Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:03:18 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  David Zucker's Pathetic Reaction to Box Office Bomb « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: David Zucker's Pathetic Reaction to Box Office Bomb  (Read 23181 times)
Metropolisforever
« on: October 10, 2008, 10:12:01 AM »

As a result of the poor box office showing for that god-awful An American Carol, the film's website suggested that "ticket fraud" had occurred, where moviegoers had bought tickets for An American Carol, but had instead been given tickets to see another film, in an attempt to artificially minimize the film's box office draw. The page has since been taken down.

Also, the film was not screened for critics. Director David Zucker said that this was because the studio did not believe it would get a fair hearing from critics, due to its conservative political viewpoint.

Apparently, it's all part of a vast left-wing conspiracy to destroy all conservative films.

Yeah, whatever.

Hey, Zucker, did you ever think that maybe the film bombed because it sucks ass?  I mean, really, this has got to be among the worst films I have ever seen, filled with horribly unfunny "jokes", nasty attacks against Michael Moore, and racist, sexist, homophobic, anti-Semitic, xenophobic, and just plain ignorant ramblings.

Michael Moore could certainly be a good target for satire, but this movie isn't satire.  It's nasty, ugly, mean, and, not to mention, highly unfunny.  It's like a right-wing version of Seltzerburg.

Next time you make a movie, Zucker, why don't you try to actually, well, you know, be funny, instead of just trying to cram your bigoted views down people's throats.

An American Carol is about as unfunny as "comedy" can get.

Of course, feel free to post your opinions on this travesty.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 10:27:47 PM by Metropolisforever » Logged
inframan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 10:35:51 AM »

I didnt see it, but the commercial looked like one of those 'reference movies' like epic movie, I thought it was made by those same morons.  Actually I don't like even calling those movies, its an insut to the medium.
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 12:13:49 PM »

This reminds me of Uwe Boll's statement on why theaters didn't want to carry Postal after months of vowing that his movie would outdo Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Turd. Instead of admitting Postal probably wouldn't hold the mainstream appeal (and money) that theater owners usually prefer from the movies they show, he vowed that his movie was being unfairly ignored because of it's "controversial" content and that it was tantamount to censorship... I'm still not sure whether he's a dumbass or a jackass.

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
Metropolisforever
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 12:55:24 PM »

This reminds me of Uwe Boll's statement on why theaters didn't want to carry Postal after months of vowing that his movie would outdo Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Turd. Instead of admitting Postal probably wouldn't hold the mainstream appeal (and money) that theater owners usually prefer from the movies they show, he vowed that his movie was being unfairly ignored because of it's "controversial" content and that it was tantamount to censorship... I'm still not sure whether he's a dumbass or a jackass.

The official Razzies website has compared An American Carol to Postal, calling it "similarly tasteless (and similarly pointless)".  In fact, many of the so-called "jokes" in An American Carol are IDENTICAL to the so-called "jokes" in Postal... even the so-called "jokes" in the trailers are the same.

An American Carol is so heavy-handed that it actually goes far beyond self-parody.  It's really hard not to keep staring at the screen in disbelief.
Torgo

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 02:23:31 PM »

I'm still not sure whether he's a dumbass or a jackass.

"Uwe resembles that remark."   TongueOut

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 02:27:34 PM »

Yeah, I guess he can be both.  TongueOut

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
Ryantherebel
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 09:43:30 PM »

"An American Carol" is one of those movies were you just knew it was going to bomb from the get go. I can't believe you managed to sit through that film Metropolisforev. What was the worst part (or parts) about it?
Metropolisforever
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 11:23:21 AM »

"An American Carol" is one of those movies were you just knew it was going to bomb from the get go. I can't believe you managed to sit through that film Metropolisforev. What was the worst part (or parts) about it?

