Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:46:47 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  First official pics from JJ Abrams Star Trek « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: First official pics from JJ Abrams Star Trek  (Read 6452 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: October 20, 2008, 02:08:09 PM »

I'm anxiously awaiting May 9, 2009

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20233788,00.html

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 08:36:09 PM »

I'm not sure what to think.

They all look so "O.C."  Especially the guy playing Kirk.
But I have faith that it'll all work out in the end.
I especially like the casting of Karl Urban as McCoy.  He's a dead ringer for a young Deforest Kelley.   Thumbup
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 09:36:35 PM »

I am SO on board for this one . . . .  BounceGiggle

(I just hope it doesn't stink!!) Bluesad

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 04:52:21 PM »

Thanks for the photos, Cap.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 03:24:48 PM »

Is airbrushing really necessary for Star Trek?

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 06:33:43 PM »

Zachary Quinto really looks like Spock. Hope he plays it well.

John Cho will probably be a good Sulu, but when I look at him, I think "Harold and Kumar go to a Trek Convention."

I'm kind of disappointed there's no good picture of Simon Pegg as Scotty. An actor I really like playing my favourite TOS character.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 06:47:08 AM »

Is it a comedy or something?

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 06:54:53 AM »

Is it a comedy or something?

It looks like they're filming "One Tree Hill" at IKEA  TeddyR

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 07:15:30 AM »

I'm guessing that's not an actual still from the movie. Probably a publicity shot where they were asked to do an exaggerated Kirk and Bones. I could see Abrams throwing out something like that to stir up the Trekkies. At least, I hope that's what it is.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
BTM

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 01:18:32 PM »

I'm anxiously awaiting May 9, 2009

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20233788,00.html

You know what's kind of funny about this whole thing?  I don't know how many of you knows this, but they actually tried to do this movie about two decades ago, shortly (I believe) before Star Trek Five.  They had an idea of doing a prequel to the series with a young Kirk and company with the basic premise of "We meet the young team, get to know them a bit, disaster strikes and it's up to the young and tested crew to save the day." 

This idea seemed to have everything going for it, as they figured even if the film was laughed out of the theaters, they could just go back to making movies with the original cast, but then Gene Roddenberry railed against the film, comparing it to the Police Academy movies, and, even though he was reduced to just a "consultant" on the movies at this time, he still had enough weight to get the idea scrapped.

Guess since he's dead that's no longer an issue, but just find the whole story rather interesting.

Anyway, hope it turns out okay!  Never had a chance to watch Enterprise, but I think after Voyager, Star Trek definitely needed some down time to reboot itself.

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 01:28:52 PM »

You know what's kind of funny about this whole thing?  I don't know how many of you knows this, but they actually tried to do this movie about two decades ago, shortly (I believe) before Star Trek Five.  They had an idea of doing a prequel to the series with a young Kirk and company with the basic premise of "We meet the young team, get to know them a bit, disaster strikes and it's up to the young and tested crew to save the day." 

They're too young though! A 20 year old Captain Kirk with impossibly white teeth, wearing a sweater from GAP = 1,000000's of dissapointed Star Trek fans and I'm not even a Star Trek fan myself. I fear for this  Bluesad

trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 10:09:48 AM »

This idea seemed to have everything going for it, as they figured even if the film was laughed out of the theaters, they could just go back to making movies with the original cast, but then Gene Roddenberry railed against the film, comparing it to the Police Academy movies, and, even though he was reduced to just a "consultant" on the movies at this time, he still had enough weight to get the idea scrapped.

Guess since he's dead that's no longer an issue, but just find the whole story rather interesting.

Anyway, hope it turns out okay!  Never had a chance to watch Enterprise, but I think after Voyager, Star Trek definitely needed some down time to reboot itself.

Actually Roddenberry had nothing to do with any of the movies after TMP except getting a fat check as a consultant.

I've seen a synopsis of the script for the Academy movie (which would've been Star Trek VI) and it wasn't that bad. The real reason it got canned was that 1991 was the 25th Anniversary of Star Trek and they wanted a movie that would hand the reigns over to TNG and be a good send off for the old crew.

Harve Bennett, who produced Treks 2-5, said they weren't giving him time enough to make a proper movie for their send off and bowed out. Paramount then gave the producer duties to Leonard Nimoy, who then brought Nicholas Meyer back because he knew the guy could work quickly and they could bring the film in on time.

The people who protested the Academy movie most were the TOS actors.

The new movie directed by JJ Abrams is a sort of reboot (similar to the Bond reboot with Daniel Craig), and takes place prior to the events in TOS.  It evidently jumps around a bit in time also, because even Chrisptopher Pike (played by Bruce Greenwood) figures into the action.

Spoiler below!! Avert your eyes if don't want to know anything about the movie.

The ship in those pictures (USS Kelvin) is destroyed before James T. Kirk's birth and his father , George Kirk, is the first officer.

Rumor is that the movie takes place in multiple timelines.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  First official pics from JJ Abrams Star Trek « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.