Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:40:19 AM
714234 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Things that irritate you on eBay « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Things that irritate you on eBay  (Read 12522 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2008, 03:02:02 PM »

This summer I sold 2 Jet Ski's on ONE trailer on ebay ... ebay required me to sell them separately on 2 auctions. I argued with them they're on one trailer, what happens if one person buys one and one another? What are they going to do? Ride it home?

Frankly I think it's because they wanted 2 listing fees, so I listed it as buy one get one free, I had the auction taken down a 4 times, but by them I had enough interest and questions that I sold it to a buyer off line and ebay got NOTHING! Listing and final value fees would have been about $200 and the Paypal deposit fee would have been another $40.

It used to annoy the hell out of me when my wife and I were selling handmade dog collars on ebay a few years back. We'd post auctions for one collar of a certain pattern, then allow the buyer to pick the collar size and colour of the nylon webbing. Ebay kept pulling them down because we were apparently trying to sell multiple items on a single listing. Didn't matter that it was one auction, one collar, or that each collar was a custom-made item, they wanted us to specify size and colour in the auction and put up more listings.

Our biggest problem was competitors who would flag our auctions for whatever violation they could think of. Ebay would just pull them all indiscriminately. That was a big annoyance about running a business on ebay, any item you could make and sell would be copied by half a dozen people who put no more thought into what they were doing than "I can make that." And most of them would undercut on the price, because they wouldn't factor in their time, just materials and a small markup. On top of that, we got dirty tricks.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 12:45:24 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2008, 12:36:05 PM »

This summer I sold 2 Jet Ski's on ONE trailer on ebay ... ebay required me to sell them separately on 2 auctions. I argued with them they're on one trailer, what happens if one person buys one and one another? What are they going to do? Ride it home?

Frankly I think it's because they wanted 2 listing fees, so I listed it as buy one get one free, I had the auction taken down a 4 times, but by them I had enough interest and questions that I sold it to a buyer off line and ebay got NOTHING! Listing and final value fees would have been about $200 and the Paypal deposit fee would have been another $40.

This is why I wish another auction site would rise and give eBay some serious competition. If they didn't have a monopoly on the online auction scene, they'd not be able to get away with that. A true sign that eBay is too big for it's britches is the fact they can bully a customer around and not even have to apply common sense. I would have been tempted to write back to Ebay and point out exactly how stupid they've been and what it cost them, and sign it with a big 'ol F.O.

Unfortunately, I don't believe a person could do it without eBay hammering them into oblivion through the legal system.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Menard
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2008, 01:14:34 PM »

I've heard that ebay is planning to abandon the auction format and go to direct selling like Amazon.com.  Not sure when that's gonna happen, but everything that irritates you all about ebay will be disappearing soon.

I like the sound of that. Nothing but 30-day buy-it-now listings, and payments strictly by credit card or Paypal. Suits exactly what I use Ebay for.

I do have to take you to task on that for a few reasons, Andy.

First off, that's called Half.com

Amazon.com has sellers who offer used and new and I'll use them as a comparison to eBay if I'm looking for something that I could find on both sites.

As an example, I recently won a copy of comic Ranxerox 2 in hardback for $10 on eBay. The closest, at the time, that I could find on Amazon in equivalent condition was $40 or more. Now why would I want to pay 4 times as much for something I could possibly win in an auction format for much less?

I realize that for people who use Paypal and credit cards there is a certain convenience to it. I prefer to use a credit card when I can as it is just easier for me.

There are, however, people who don't have credit cards or Paypal accounts; believe it or not. There are also times when a credit card is not feasible; perhaps because the seller does not have a Paypal account (some still don't; they've either been grandfathered or have have their account suspended) or they don't want to pay Paypal's extortion fees.

My Paypal account was suspended, so I can no longer do business with the elite who only accept Paypal.

Many of the Paypal only sellers might as well write as a disclaimer "the only thing that matters is that I get paid as quickly as possible; whether you get screwed is of no concern". Many sellers aren't far from that with their requirements for payments in the shortest amount of time and everything that the buyer will do for them, without a mention of what they will do for the buyer.

There is a business principle of 'the customer comes first'; that went out the window some time ago with many (not all) eBay sellers. eBay has largely become a place for sellers who are too incompetent to run a business on their own; so they do it on eBay.

Of course, dealing with collectibles, it is difficult to maintain a loyal base of customers. On Amazon, Half.com, Barnes and Noble, etc., where there are many sellers whoring the same items, customer service becomes key. I've maintained dealings with certain sellers on Amazon, even if they were a little higher than another seller, simply because I've dealt with them before and have come to know to what to expect from them.

