Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:33:17 PM
713362 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  WHAT FILM INVENTED THE GENRE? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: WHAT FILM INVENTED THE GENRE?  (Read 28190 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2008, 05:08:34 PM »

Wages of Fear?
Nome.  The film is Italian and quite a bit earlier than WAGES OF FEAR.  If you'd seen this film you'd know it by the still.  Some say this is the genesis of a film school, many dissent, and understandably. 

« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 07:45:42 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2008, 10:09:01 PM »

Is it "Rome, Open City?"

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2008, 09:12:07 PM »

Is it "Rome, Open City?"
You're getting warmer...

peter johnson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2008, 11:21:19 AM »

Not "The Bicycle Thief"?

I have no idea what this means.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2008, 11:54:04 AM »

Not "The Bicycle Thief"?
Not THE BICYCLE THIEF or BICYCLE THIEVES (aka LADRI DI BICICLETTE).  You boys need to look at more of these great Italian films...  Smile  This film is typically cited as the first "Neorealist" film, or "proto" neorealist, but as I wrote, an argument could be made that it isn't. 

Raffine

« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2008, 12:39:54 PM »

You boys need to look at more of these great Italian films...

Who you callin' boy, boy?  Hatred

Why, it's Ossessione (Obsession), neo-naturally!

« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 12:43:58 PM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2008, 06:08:37 PM »

You boys need to look at more of these great Italian films...
...Why, it's Ossessione (Obsession), neo-naturally!
OSSESSIONE is correct!   Made during the war, and banned by the Fascists, they even attempted to eradicate the film by destroying all prints and negatives (but LUCHINO VISCONTI kept a copy negative hidden).  This film is usually the starting point for critics and fans of Italian Neorealism. 

Since Metropolisforever doesn't seem to be around, I'm glad to hijack his game.  If you care to Raffine, post another pic with either a hint of the genre, as the starter of one, or whatever you want.  Let's not get too obscure!  I'm surprised OSSESSIONE was such a difficult one! 

ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2008, 11:32:21 PM »

...Case and point with 'I Spit on Your Grave': it was born out of a Made-for-TV movie called 'Revenge for a Rape' which preceded it by two years. There are two main differences between the two movies in that the victim in 'Revenge' is not the one who is the avenger, but her husband (played by Mike Connors), and 'Spit' does not have the twist ending as she knew her attackers, unlike in 'Revenge' where he thought he knew who they were, but he killed the wrong guys.

Even though 'Revenge' inspired 'Spit', and the later 3D movie 'Hunting Season' (which was a direct take-off of it, save that the victim is the hunter, but makes the same mistake), 'Revenge' did not become the poster child of the sub-genre, but 'Spit' did.

Though, even before both of those, some would point to movies like 'They Call Her One Eye' and 'Last House on the Left', even though both of those were preceded by 'Hannie Caulder' (1971).

Quite frankly, 'I Spit on Your Grave' was rather late in the sub-genre as rape and rape/revenge was not a stranger to the grindhouse scene of the late 60s and early 70s.

and despite it not being an overt exploitation flick, it's widely recognized that the virgin spring (1960) was one of the precursors to last house on the left.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2008, 12:24:13 AM »

...and despite it not being an overt exploitation flick, it's widely recognized that the virgin spring (1960) was one of the precursors to last house on the left.
THE VIRGIN SPRING is a film I'm not fond of and the progenitor of LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT, a film I loathe (yet, I recognize it's importance).  THE VIRGIN SPRING is a fable, and, artful enough to get away with it's subject matter in ways that LAST HOUSE does not.   

Menard
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2008, 01:43:05 AM »

and despite it not being an overt exploitation flick, it's widely recognized that the virgin spring (1960) was one of the precursors to last house on the left.

Now there's an irony.

First, thank you; I had seen this movie back in the 70s on PBS, not long after Last House was released, but had no idea what it was called.

I was going to mention some of the scenes from it, but being that I did not know what it was, or the year, it seemed pointless. Certainly a controversial point in the film is the father killing the young boy; that scene alone would probably prevent it from being shown today.

A major difference between The Virgin Spring and Last House (aside from the period of the films) is that the father in Virgin Spring has no fear of the men who murdered his daughter; quite the contrary, when the showdown comes to a head, he is the one in control of two cowering men.

Certainly another difference is symbolism in Virgin Spring, and lack of anything beyond a basic script in Last House; unless you want to count the keystone cops as depth.

The father, in Virgin Spring, bides his time in taking revenge. I don't remember it all that well, but he does not fear the men, but more he seems to question what he ultimately feels he has to do.

There certainly is more than several references to cleansing in The Virgin Spring. The father wrestles a tree to the ground to use for the scrubbers to allow to men to bathe before he enacts his revenge.

The killing of the child could be taken in several ways from extinguishing the evil completely including any seed from which it can grow, to suggesting that no apple falls far from the tree.

A scene that grossed me out at the time was when the mute took a bite out of the loaf of bread that the sister had placed the frog in, and he bit right into the frog.

It's been a while since I have seen Virgin Spring, over 30 years, so my memories may not be that good.
ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2008, 02:35:16 AM »

well, i'm not trying to say that the two films are of the same quality.

Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2008, 04:12:23 PM »

And what of ALIEN?  There's numerous movies that get panned as being "Alien knock-offs" yet many of us here can point to specific movies that came out years before Alien which were, if not virtually identical, so close to what Alien was that it boggles the mind.  For instance there was PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES, a movie with virtually the same premise as ALIEN.  Both movies involve ships landing on a distant world to investigate a alien signal, IIRC.  Both movies have their characters stumble on an alien vessel, finding giant sized dead aliens, and fighting off parasitic alien life forms.  (IN POV they are preternatural spirit entities that inhabit the dead as opposed to the physical xenoid BEM alien parasites of ALIEN.)  Yet it's ALIEN that has become, and  remains, the genre yardstick.  Even though some of the latter movies are really knock-offs of imitators movies!

I'm reminded of It! The Terror from Beyond Space, which had an extraterrestrial that hid in ventilator shafts, dragged people off to their deaths, was near impervious to weapons, and slowly picked the crew off one by one, as they gradually lost their ground and were forced to close off sections of their ship... um, except "It!" came out in the fifties  TongueOut Truly, it's all been done before...
Raffine

« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2008, 05:41:36 PM »

If you care to Raffine, post another pic with either a hint of the genre, as the starter of one, or whatever you want.  Let's not get too obscure!

OK: Here's a couple of photos from films that invented their genres that might be a bit easy:

Film #1.

Film #2.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Jim H

« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2008, 07:51:52 PM »

that scene alone would probably prevent it from being shown today.

What do you mean?  It was on IFC, I believe, a year or two ago.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2008, 08:33:32 PM »

If you care to Raffine, post another pic with either a hint of the genre, as the starter of one, or whatever you want.  Let's not get too obscure!

OK: Here's a couple of photos from films that invented their genres that might be a bit easy:

Film #1.

Film #2.

Not sure about #1, but pretty sure #2 is BEACH PARTY.

Do I post 1/2 of a picture from a film that founded a half-genre, or what?   BounceGiggle  I'll defer to whoever can get #1.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  WHAT FILM INVENTED THE GENRE? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.