Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:34:29 PM
714349 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Top 100 casting mistakes « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Top 100 casting mistakes  (Read 13398 times)
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« on: October 15, 2008, 12:30:21 PM »

OK, my first shot at a "Top 100" list. The idea here is a movie which could have been good but was ruined for you by a terrible casting decision. Doesn't matter if you know whether there was a better choice considered (but feel free to offer your alternate casting choice).

Two off the top of my head.

1. Chevy Chase in Memoirs of an Invisible Man (1992). Modern take on the invisible man story, an ordinary guy becomes invisible by accident and has to deal with the consequences. One of those everyman-stuck-in-a-thriller deals. Fantastic book by H.F. Saint.

But to cast Chevy freakin Chase as the lead?

2. Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady (1964). An oldie, one of my favorite musicals. I grew up listening to the London cast album, with Julie Andrews debuting in the title role. Man could she sing, and the fire she brought to the role must have been a great thing to see on stage. So why the hell did Hollywood cast little mousy non-singing Audrey Hepburn in there? And why the hell does anyone like Audrey Hepburn anyway?

Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 01:44:20 PM »

3. For some reason I never cared for James Cagney in A Midsummer Night's Dream, which I probably saw as a wee lil nip of a youngster when it played on one of the local PBS stations.  That's right his performance scarred me from an early age.   Wink

4. Speaking of pysche scarring experiences don't even get me started on the casting misfires of the 1999 version of A Midsummer Night's Dream.  They really should gather all the copies of that atrocity in one place, then nuke it from orbit!  I'm not kidding.   Hatred

5. Since I know someone will inevitably mention Coppola's Dracula* let me just say that, for me, Winnoa Ryder ruined this movie.  With each new watching of this movie I despise her presence in it more and more.  Keanu Reeves, for me, wasn't so bad.  Then again I was lucky NOT to have seen any of his previous works aside from that Bill and Ted movie for many years.  My advice: Don't watch too many of his movies and you'll be fine.

* OOPS.  I was looking up a Carpenter movie at IMDB in another window as I was typing that and got the director's names confuddled.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 02:11:04 PM by Kester Pelagius » Logged

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 01:51:17 PM »

6)  Adrienne King as the Final Girl (Alice Hardy) in Friday the 13th.  She was the most lackluster and uninspiring character in the whole movie.  You always want to hire an actual "actress" for your lead character.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Cthulhu
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 01:51:27 PM »

5. Since I know someone will inevitably mention John Carpenter's Dracula let me just say that, for me, Winnoa Ryder ruined this movie.  With each new watching of this movie I despise her presence in it more and more.  Keanu Reeves, for me, wasn't so bad.  Then again I was lucky NOT to have seen any of his previous works aside from that Bill and Ted movie for many years.  My advice: Don't watch too many of his movies and you'll be fine.
Do you mean Bram Stoker's Dracula?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 01:55:59 PM by Cthulhu » Logged
peter johnson

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 02:08:02 PM »

Bram Stoker's Dracula by Francis Ford Coppola --

I happen to like Audrey Hepburn just fine, thank you -- Aside from her lovely, long neck, she was really excellent opposite Alan Arkin in "Wait Until Dark" and Shirley McClaine in "The Childrens' Hour" -- 2 films I think most people who frequent this site would really enjoy, if you haven't already seen them -- Other stuff like "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and her other light romantic fare maybe not so much -- But she's still easy on the eye in those, as I've heard men say --

peter johnson/denny a room somewhere . . .

I have no idea what this means.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 03:38:35 PM »

5. Since I know someone will inevitably mention Coppola's Dracula* let me just say that, for me, Winnoa Ryder ruined this movie.  With each new watching of this movie I despise her presence in it more and more.  Keanu Reeves, for me, wasn't so bad.  Then again I was lucky NOT to have seen any of his previous works aside from that Bill and Ted movie for many years.  My advice: Don't watch too many of his movies and you'll be fine.

I agree with you halfway on this one.  I hated both Reeves AND Ryder.  But it is funny that Reeves gets most of the blame, when Ryder was equally bad, and had a much more important role. 

7) (I think).  John Wayne as Genghis Khan in THE CONQEUROR

Small | Large

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 04:04:17 PM »

8) Margot Kidder as Lois Lane in Superman.   Not even close.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
akiratubo

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 05:04:02 PM »

9) Jim Cavizel as Jesus in Passion of the Christ.

Could they have possibly picked a blander, less inspiring actor to play Christ?  Christ ought to have presence and charisma.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 05:34:17 PM »

10. Lon Chaney Jr. as Count Alacard in SON of DRACULA. He's a little too jowly to be a vampire. (I ...er...I mean Bela should have gtten that part,dammit!)

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 05:40:27 PM »

11.  Jackie Gleason and Mac Davis in STING II

12.  George Hamilton in GODFATHER 3

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 06:17:24 PM »

13. Christopher Llloyd in Star Trek III: Search for Spock as a,, KLINGON COMMANDER? what were they thinking?

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 08:08:47 PM »

14.) Michael Madsen as Vladimir in Bloodrayne
Uwe Boll movies are usually miscast with big names.  Boll decides to have an actor who typically plays wise guy roles to hold down a role as a vampire hunter.  As an honerable mention in that movie, I'd have to say Michelle Rodriguez.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 10:31:24 PM »

15) Jose Ferrer as mayor of a small farming community in Idaho.
http://www.badmovies.org/movies/thebeing/

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 11:08:56 PM »

16. & 17.)
Jack Black and Adrien Brody in Peter Jackson's "King Kong"

I like them both as actors but they were terribly miscast in that movie. 
(loved Naomi Watts, though  Thumbup)

« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 11:11:22 PM by Ash » Logged
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 06:54:03 AM »

18)  Denise Richards as a nuclear physicist in The World is Not Enough

Hey, she's damned fine to look at, but a nuclear physicist?  Um...no.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Top 100 casting mistakes « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.