Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:43:00 PM
714217 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  WHAT FILM INVENTED THE GENRE? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: WHAT FILM INVENTED THE GENRE?  (Read 28327 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2008, 05:25:38 PM »

Similarly Star Wars most certainly did NOT invent the space opera genre, a genre which really evolved in the pulps, was even adapted into various comic formats, and became caricaturized in the early B&W serials (Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, &tc) then slowly began to re-emerge in the 50s as, once again, stories for grown up audiences.  Yet when most movie critics review a space opera themed movie Star Wars is inevitably the ONE movie they ALL refer to.  Seldom will a critic even seem aware of the literary genre from which these movies draw their inspiration, much less the movies and serials that preceded it, which is a shame.

Quite a few people fail to understand that Lucas was paying tribute to the serials of his own childhood with movies like Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark. It would be most accurate to say that those movies ushered in a new era for their respective genres.

Personally, I prefer the approach that defines a seminal film by what it brought to the genre. Star Wars was far from an original story, and Lucas is pretty honest about using sources like Joseph Campbell, Isaac Asimov, Fritz Lang, etc. The movies that copied the plot are not really important.

The importance of Star Wars, aside from being a cultural phenomenon, has more to do with technical innovation, style and even its revolutionary approach to merchandising. After Star Wars, practically every movie and TV show set in space adopted techniques from Star Wars and tried to look like Star Wars. The scale got bigger. Spaceships became huge, highly-detailed, blockier and covered in hull plating and other details, not to mention huge, glowing reaction engines on the rear. Space battles all included small fighter craft. The future became decidedly more lived-in, with the norm being less shiny and clean, and more old, dirty and patched up.

Star Wars did not so much invent a genre as redefine it.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2008, 12:44:19 PM »

How about the gangster movie, the kind that focus on the gangster? Modern audiences would probably point to the "Godfather" franchise, but I'd guess that James Cagney's Public Enemy (1931) probably created this genre, unless anybody knows of earlier or more iconic examples...
LITTLE CAESAR (1931 also) starring EDWARD G. ROBINSON is certainly a contender for at least co-founding the modern gangster genre. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Menard
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2008, 01:30:58 PM »

How about the gangster movie, the kind that focus on the gangster? Modern audiences would probably point to the "Godfather" franchise, but I'd guess that James Cagney's Public Enemy (1931) probably created this genre, unless anybody knows of earlier or more iconic examples...
LITTLE CAESAR (1931 also) starring EDWARD G. ROBINSON is certainly a contender for at least co-founding the modern gangster genre. 

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2008, 10:37:24 PM »

I think this film, cited below in a screencap, invented it's own genre... but I can't decide what exactly the genre would be... what film?  What genre? 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 10:45:34 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

Menard
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2008, 10:53:08 PM »

I think this film, cited below in a screencap, invented it's own genre... but I can't decide what exactly the genre would be... what film?  What genre? 

Remington Electric Razor commercials?  TeddyR
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2008, 11:08:13 PM »

Remington Electric Razor commercials?  TeddyR
Nome!

Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2008, 11:35:40 PM »

I was reading an anime magazine a while back, and there was an article discussing this very issue (though in that case, it was what series started anime genres/cliches-giant robots, fan service, magical girls, etc). One of the major issues the article brought up, which many have already mentioned here in one way or another, is that there is a difference between a film/series that creates a genre, and one that makes the conventions of the genre stick. To use another anime reference (I'm about to really nerd out here), the first real japanese "magical girl" series was Sally the Witch, back in the 70's. Yet the show that made the trend popular was Cutie Honey, which came much later. In the same way, while Blood Feast may have been the first to use gore, Psycho is definately the film that made the slasher genre really take off. (

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
Menard
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2008, 12:58:06 AM »

...while Blood Feast may have been the first to use gore, Psycho is definately the film that made the slasher genre really take off. (

Psycho preceded Blood Feast by 3 years. The slasher sub-genre really didn't take off until much later. Though Halloween was the catalyst for it, even though it existed in bits before that, what really set it into motion, IMO, was Friday the 13th. The number of slasher flicks released shortly after the success of Friday the 13th was astounding. Friday the 13th was released 2 years after Halloween.
Dr. Whom
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2008, 07:55:35 AM »

BTW, did The Attack of the Killer Tomatoes introduce the trope of monsters being killed by music?

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Jim H

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2008, 12:19:55 PM »

BLOOD FREAK (1972) definitely started the Christian gore/anti-drug horror movie genre. 

MR VAMPIRE - Jiang Shi
[/quote]

Heh, yeah.  Here's a few other HK film sub-genres.

The gambling film - God of Gamblers
Heroic Bloodshed - A Better Tomorrow (I've heard some people argue Long Arm of the Law, but I disagree)
Kung fu film - The Chinese Boxer (in the sense of being based around bare handed fighting instead of weapons fighting)

Also, the blind/handicapped fighter genre really starts off with the first Zatoichi film, The Tale of Zatoichi.
peter johnson

« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2008, 12:47:41 PM »

Hey!  Allhallowsday asked a question!  We should at least try to answer --
I don't know what film the still is from -- It looks French/late '50's/early '60's.  But what genre hasn't been discussed yet?
She looks like she's trying to seduce him -- but it couldn't be the first "let's kill my husband for money" flick, as this doesn't look as old as "Double Indemnity" --
We need clues --
peter johnson/denny clueless

I have no idea what this means.
Raffine

« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2008, 01:13:29 PM »

Is it an obscure non-English documentary that is considered a groundbreaking classic in it's country of origin?

TeddyR

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2008, 10:56:10 PM »

Is it an obscure non-English documentary that is considered a groundbreaking classic in it's country of origin? TeddyR
Hardly obscure, though it's a near miracle the film is extant.  It is non-English but no documentary... and considered a groundbreaking classic of world cinema. 

peter johnson

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2008, 01:58:46 PM »

Wages of Fear?

I have no idea what this means.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2008, 02:12:04 PM »

Not sure if it INVENTED the genre, but 'Poultrygiest' is the best Independent, Low-Budget, Zombie-Chicken Musical Parody I've seen in , ,well, , ever.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  WHAT FILM INVENTED THE GENRE? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.