Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:15:57 AM
714231 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The cat in Alien « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The cat in Alien  (Read 5894 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: October 16, 2008, 12:41:03 AM »

I finally bought Alien and Aliens on DVD today and watched them both.  I think Alien kind of sucks, frankly, and I still do after watching it.  One of my biggest gripes with Alien was the cat.  I always just dismissed him as a plot device, with no real reason to be on the ship (or in the movie) at all.  However, today, I had one serious head-thwacker of a realization about him.

He's on the ship because Ripley brought him.

I can't believe I never realized it before.  She brought him because she's going to be on a ship with a bunch of blue-collar guys, and she wanted another living creature aboard she could be feminine around, and not have to be "one of the guys" all the time.  (Lambert doesn't count because she and Ripley obviously don't get along.)

I think Alien sucks somewhat less now that I've had that (rather obvious) epiphany.

I got the "special edition" DVD.  I can't tell what's special about it, other than a more explicit chest-burster scene.  It's considerably gorier than my old VHS copy.  Other than that, nothing's different except much-higher video quality, of course.  The DVD even preserves a few moments of dialogue dropping to inaudible levels that I always assumed were a defect of my VHS tape.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 09:02:45 AM »

I got the "special edition" DVD.  I can't tell what's special about it, other than a more explicit chest-burster scene.  It's considerably gorier than my old VHS copy.  Other than that, nothing's different except much-higher video quality, of course.  The DVD even preserves a few moments of dialogue dropping to inaudible levels that I always assumed were a defect of my VHS tape.

There's also a scene near the very end where Ripley stumbles upon Dallas and Brett cocooned and Dallas says, "Kill me" and she torches him. 
That scene was in the book but was edited out of the theatrical release.

Personally, I think Alien is a great film.  It scared the hell out of me when I was a kid and there are still scenes in it that are just as effective today as they were in 1979.
akiratubo

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 11:00:36 AM »

There's also a scene near the very end where Ripley stumbles upon Dallas and Brett cocooned and Dallas says, "Kill me" and she torches him. 
That scene was in the book but was edited out of the theatrical release.

That's in the deleted scenes special feature, oddly not inserted into the movie itself.

ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 03:33:32 PM »

Alien was the very first movie I ever saw on a VCR. It was our first, and was top-loading, with a wired remote, and IIRC, cost upwards of $1200.00. It was during dinner that we watched the chest-exploding scene, then backwards, slow, slow backwards, frame-by-frame, half-slow forward, double slow backwards halfway through then back to the beginning. It was quite novel.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 03:47:58 PM »

Alien was the very first movie I ever saw on a VCR. It was our first, and was top-loading, with a wired remote, and IIRC, cost upwards of $1200.00. It was during dinner that we watched the chest-exploding scene, then backwards, slow, slow backwards, frame-by-frame, half-slow forward, double slow backwards halfway through then back to the beginning. It was quite novel.

I've got one of these:

I have no idea what year it was made? I was thinking of trying to sell it on Ebay, it's mega heavy tho'.

On the subject of Alien, I got the cat thing straight away and it's a great, great movie. It's my favourite "space-alien" movie as alot of others follow a formula that was overused to death. Those were imaginative, scary creatures. I also prefer the first one to Aliens.  Smile
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 04:46:36 PM by Circus_Circus » Logged

akiratubo

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 04:41:24 PM »

I also prefer the first one to Aliens.  Smile

Dear god, how can you?  Alien is just ... so ... boring.  I could have put it in the "movies you've snoozed through" thread.  There's the chest burster (after damn near an hour of nothing happening!), Dallas in the vents, and Ripley finding the alien on the shuttlecraft.  That's it.  The rest of the movie is just people mumbling at one another.

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 04:51:01 PM »

Dear god, how can you?  Alien is just ... so ... boring.  I could have put it in the "movies you've snoozed through" thread.  There's the chest burster (after damn near an hour of nothing happening!), Dallas in the vents, and Ripley finding the alien on the shuttlecraft.  That's it.  The rest of the movie is just people mumbling at one another.

It's classic, there were no other films quite like it at the time; facehuggers, an exploding stomach, milky androids, flamethrowers, a female hero and aliens designed in that way. It creates a claustrophobic atmosphere and builds up to those memorable moments. Plus, the marines really bugged me in the second film.  TeddyR

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 05:32:52 PM »

I'm with Circus.  ALIEN was a horror movie, ALIENS was an action movie, and I prefer horror. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 10:33:12 PM »

I like them both, they're just too different for me to pick one over the other. I have to admit that I first saw Aliens it was in a theater, and I was on LSD. The "They're coming out of the walls" part was pretty intense. For some reason, the title "ALIENS" made me think "Oh, there's TWO aliens". I was wrong. .

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Hammock Rider

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 12:39:35 PM »

Steve Martin gives a pretty funny review of Alien in his book Cruel Shoes. I can't find a pastable version, so you'll have to check it out for yourself.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
akiratubo

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 01:42:52 PM »

Plus, the marines really bugged me in the second film.

True that.  They all die except for Hicks, though, so it's all good.

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 01:51:40 PM »

Oh, poo on you guys - those movies are both awesome  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The cat in Alien « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.