks to be that, not another random snake!

Scylla, Charybdis, Lorelei and the sirens - Though we saw them in the TV version of The Odyssey, these gals totally deserve their own film! Would be interesting to see passengers on a cruise ship constantly trying to navigate out of a sentient whirlpool, slay a seven-headed creature, and resist a plethora of beautiful chicks for a whole 2 hours!

@Patient7 - Minotaur's been in a movie or two before, but more wouldn't hurt, he's certainly not the most overused beast out there. It would be especially good if they actually adapted Theseus and Asterion's story to a full-length picture!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 03:59:22 PM by Mr. Briggs Inc. » Logged

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 04:20:04 PM »

If you're counting the Lovecraft mythos, Cthulhu and his great old one buddies obviously.

Most of the others have been mentioned.  I can't wait until they make movies out of Percy Jackson And The Olympians.  The author likes to mix in a lot of popular creatures of the myths. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Dave M
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 05:03:46 PM »

A Guamanian Taotaomo. The way I heard it, they are the ghosts of a race of giants that inhabited Guam before the Chamoro.

http://guam.org.gu/hemplo/taotaomo.html
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 06:32:45 PM »

If you're counting the Lovecraft mythos, Cthulhu and his great old one buddies obviously.

Most of the others have been mentioned.  I can't wait until they make movies out of Percy Jackson And The Olympians.  The author likes to mix in a lot of popular creatures of the myths. 

I agree with you on that one, the modern spin on the gods and monsters in it is also pretty neat.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
sideorderofninjas
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 10:32:00 PM »

3.  The Hoop Snake.  From American folklore.  It grabs its tail, and rolls after victims.  I can see the chase scene now where a heard (or whatever you call a group of snakes) chasing after the leads in hair grass/corn rows.

I want to see that on a SCi-Fi Channel Original with hula hoops to be used as special effects for the snakes..

SideOrderOfNinjas
http://www.sideorderofninjas.com

"Wielding useless trivia like a katana."
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 12:18:46 AM »

There's one I heard about years ago, but I can't remember the name.

It's an old fable the early West Virginia settlers would tell the folks back east, about a snake that's able to leap into the air & stab it's victims with it's poisonous tail.

Living in Virginia, I've heard tales here & there throughout my life about Chessie, the Chesapeake Bay Monster.

Ogopogo, just to hear the song.
His father was a tadpole, his mother was a whale
I'm going to put a little bit of salt on his tail
And Ogopogo was his name

« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 12:29:19 AM by LilCerberus » Logged

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 10:31:25 AM »

Despite CLASH OF THE TITANS and sciffy's orginal movie HARPIES the Harpy of classic Greek mythology has yet to be portrayed so I'd like to see that, for starters.  And a faithful adaptation of the story of the Minotaur, not just the Theseus tail-end of the tale, I mean from the beginning.  Starting with Pasiphae.

Maybe a movie about the Igigi (see THE ATRA-HASIS EPIC).  We've gotten quite a few odd ball takes on the Nefilim, especially on sciffy, but I don't think anyone has bothered much with Mesopotamian mythology.  That said, if I were to choose a mythological tale that hasn't been covered yet, I'd have to vote for the Epic of Gilgamesh.  I'd also like to see the story of Deucalion and Pyrra turned into a movie.

Maybe a movie exploring the 'demonic' entities/forces/powers associated with the Qlippoth.

And, just for the fun of it, I'd like to see someone tackle Zecharia Sitchin's interpretations on classical mythology and bring his idea to the big screen.  Can't be any worse than the endless stream of remakes Hollyweird has been urinating on the masses.

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 06:14:20 PM »

Despite CLASH OF THE TITANS and sciffy's orginal movie HARPIES the Harpy of classic Greek mythology has yet to be portrayed so I'd like to see that, for starters.  And a faithful adaptation of the story of the Minotaur, not just the Theseus tail-end of the tale, I mean from the beginning.  Starting with Pasiphae.

I liked the Harpies in JASON & THE ARGONAUTS.

Not the best image, but they were nasty little buggers, if you remember.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
inframan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 12:08:54 PM »

I'm not sure if it has or not but I'd love to see a movie with The Minotaur in it.

I believe there was a Sinbad (or other Harryhausen movie) that had one.
Justy
Bad Movie Lover

Oh the humanity!

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 09:52:52 AM »

Have Chupacabras been incorporated into a movie yet? I'd love to seen the goat suckers get some screen time.

This is what really is p**sing me off about the D&D franchise they have a crapload of great monsters which I guess is protected by copyright and they can't put a decent movie together. I've heard that the second D&D movie is better, I haven't seen it yet since it went to straight to video. If it is based in any way on the universe from the first movie then it will have continued to give a very poor accounting of the proper portrayal of their monsters.

The World of Warcraft movie which should be right around the corner has the potential for some good beasties.

-----------------------------------------
"Hey that's great, but who're the Chefs?"
-----------------------------------------
Cthulhu

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 11:33:27 AM »

Have Chupacabras been incorporated into a movie yet?

Yes, althrough I have not seen it yet: http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0435617/
Chupacabra terror...sounds promising.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 01:56:36 PM »

I believe there was a Sinbad (or other Harryhausen movie) that had one.

Also "The Chronicles of Narnia: the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" has a Minotaur in it. Actually, he's the leader of the White Queen's army, and he is one bad dude.
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 04:32:53 PM »

There was a Sci-Fi original movie based on the Minatour Myth, with Thesues and the maze.  The story was chagned, and the minatour looked like the ones from the God of War video game.  I thought it was good for a sci-fi original.

Got my Monster Spotter's Guide to North America here in front of me.  Let me see if I can find some more creatures for movies.

Guyascutus-according to the description its a dragon like creature with attributes of alligators, armadillos, rabbits, and deers.  Love to see the concept art of that.  It also has telescoping legs to help it run on the sides of mountains (which I've just noticed is a common motif of these america settler folklore.)

The amhuluk-description given is that its a great serpent with horns.  One of the legends is that it speared some children and dragged them into the lake. A few days later when their father came looking for them, the undead children rose from the water.  The father was unable to get the kids to return with him-and they went back into the lake.--Monsters and Zombies?  Perfect b-movie.  I see the vengeful father trying to kill the monster in order to release the souls of his kids.

The Lake Iliammna monsters-from cryptozology.  Unlike most lake monsters that are supposed to be giant serpents.  These are large unknown fish in this cold Northern lake.  They are said to be extemely large and fierce.  Some believe them to be a type of freshwater shark.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Mythological Monster NOT seen in movies that you would like to see. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.