Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:51:48 AM
714230 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  A-movies before the '90s? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A-movies before the '90s?  (Read 2626 times)
Terf
Bad Movie Lover

I wish I could be as popular as you think you are.

« on: October 04, 2008, 07:33:33 PM »

What movies before the '90s would one classify as A instead of B? Jaws? Star Wars? Alien? (I'm trying to figure this out.)

Things could be worse; you could be twins.
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 08:06:29 PM »

that's an interesting question, dunno really...

anything with a significant budget and the resulting box-office reciepts to justify it, maybe?

not sure anyone could call Star Wars a B-Movie. It's too massive, although it does have a 'cult' appeal, which would suggest it fits into the category of a niche/underground movie somehow...

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 09:46:23 PM »

Before about 1960, it was easy to tell which movies were B-movies.  The B-movies were at the bottom of the bill in double or triple features.

Between 1960 and 1985 (the rise of the VCR), the double feature almost disappeared.  B-movies would sometimes appear on the bottom half of drive-in double features.  Most of the time, the low budget features that premiered in grindhouses or drive-in would be considered b-movies. 

JAWS and STAR WARS were both intended for first run theaters, so I would consider them A-movies. 

After the debut of the VCR when everything became first run, the distinction between A and B movies became one entirely of style and budget.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Terf
Bad Movie Lover

I wish I could be as popular as you think you are.

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 09:49:06 PM »

Would "Resident Evil" really be considered a B-movie?!

Things could be worse; you could be twins.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 07:47:34 AM »

Back in the '70s you had stuff like the Poseidon Adventure, Earthquake, Towering Inferno, Superman, all those Death Wish and Dirty Harry movies, Clint Eastwood Westerns, all those Airport Movies, Godfather movies, the Rocky movies, Saturday Night Fever.  In the '80s you had the Roger Moore James Bond movies, a lot of comedies like 9 to 5, Ghostbusters, Eddie Murphy movies, Crocodile Dundee movies, Back to the Future, Airplane! etc., then there were the Indiana Jones movies, all the Star Trek movies, ET, Top Gun.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Justy
Bad Movie Lover

Oh the humanity!

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 01:42:29 PM »

There are quite a bit. I would add the following movies:

The Rocky series
The Mel Brooks comedies
The Goonies
National Lampoons Animal House and Vacation
The Star Trek series
Patton
The Breakfast Club

I would say that any movie that was successful and was seriously green-lighted. I am sure that there were A-list flops and B-movies successes. So I wouldn't just credit box office success, but there had to be the serious push of the studio or taken "seriously" by the critics and media. Something like Cannonball Run would that qualify a A-List? Smokey and The Bandit I would, but not so much Cannonball Run.

-----------------------------------------
"Hey that's great, but who're the Chefs?"
-----------------------------------------
Cult Movie Mania
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 07:03:07 AM »

Would "Resident Evil" really be considered a B-movie?!

Yes.  B-movies really don't exist anymore, in the literal sense.  Being that there are hardly any drive-ins/double-triple features anymore, we've pretty much been stuck with "A" movies for the past twenty-something years.

If you hear the term B-movie now, it's a term of convenience to describe low-budget fantastic genre fare.  Though, I'd argue that most "B-movies" are much better than "A-movies".

Your weird wide web HQ for the BEST Cult and Horror Movie coverage!
www.cultmoviemania.com
www.filthythemovie.com
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  A-movies before the '90s? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.