Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:01:35 AM
713384 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  AN AMERICAN CAROL (2008) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AN AMERICAN CAROL (2008)  (Read 5391 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: October 03, 2008, 10:16:09 PM »

Well, my wife and I and another couple went and checked this movie out tonight.  As all of you know, I am one of the board's resident right-wingers, and so you might say that I was prepared to like this movie from the get-go.  But still, knowing that all of  you here at Badmovies.org were depending on me, I decided to try and be as objective as possible.
And here is my review:

It's not a great film.  But it's not bad either.
Spoofs have been really weak of late - everyone on this board has lamented the fact that the new generation of spoofs simply aren't very funny.  They have two or three good gags, and all of those are in the trailer.
This film keeps the gags coming from start to finish.  Some of them are really funny, and some are lame, but the majority of them are pretty humorous.
The casting is awesome - Leslie Nielsen, Kevin Sorbo, John Voight, Kelsey Grammer, James Woods, Trace Adkins, Paris Hilton, Dennis Hopper, and Bill O'Reilly all show up at one point or another, and   Kevin Farley does a great job as anti-American slob and documentary filmmaker, Michael Malone.

As the title implies, the story kind of follows the lines of Dicken's A CHRISTMAS CAROL.    Malone has just finished his latest film, DIE YOU AMERICAN SCUM, for which he wins the Movealong.org Film Award for Best Documentary.  He is then contacted by an Islamist terrorist group that want him to make a recruitment film for them - but what they really want is for him to get them press passes into Madison Square Gardens so they can blow up a huge Trace Adkins concert for U.S. military families that is the same day as his "Let's Abolish the Fourth of July" rally. 
That night, as he is watching an old film of JFK's inaugural, Kennedy suddenly steps through the screen and warns Michael that he is dragging his country through the mud, and that he will be visited by three ghosts who will show him the error of his ways.  The next morning, the ghost of General Patton, played by Kelsey Grammer, shows up to begin his re-education.  (HISTORY NERD NOTE: Kelsey Grammer looks much more like the real General Patton than George C. Scott.  I would love to see him tackle the same role in a serious film.  For that matter, I also want to see Robin Williams play Teddy Roosevelt in a serious movie after seeing him in NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM!)  Patton takes Michael around and shows him scenes from World War II, as well as a look at what the South would look like today if Lincoln had not found slavery worth fighting to end (look for a  neat Gary Coleman cameo in this scene).  Later, Michael meets George Washington and the Angel of Death, played by Trace Adkins himself.  There is a song and dance number by a group of college professors as well as an attack by the "Living Dead" ACLU zombies.

Parts of the film worked really well.  Farley gets slapped by nearly every character in the movie at some point (Typical scene, he says to Patton "You mean they can't see us?"  Patton says "That's correct!"  "Cool!!" says Michael, and tries to grab some girls boobs . . . and gets slapped!)  The Rosie O'Connell character, with her "documentary" on radical Christians, is just over-the-top hilarious.  Other parts fell flat.  When Farley sees his own demise in the future, as the result of a terrorist nuclear attack, all that was left of him for the pathologists to identify was his fat backside - which the coroners start playing catch with!! Eeewww!!    The scene with Jimmy Carter was also in poor taste.

But by and large, the thing to remember is that this movie is a slapstick spoof, a silly jab at the left.  Fair and balanced?  Absolutely not!!!  Funny?  More often than not.  At the very least, it was funnier than the last three bigscreen spoofs I have seen. Sadly, that's not saying much!

Anybody else go see it?

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 08:38:26 AM »

I really want to see this.  I'm hoping that since some of the Airplane!/Naked Gun people are involved, it'd be good.  I'm a little weary though, as they were also involved in Scary Movie 3 and 4, which weren't so great. 

Hopefully, if a local theater is playing it, I'll get to see it.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 10:16:16 AM »

it seems sort of besides the point.  like doing a parody of jews while the holcaust is going on.    we are in the middle of two wars and a recession/ possibly depression.  "the left" are just about the least thing that annoys me .  they didn't do all this.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 12:42:53 PM »

Lester, if you had liked this, my entire view of the universe would have been altered forever! Wink

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 10:44:02 AM »

I knows it's PG-13, is it truly kid safe for a 13 year old? I'm going to go see it today I have to drive about 100 miles to fine a theater that is showing it which is quite annoying since they are showing that garage by Bill Mayer locally.

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 10:43:39 PM »

It's somewhat crude in places, but I would say it depends on the 13 year old. The grossest part is when the coroner's start playing catch with Michael's severed buttocks . . . . that, and the airport screenings in Rosie O'Conell's "Radical Christians" documentary ("Sorry ma'am - we have to check - ever since the Radical Christian Suppository Bomber!").

Come to think of it, that scene was pretty funny.

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 02:04:50 AM »

It's somewhat crude in places, but I would say it depends on the 13 year old. The grossest part is when the coroner's start playing catch with Michael's severed buttocks . . . . that, and the airport screenings in Rosie O'Conell's "Radical Christians" documentary ("Sorry ma'am - we have to check - ever since the Radical Christian Suppository Bomber!").

Come to think of it, that scene was pretty funny.

To late I've already gone to see it, I thought it was pretty funny there wasn't many people there since we went to the 2:00 showing. It did have a few assorted cuss words in it so my daughter was saying "Oh my that was unexpected." I used my George Carlin line on her "Don't say those words just hear them."

The butt scene was funny, the kid was cracking up that wasn't that bad to me. Over it was fun and a nice change from all the hate films out there. It could have been funnier, but I'd give it about 7/10 overall. I'm giving it a little extra for bucking the Hollywood system, I'd like to see more of them.

Spoiler ...

I'll admit I got a little lump in my throat at the need when they panned the audience at the concert and there was servicemen there from all the wars back to the Revolution we've weathered. Just a subtle reminder of the incredible price that has been paid to allow so many freedom, it's sad so few seem to respect that and seemingly mock it ... and they wonder why it angers some of us so.

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 05:48:02 AM »

It's doing pretty well at the box office to.  I guess there is a greater desire for that sort of film than Hollywood is willing to admit.

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 09:32:39 AM »

It's doing pretty well at the box office to.  I guess there is a greater desire for that sort of film than Hollywood is willing to admit.

Yeah, but the loony left is running a campaign to run it in the dirt. It's sad how much vile there is across the aisle.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 09:39:14 AM »

when the coroner's start playing catch with Michael's severed buttocks . . . . that, and the airport screenings in Rosie O'Conell's "Radical Christians" documentary ("Sorry ma'am - we have to check - ever since the Radical Christian Suppository Bomber!").

It's sad how much vile there is across the aisle.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 09:57:11 AM »

also:   http://www.takimag.com/blogs/article/anti_fascist_iairplane_i/
Dave M
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 05:49:34 PM »

like doing a parody of jews while the holcaust is going on. 

Yes. Indeed. That is EXACTLY what it is like.  BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  AN AMERICAN CAROL (2008) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.