Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:10:26 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Curse You, Netflix!!! « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Curse You, Netflix!!!  (Read 16645 times)
Metropolisforever
« on: October 10, 2008, 03:16:47 PM »

Netflix recently sent me a copy of Suspiria (1977), and since their website has a picture of the Anchor Bay edition (and the option of having them send you Anchor Bay's DVD extras), I was assuming they would send me the Anchor Bay edition of the film.

Instead, they sent me some awful piece of garbage from "Westlake Entertainment", a company that I had never even heard of.  When I went on the "Westlake" website, I could not even find any mention of a Suspiria DVD release by them.

As I mentioned, this DVD is wretched.  The quality of the DVD was terrible, and was probably taken off some old VHS copy of the movie.  It was incredibly shaky, you could see the video lines, and at one point the words “VIDEO CALIBRATION” were on the screen, over a scene, for 5 seconds.  All of the booming colors that enrich this film were muted and drained of their dynamic dyestuff. What’s more, the soundtrack had been muzzled. It sounded like the audio was recorded in a blustery cornfield.  Also, the DVD only had the English dub, and it was probably edited.

Why, Netflix!?  Why!?!?

I am now questioning whether I want to continue Netflix after my free trial has finished.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 07:49:26 AM by Metropolisforever » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 03:38:36 PM »

Complain to them (but be polite).  I would expect that they would give you a free rental to replace that one, or send you the correct edition without debiting your account.  Tell us how it goes, I've never had to use their customer service before.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 09:29:53 AM »

haha that sucks.  I love netflix but that is dirtay
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 10:17:41 AM »

I have used their customer service, once for a missing DVD, and once for one that wouldn't play, they apologised and replaced each DVD, took about 2 days to get the replacements in. Last month the automated shipping system broke down, started to take 5-7 days to get DVDs from them, when they got it back up and running they emailed an apology and gave me credit for 1 month. So far Netflix seems to handle problems that arise in quick and professional manner.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 01:14:58 PM »

Complain to them (but be polite).  I would expect that they would give you a free rental to replace that one, or send you the correct edition without debiting your account.  Tell us how it goes, I've never had to use their customer service before.

I agree with Rev, Netflix has always done me well, I have no doubt that a tactful inquiry will get you taken care of. I got "Alien" from them, and the first two copies were flawed. I talked to a girl and she said (and did) send me the Alien DVDs repeatedly until I got one that worked in addition to my scheduled movies (It took seven of them, poor QC at the manufacturer?), and left me getting an extra disc for the rest of the month. Another time the two movies I received got sent back the same day I got them, before I had a chance to view them. I called and they sent me replacements for those two that day, and sent my next two queued movies the day after, apparently when the two unwatched movies got to them, so on a 2-at a time plan, I had 4 movies due to nothing of their fault.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Metropolisforever
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 01:31:55 PM »

After reporting the DVD "mislabeled", they told me that they would be sending me a replacement copy.

Well, guess what?

They sent me the exact same piece of garbage.

Unbelievable!
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 06:08:46 PM »

This is what happens when a company like Netflix hires people to fill orders who have little or no knowledge of movies.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 09:14:06 PM »

Actually, the way Netflix works, the only people that touch the DVD are the ones that take it out of the sleeve, clean it, and put it back. All the routing and such is done by the barcode on the sleeve, this came straight from a netflix employee. It's not surprising that the occasional mistake or mis-labeled movie gets passed on, especially if the disc itself is mis-labeled, and not just in the wrong sleeve. People were complaining that they couldn't ship while their system was down: The system really doesn't have the capacity to work manually, all incoming movies are inventoried by barcode, and on the way out they are enveloped and addressed automatically by barcode as well.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 06:22:16 AM »

all incoming movies are inventoried by barcode

Which indicates the people applying the barcodes in the first place don't have the knowledge to differentiate between different versions of the same movie (e.g., Anchor Bay vs. Westlake).  90% of the customers probably wouldn't notice, but the knowledgable, demanding crowd in this forum would never be fooled by such trickery!

By the way, maybe we've just identified a new type of "bad movie" fan.  Is there a subculture that not only enjoys bad movies, but takes this concept one step further and prefers bad versions of bad movies?  (Such as edited versions, with poor video and audio quality?)  Now THAT would be really hardcore!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 06:56:29 AM »

I've never really had any major problems with Netflix.  I did have a problem with them the other week but it was a simple one.  A DVD that I rented was supposed to arrive on Oct 3.  Well it didn't arrive and I didn't get it on the 4th and it told me that if I don't get it by the 6th to report so I did report it as missing so then sent me a another one then the next day I got the one that I reported lost so I ended up getting having two of the same one when the replacement came the 8th.  That's the only problem I have ever had with them.   
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 09:14:11 AM »

Here's an interesting article from Howstuffworks.com about how Netflix works:

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/netflix.htm

Never used them myself.  I haven't been watching a lot of movies lately but I may try them once the really cold weather hits in a couple of months.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 09:55:31 AM »

My reviews for the subscribers
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 02:37:55 PM »

My reviews for the subscribers

That link shows that you are 85% similar to me: should I be concerned?

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 02:45:53 PM »

Only problem I ever had with Netflix was in trying to get the 1975 copy of The Sunshine Boys with Walter Matthau and George Burns. They sent me the 1995 remake (Woody Allen and Peter Falk). I used their online complaint form to describe the problem and sent it back. Shortly afterward, they sent me a replacement, and the paper sleeve was for the 1975 movie.

But the DVD was the remake again!

I gave up after that.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 02:54:41 PM »

rev-  if you are 85% similar to me yes i would be very concerned.  emphasize the other 15% as much as you can
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 02:56:16 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Curse You, Netflix!!! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.