Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:54:31 PM
714369 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What Badness can't you tolerate? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: What Badness can't you tolerate?  (Read 10677 times)
Nukie 2
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I did it all for the...

« on: October 07, 2008, 08:51:01 AM »

I for one can't tolerate a movie where  most of it is spent in a lab or office where nothing happens. This only works if theres something being tourtured, or if there are experiments taking place and you are able to asee them. I hate being told about the slides. When the scientists yack about the freaks cell structure, newsflash, it doesn't add a technical edge to the film, the analysis won't make sense anyways BECAUSE IT'S FICTION, SO DON'T SPEND SO MUCH TIME ON IT

If a movie is spent mostly in a police office, it will only work if we don't know who or what is the cause of death, and if you have forsensic operations happening. But, please do not tell me exclusively eveything going on on the cellular level-- see capitalised sentance above.

Bottom line with this issue, it's dangerous to have most of the movie in a lab or office, it retards the pacing of the movie.

Finally I hate it when most of the movie we're told the monster is "over there!" or "over there!" ,and we don't get very good glimpses of the monster until the ending. Why do you think we rent/ buy monster movies? To see what it looks like-- if it's really crappy, it's funny; it's really good, it's really good.

Watch Nukie on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wab1Y713tN0
"Like" International Fans of the Movie Nukie and Sias Odendaal on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Fans-of-the-Movie-Nukie-and-Sias-Odendaal/135820159771783
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 09:14:52 AM »

I hate padding, and no, I'm not talking about anything having to do with bras.  I'm talking about when a movie introduces utterly irrelevant subplots, just for the sake of killing time.  For instance, the movie Petrified.  There's a scientist conducting experiments into immortality.  He spends a good deal of time explaining this.  It has absolutely nothing to do with anything in the movie.  He may as well have spent five minutes talking about the classes he took in college.  There are also a couple of detectives who walk around outside, discovering bodies and talking about them.  They never play any part in the movie whatsoever.  Probably the most egregious example is a movie called Tower of Blood, that I just watched the other day.  The opening credit sequence is over 10 minutes long.  So are the closing credits.  We also get a music video in the middle of the movie and, just to kill yet more time, a five minute scene where a guy tries to talk someone into buying beer for him and his buddies.  It's a 75 minute movie, yet only about 45 once you get rid of the blatant padding.  Nothing kills my interest in what is going on in the movie faster than padding.

Another thing is completely ineffective character development scenes.  Like The Descent, the first 20 minutes are wasted with these characters talking, and we don't get to know any of them even the slightest bit.  Numerous movies are guilty of this.  Or get to know the characters by having them argue, making the audience dislike everyone right from the start, but apparently screenwriters are under the assumption that audiences are attracted to obnoxious a-holes, so they stick it into one movie after another after another.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 09:21:22 AM »

I cannot tolerate badness that arises from the filmmaker trying to be artistic but ending up producing a boring, incoherent mess.  For a perfect example, please see my recent comments about FRANKENSTEIN'S BLOODY NIGHTMARE. 

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 09:29:53 AM »

for me ,romantic sub-plots are usually the most boring & tedious aspect of any film they appear in. yet somehow every film seems to need one. almost as if the directors are afraid any movie that isn't underpinned by a firm heterosexual soap story will be labelled as "art-house" or just unmarketable...

also: numerous "false endings" where the monster/bad guy isn't really dead but we think they are. any more than one false ending is unforgivable

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 10:29:07 AM »

This needs no explanation...

Cthulhu

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 11:26:07 AM »

I hate if the movie is boring. Fright night http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062036/ is a perfect example fo that. It's a monster movie, and we only see the monster for about 2 minutes IN THE WHOLE FILM. Nothing happens, just retarded characters talking about stuff that nobody cares about.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 09:06:49 AM by Cthulhu » Logged
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 11:53:55 AM »

Some of these have been mentioned
1.) Time killing search scenes with numerous false scares over ominous music.
2.) Pointless romantic interludes.  Can't a male and female work together without porking?
3.) Repeated gore for the sake of shock. 
4.) Comic relief characters.
5.) The last minute monster appearance.
6.) Box art that misrepresents anything going on in the film.
7.) Sloppy editing and repeated scenes.
8.) Twist endings.  You know, where the monster is "defeated" but yet the ending hints at the monster still being alive.  Idiocy, makes the two year long climax you witnessed seem rather pointless.
9.) Movies that have near nude scenes but lack the fortitude to actually show boobies.
10.) Movies that seem to have 8 ideas Scotch taped to each other with the hope audience understand the film. 