The whole movie was astonishingly hateful and unfunny.  There are no women in major roles in the film, apart from the exceedingly small role of Michael's assistant. Otherwise, they are either sex objects for leering; screeching, menstruating witches; or butch, angry lesbians (and sometimes a mixture of those.)  As expected, the film is openly hostile to any religion that is not Christianity (and, I'm guessing, Evangelical Christianity, at that). Islam is, of course, shown as being simply the religion of terrorists and no one else. Judaism is given a backhand slap in a scene where Mike is shown the future if we had not fought the Civil War; he, ludicrously, lives in the South and owns slaves. At one point, they begin to serenade him with "Hava Negila."  Not only is this blatant anti-Semitism, but it's really ignorant, too.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but Michael Moore is Catholic, right? And, also, if there were a South that was its own country, am I expected to believe that a LIBERAL would be living there and owning slaves, in direct counter to his beliefs? Nice try, movie... but that still doesn't distract me from wondering why you hate Jews. Later, American soldiers are shown having a Christian prayer meeting just before going off to fight the good fight -- which is a pretty direct insult to all our brave fighting men and women who do not ascribe to that particular belief system.

The alleged "satire" of Michael Moore is incredibly shallow, and mostly revolves around him being "fat", ugly, smelly, ect.  Also, much of the "humor" revolves around Micheal Moore being attacked, insulted, injured, ect.

P.S.: As a personal note, if somebody who reads this knows David Zucker, please tell him that if he's going to trash on documentary films as "not being real movies" over 20 times throughout his flick, he might want to make a movie that looks like it cost more than a hundred bucks.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 01:26:27 PM by Metropolisforever » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 01:13:15 PM »

As expected, the film is openly hostile to any religion that is not Christianity (and, I'm guessing, Evangelical Christianity, at that). Islam is, of course, shown as being simply the religion of terrorists and no one else. Judaism is given a backhand slap in a scene where Mike is shown the future if we had not fought the Civil War; he, ludicrously, lives in the South and owns slaves. At one point, they begin to serenade him with "Hava Negila."  Not only is this blatant anti-Semitism, but it's really ignorant, too.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but Michael Moore is Catholic, right? And, also, if there were a South that was its own country, am I expected to believe that a LIBERAL would be living there and owning slaves, in direct counter to his beliefs? Nice try, movie... but that still doesn't distract me from wondering why you hate Jews. Later, American soldiers are shown having a Christian prayer meeting just before going off to fight the good fight -- which is a pretty direct insult to all our brave fighting men and women who do not ascribe to that particular belief system.

I'm 99% certain that Zucker is Jewish.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 05:45:36 PM »

I stand by my original review on this one.

Some jokes worked, some didn't, but it was still funnier than any of the last five Hollywood spoofs I've seen - it certainly ran rings around SUPERHERO MOVIE, EPIC MOVIE, and SCARY MOVIE II. 

Of course, that's not saying much.  The spoof genre has fallen on hard times.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 09:53:35 PM »

Wasn't Zucker one of the producers behind Airplane/Naked Gun?

If so, what happened?  He went from them to Scary Movie 3. Buggedout

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Scott123
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 10:28:05 AM »

Oh ... you mean like Michael Moore's movies?
 It's about time someone made a movie mocking that fat, useless pig.

Michael Moore could certainly be a good target for satire, but this movie isn't satire.  It's nasty, ugly, mean, and, not to mention, highly unfunny. 

« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 10:30:50 AM by Scott123 » Logged
Metropolisforever
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 10:44:05 AM »

Michael Moore could certainly be a good target for satire, but this movie isn't satire.  It's nasty, ugly, mean, and, not to mention, highly unfunny. 

Many conservatives are praising this movie, but not because it's funny.  Because they want to see Michael Moore getting hit over the head with a frying pan.

Conservative nuts will praise any movie that supports their views, no matter how awful it is.

Thank you, Scott123, for proving my point.

P.S.: I am not a liberal.  I am an independent thinker.
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 12:01:54 PM »

To paraphase the typical discussion with Moore-haters about his
movies:

"What specifically don't you like about Moore's movies?"
"Michael Moore is fat."
"Yeah, but what about his movies?"
"They're liberal. They're full of lies. And Michael Moore is fat."
"Can you point out one of these lies?"
"... [long pause] ... Michael Moore is fat. And his movies are liberal."

Nukie 2

I did it all for the...

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 04:19:58 PM »

He's a real winner, he hasn't been funny in years; decades.

Watch Nukie on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wab1Y713tN0
"Like" International Fans of the Movie Nukie and Sias Odendaal on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Fans-of-the-Movie-Nukie-and-Sias-Odendaal/135820159771783
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  David Zucker's Pathetic Reaction to Box Office Bomb « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.