Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:31:21 AM
713349 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Solved  |  Plastic Surgery B-Movie « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Plastic Surgery B-Movie  (Read 5197 times)
FredTheOstrich
New Visitor

« on: October 11, 2008, 12:57:50 PM »

Hi there everyone,

Can anyone help me with the title of a black and white B-movie I saw on TV here in England years ago?

I can't recall much of the actual "plot", but there was a part in which a man with a scar on his face underwent some sort of major facial plastic surgery by a doctor using only a razor blade, a bowl of hot water, and a towel! The operation was carried out on a sofa, I believe.

In one of the shots, I remember, the scar had moved to the other side of his face - and then back again!  Buggedout

No doubt this is a famous one to many of you, so I hope you can help me. Thanks.   
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 04:57:36 PM »

I suspect it might be THE SCAR (1948) A.K.A. HOLLOW TRIUMPH....a scar factors heavily into the plot of that film. Even if it turns out to not be the correct film (don't quite remember plastic surgery on a couch but my memory of it is a little shaky), this is still a terrific little film noir picture.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 07:05:30 PM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
FredTheOstrich
New Visitor

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 03:35:45 AM »

I suspect it might be THE SCAR (1948) A.K.A. HOLLOW TRIUMPH....a scar factors heavily into the plot of that film. Even if it turns out to not be the correct film (don't quite remember plastic surgery on a couch but my memory of it is a little shaky), this is still a terrific little film noir picture.
Thanks for the swift info, Jase. The movie you mention certainly does look promising and features the accidental reversal of position of the facial scar (because of a reversed negative photo-print). From what I've read about "Hollow Triumph" today, it does appear though that the fellow with the scar creates the defacement upon himself, rather than any doctor intervening. "Hollow Triumph" does look to be a very entertaining one, doesn't it? I shall keep investigating anyway. Thanks again for your help - much appreciated!
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 11:58:45 AM »

Another possibility is Ed Wood's JAIL BAIT (1954). According the IMDB, the following goof is made: "Continuity: After the operation to change Vic Brady's face, the first time the bandages come off, the scar on his forehead runs diagonal from the top of his nose to well above the eye. However when he's shot by the pool, the scar runs laterally across the middle of his forehead."

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
FredTheOstrich
New Visitor

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 02:36:22 AM »

Another possibility is Ed Wood's JAIL BAIT (1954). According the IMDB, the following goof is made: "Continuity: After the operation to change Vic Brady's face, the first time the bandages come off, the scar on his forehead runs diagonal from the top of his nose to well above the eye. However when he's shot by the pool, the scar runs laterally across the middle of his forehead."

Yessssssssssssss, that's the one, Jase! Well done! Strangely enough, I've just come from the "It Came From The Vault" forum and a fellow called Dumspter Diver came up with the same movie as you did. What a coincidence, two great minds thinking alike!   Twirling

Now, your mention of Vic Brady standing by the pool is significant, because yes, it was at that part that the scar moved between frames, haha! I remember that now, and I had had vague recollections of a swimming pool.

Here's a link to a page that gives quite a bit of info on the movie:-

http://www.mininova.org/tor/1233644

There's another part in that write-up that also jogged my memory, where the plastic surgeon's son's day-old murdered body suddenly falls in front of his father from behind a curtain - and his father hardly looks surprised at all!

Well, everyone, if you want to see an entertaining movie for its weirdness and inconsistencies, then this is the one to watch!

Thanks again Jase, matey, from the Ostrich bloke! Best wishes. Wink
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Solved  |  Plastic Surgery B-Movie « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.