Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:20:46 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  How To Get A Birthday Card From Queen Elizabeth « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: How To Get A Birthday Card From Queen Elizabeth  (Read 6967 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2008, 10:28:22 PM »

I admire the British, not for their monarchy - although I do think the monarchy is a valuable system of tradition and national unity - but for what they did for the world.  With the exception of the Islamic nations, whose religious traditions are largely incompatible with Western democratic tradition, wherever the British flag once flew, democracy has flourished.  The British were the first in Europe to get the hang of representative self-government, and they planted those seeds wherever they planted their flag.  For that, and for their courage and sangfroid in the face of danger, the Britons have always been heroes of mine.

I think Churchill would weep to see what is happening to his beloved island. Bluesad

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2008, 01:46:43 AM »

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24479054-2,00.html

It's easy! Just live to be 105, and never ever have sex!

TeddyR

I don't ever think I'd live that long, but it would be nice. To get a card from the Queen, I mean, not abstain from sex for 105 years.  Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2008, 06:04:07 AM »

My Great-Grandmother got one.  (Canadians can get them too: you just need to inform the proper offices).  It was on the occasion of her 100th birthday - which was actually her 104th, as near as we can figure.  (She lied about her age for a few years - yes, in her 90's, she was very vain! -  until somebody told her she would receive birthday greetings from the Queen, the Prime Minister and the Governor General when she turned 100.) 

Wow.. you'd think once you live past 80 or so you'd be happy to just be ALIVE and not care about lying about your age anymore...

(shrugs)

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2008, 07:55:18 AM »

Circus -

not to turn this rather silly thread into a total downer, but your attitude is sadly typical of the societal illness that is destroying everything that once made Europe great.  In England, France, Germany, and throughout the continent, young Europeans have been raised to s**t upon everything that made their nations great in history.  God was expelled from Europe after World War One, nationalism bit the dust after World War II, and now there is nothing left in Europe for anyone to believe in - except the resurgent, militant Islam which makes no bones about its intention to destroy everything good and noble that Western Civilization once stood for. 

The Europe that once dominated world affairs is dead.  Every single European country has a birthrate that has fallen below replacement level.  With nothing to believe in and little to live for, Europeans have become too dispirited to even reproduce.

Islam stands waiting to fill the void.

Hope you guys like Sharia law.  Its day is coming.

I don't know if I should laugh or weep at that one...

The "silly thread" approach:
Now here I sit in my cozy democratic country, rather young, rather educated, rather tolerant, and rather well-doing like most of my fellows, not knowing that I actually s**t on what made my nation great. Oh, swell, back to monarchy, motherland, clericalism, and colonialism, I guess.

The "total downer" approach:
I think I'm not even commenting that. You are insulting a couple of tens of millions in just one post...

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2008, 04:19:13 PM »

I admire the British, not for their monarchy - although I do think the monarchy is a valuable system of tradition and national unity - but for what they did for the world.  With the exception of the Islamic nations, whose religious traditions are largely incompatible with Western democratic tradition, wherever the British flag once flew, democracy has flourished.  The British were the first in Europe to get the hang of representative self-government, and they planted those seeds wherever they planted their flag.  For that, and for their courage and sangfroid in the face of danger, the Britons have always been heroes of mine.

I think Churchill would weep to see what is happening to his beloved island. Bluesad

Me too.  But the Britons I admire most are those thinkers whose ideas were too radical to be adopted in a country which treasured the tradition of monarchy: thoise thinkers in the tradition of John Milton, John Locke and John Stuart Mill.  Tradition held the British back; because America had no monarchial tradition, we were able to adopt those forward thinking liberal ideas and turn them into our conservative ideas.

And I don't think we Americans have much standing to preach to Europeans about how they should handle their particular problems.  And I'm just not convinced that Europe is irrelevant as a world power, or that the complex challenges they now face are wholly a result of abandoning traditional Western values.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  How To Get A Birthday Card From Queen Elizabeth « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.