Collectibles take a different path as they would not be collectibles if everybody had them. You are likely not to be dealing with the same seller very often as you are looking for collectibles and not shopping sellers. I have two sellers form whom I have bought radios before, they deal largely with radio equipment, they know their stuff, and they have provided excellent service. I have not bought from them again, though I do look through their stores; they earned that by being good sellers, though that is rare for repeats in collectibles.

If eBay switched to a Half.com format (why?...they own the damn site), I would be looking for another auction site rather than buying from that group of sellers for what they think something is worth.

eBay has changed quite a bit over the years. When I first joined eBay, it was largely people selling stuff they didn't want anymore or taking up space in their basements and garages. When you bought from someone, they left you feedback when they received payment and you left them feedback when you got the item.

Over the years, eBay has become littered with the same resellers who were taking over the flea markets; changing it from a place where you bought someone else's junk to a place where someone is trying to whore the same item you could buy at a dollar store for a dollar for 4 to 8 times as much.

Feedback went from a cooperative device to something sellers held hostage requiring you to leave feedback for them first, and creating a lot of false feedback left for fear of retaliation.

Although taking away the option to leave negative feedback for buyers may have fixed that, I feel that is unfair to sellers as it takes a tool away from them; this is, after all, an auction site, not Amazon.

Just a few random thoughts, feel free to ignore me (TongueOut).
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2008, 01:48:22 PM »

There are, however, people who don't have credit cards or Paypal accounts; believe it or not. There are also times when a credit card is not feasible; perhaps because the seller does not have a Paypal account (some still don't; they've either been grandfathered or have have their account suspended) or they don't want to pay Paypal's extortion fees.
Ebay as of this month requires sellers to accept paypal.  I think they have another online option, but I have not researched it as it can't be any better from a seller's standpoint.  I have paid ebay enough to list and final value fees.  Paypal fees in addition to that?  My margin is not that great that it works for me as a seller. 
My Paypal account was suspended, so I can no longer do business with the elite who only accept Paypal.
Then you will shortly be done with ebay.  Pay by paypal or take a hike is ebay's current philosophy. 

...There is a business principle of 'the customer comes first'; that went out the window some time ago with many (not all) eBay sellers. eBay has largely become a place for sellers who are too incompetent to run a business on their own; so they do it on eBay.
I was one of the "customer comes first" sellers and have just recently been screwed by several "buyers" who just didn't pay, f'd around with my time, made claims of checks sent that never arrived... There are as many sh!thedz buying as selling on ebay. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2008, 02:17:02 PM »

With all those complaints, it seems it should be easy for someone to do it better and give them a run for their money. Sad it hasn't happened, or, if it has, I don't know bout it. Bummer.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2008, 05:46:52 PM »

Menard, I agree with everything you said. I only meant that for my own usage, it will do just fine. Then again, I don't use ebay for all that much anymore, for precisely the reasons you and others have cited.

I agree that ebay was better when it was a lot of second-hand stuff from ordinary people, and sellers didn't expect top dollar for everything. I found a lot more treasures in those days, and a lot more bargains.

I will say that I prefer Paypal from a buyer's point of view for the same reason you suggest sellers like it - a lot of sellers are incompetent, or at least not that good at running a business. I remember when I had to first make contact with the seller, then exchange information and negotiate shipping, obtain a money order, send it, wait for it to get there, wait for the seller to cash it and ship my item, then wait for it to arrive. It took twice as long at the best of times, but it also required a lot more from the seller, which slowed it down even more. These days, I like being able to take care of everything in one shot, partly for my own convenience and partly because it then leaves a lot less up to the seller. You sold the item, money's in your account, just mail the thing.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2008, 04:39:36 PM »

Oh, I've got more:
Previously, when you found an item you cared to "watch" you'd hit the "watch" button and if you weren't signed in, ebay prompted you to.  Now, ebay throws the item you want to "watch" into "Ebay for guests..."  (Please hear sarcastic snied tone that'd be in my voice if I were speaking...)   Hatred

Ebay has always sent email notices and links about items they're pushing, often based upon previous purchases, and now, if you click the link, you go to the list, find an item you'd like to watch (see problem above) so I "sign in" first... and hit the back button WRONG!!! to get back to the list or item... Ebay then signs you out...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Hatred 

The format change has now squashed listings to the center of the page, there are so-oh many more "helpful" links on the left side of the page  Lookingup and fully a third (that's one third) of the page left and right of center is devoted to these overbusy links and BLANK SPACE (yeh, I know, the future home for lots of ADVERTISING.)   Hatred 
I'm hating ebay more and more everyday. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2008, 05:33:39 AM »

TeddyR Good point. Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Things that irritate you on eBay « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.