Theres many more...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 11:55:45 AM by The DarkSider » Logged

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 12:29:36 PM »

6.) Box art that misrepresents anything going on in the film.

agreed. the one that springs to mind for me is this sleeve for LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT

makes it look like some kind of spooky ghost movie with a haunted house?!?!?

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 02:54:10 PM »

2.) Pointless romantic interludes.  Can't a male and female work together without porking?

No.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 03:12:24 PM »

I hate it when they are in commando mode and they go on and on about the mission.  I saw one movies  "the crazies" where the entire movie was mission talk. 

having a pregnant woman in peril is a cheap way to add tension.

kidnapping / crime  where everything starts to fall apart. 
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 04:29:54 PM »

In the opening credits when they show only artsy shots and the credits so everyone is forced to read who the director of photagraphy was, if I cared or if a producer cared, they'd check the end credits.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 04:43:00 PM »

3.) Repeated gore for the sake of shock. 

I personally enjoy endless gore, hehe.   TeddyR

I hate it when they try to redirect our hatred for the monster or psycho to the "Designated a***ole" character that suddenly has to be in every horror movie now.  Especially if this a***ole is given way too much screen time (THE BURNING) or if this person's death scene is extremely lame (LIVING DEAD OF MANCHESTER MORGUE)
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 06:06:26 PM »

I hate if the movie is boring. Fright night is a perfect example fo that. It's a monster movie, and we only see the monster for about 2 minutes IN THE WHOLE FILM. Nothing happens, just retarded characters talking about stuff that nobody cares about.
What?!?!? I gotta take time out to go off on something of a rant here; Jerry turns vampire for at least a very memorable 15 minutes, and proves a menacing, and cool as hell villain for a good chunk of the rest. Not to mention the other villains; the incredible melting henchman and the gruesomely transformed Evil Ed! The film is far from boring, most of it is plotting, but there is a good atmosphere kept up, and the characters are not effing retarded! (Well, not in a bad way) Charlie is a cool nerd type, Amy is great as the mousey girl next door, Peter Vincent is an extremely memorable hunter, in fact, everyone down to the one-scene detective is memorable!

Geez, back on topic, there is very little that I cannot actually tolerate, though there is quite a bit a really don't like to see; I am in agreement with Nukie as well as Darksider for the most part (Misleading box art doesn't really irk me unless there is no description on the back). I ain't big on 1950s stuff for the former reason; too much exposition, and most of Darksider's stuff can fit into one category: Formula. I do not like when stuff falls into an irritatingly predictable rut, especially when the filmmakers, and sometimes the fans act like the film in question is just the absolutely best of it's kind. Hatred

One I don't think people have mentioned is crappy characters. I hate watching characters die, no matter how creatively, when they have no personality whatsoever! In the same way, I don't like it when absolutely hatable characters survive, and worse, are completely forgotten about Hatred . This is why I don't like Scarecrow Slayer!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 06:08:20 PM by Mr. Briggs Inc. » Logged

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 08:03:57 PM »

Hmm seems to me most of what's been mentioned is often key aspects I expect from B-movies. The problem is in the execution I feel...when it isn't done convincingly, that's where trouble lies. The thing I loathe is CGI, especially poor cheaply done CGI. I'm just not convinced that your animated monster is anything more than a two dimensional drawing.......sorry! A guy in a suit with a visible zipper I actually find more convincing! Movies shouldn't look like video games IMO.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
sideorderofninjas
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 10:24:58 PM »

I have to say a boring movie is the hardest to stand.  A movie doesn't always have to focus on the monster all the time.  Some movies I'd forgotten how little the monster was focused on like Critters

The dreaded "Too-Dark-To-See" scenes get awfully tiring fast, too. 

SideOrderOfNinjas
http://www.sideorderofninjas.com

"Wielding useless trivia like a katana."
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What Badness can't you tolerate? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.