Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:13:55 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What was the name of. . . « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What was the name of. . .  (Read 3977 times)
ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« on: October 20, 2008, 09:26:52 PM »

The presence of the 'Natalee Holloway' wikipedia entry as today's featured article got me to thinking. A few years back, there were some kids, college age or so, that went to some small country (I believe) for one reason or another. Anyways, one of the girls gets caught with some weed in her backpack, which is a death penalty offense wherever it was that they were. There was some talk in the news, and it looked like she may get life in prison out of it at best. Of course she claimed it wasn't hers, blah blah blah, and people were urging the white house to politically pressure them into letting her go. Does anyone remember this story, who she was, what country it was, or anything? I wanted to read up on it, but couldn't even remember enough to start looking. Any help will be appreciated.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 09:30:52 PM »

She was from Australia, and I believe it was either Singapore or Indonesia where she was captured . . . but for the life of me I cannot recall her name.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 09:36:57 PM »

I knew it was you that was going to answer first Indy.

I don't believe it was Singapore, and I swore she was American. I was looking for a list of countries with the death penalty for drug possession, not finding many. Thanks.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 10:48:18 PM »

I am almost sure she was Australian.  Check Indonesia.  There was a big stink about it in the Aussie media.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 10:58:46 PM »

You know, the more I think about it the more I believe you're right about her NOT being American. I'm kinda remembering discussions I had about it when it was happening.

But to the end point I was working towards: What ever happened? Did they boot her out of the country or what? I'm not having any luck searching for it.

dean

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 01:58:14 AM »

If it's our case you're thinking of then you are talking about Schappelle Corby.

Busted taking weed into Bali, Indonesia.

BTW it wasn't a small amount, about 4 kilos [ Thumbup] and it was badly hidden in her body-board bag.  Don't remember the White House being involved though, which seems silly because she's an Australian citizen.

This was a huge case in Australia moreso because she claimed it wasn't hers.  She got a hefty prison sentence which is about 20 odd years or so, and is serving it in a prison in Bali.

News reports early on were all about how innocent she was and was the victim of corrupt baggage handlers etc, but I for one believe she did it.  Her family aren't exactly the most trustworthy crowd, and her lawyers seemed pretty dodgy, and there was absolutely NO evidence to support any of her claims.  At least from what I remember.

It's a funny case, and there's been a lot of news coverage on it, even now much later, with news clips of "Corby out of prison on day trip" etc.

It also started a small craze of wrapping your luggage in plastic before hand to protect it from tampering.  What a shonk that is...  I see people doing that one more and more now, like it makes a difference...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schapelle_Corby

What sucks for her is that she wasn't able to serve her sentence in Australia which is probably the worst part of the case.  Indonesia has pretty strict laws about this thing and I certainly don't think she deserves such a huge sentence.  Still I don't see her being innocent either.  Either way the poor girl certainly got screwed...

Shortly after this case a group of about 7 or 9 people were arrested for trying to smuggle in cocaine/heroin strapped to their bodies.  Can't remember exactly what happened, but the death sentence was bandied about for a while, but I think most of them got life, unlike Corby's case where it was highly unlikely she'd get the death sentence.

Also around the same time a Australian man was executed for smuggling drugs in either Vietnam or Singapore [or one of those countries] and drawing comparisons to the Corby case made some people [me included] wonder why more wasn't done for him, whereas Corby got all this attention, and was more likely to get prison time.  Some think it was due to the fact he was Asian and she was a 'pretty' white girl.

It's sad to say that I think they could be right as well.

Either way it's an interesting case with alot of attention, moreso since it seems a stupid crime to get 20 years for.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 12:57:11 PM »

Not the story you're thinking of, but there was a case in Texas where a man got a life sentence for smoking pot while on probation: Tyrone Brown.  The same judge gave a convicted murderer with an identical sentence, but powerful political connections, no punishment when he was caught twice with cocaine.

Thankfully, the governor pardoned Tyrone, and the judge who sentenced him lost his re-election bid.

Here's the link to the 20/20 expose for anyone interested in blatant miscarriages of justice:

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=2632423

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 01:53:42 PM »

I don't have a problem with countries having strict punishments, as long as when sentences increase, so does scrutiny of convicting evidence, and as long as it's applied uniformly: No giving some people light sentences and others heavy sentences, as it can be a political weapon. That said, if a person knowingly goes to a country with a death penalty for drugs, with 9lbs of weed, , then they asked for it. Not saying that is what happened, and their determination that it wasn't someone at the airport that planted it is based of what appears to be fairly incomplete information. Also, her defense team SUCKED, and their strategy was, well, what's the word for the OPPOSITE of thourough?

Also Dean, it seems she didn't WANT to go to an Australlian prison, or at least that's what the Wikipedia entry said.

raj

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 02:53:49 PM »

I remember watching a 20/20 (IIRC) story about a couple of young American girls who were caught trying to smuggle heroin out of Thailand.  There's no question they were guilty, but apparently this was their first time doing it and the dealer was back in the US.  They wound up with 25 year terms which the report said could effectively be a death sentence, given the jail conditions.

FWIW, I am in favor of legalization (for adults) but there's no way in hell I'd try to smuggle anything like that into or out of any country.  There's just too much of a downside to getting caught.
dean

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 05:18:45 PM »

I don't have a problem with countries having strict punishments, as long as when sentences increase, so does scrutiny of convicting evidence, and as long as it's applied uniformly: No giving some people light sentences and others heavy sentences, as it can be a political weapon. That said, if a person knowingly goes to a country with a death penalty for drugs, with 9lbs of weed, , then they asked for it. Not saying that is what happened, and their determination that it wasn't someone at the airport that planted it is based of what appears to be fairly incomplete information. Also, her defense team SUCKED, and their strategy was, well, what's the word for the OPPOSITE of thourough?

Also Dean, it seems she didn't WANT to go to an Australlian prison, or at least that's what the Wikipedia entry said.

Yeah I don't quite get that one.  I think it initially had something to do with her appeals: she can't appeal her case from a foreign country [I might be wrong there].  That or in order to transfer she had to admit guilt or something like that.  Hmmm... who knows...

Her lawyers are just dogs: admitting afterwards that they made up the whole 'baggage handler planting it' story.  That probably did more harm for her reputation here than anyone else.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 06:06:07 PM »

That probably did more harm for her reputation here than anyone else.

The key word is HER. It's a bummer that lawyers can do crap like that and someone else suffers, and they still get a big pile of money n the end.

dean

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 06:15:24 AM »

That probably did more harm for her reputation here than anyone else.

The key word is HER. It's a bummer that lawyers can do crap like that and someone else suffers, and they still get a big pile of money n the end.

Yeah, that revelation came via a current affairs show here who probably paid well for that interview.  Since they were no longer involved in the case they figured it didn't matter anymore.

Slimy buggers.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What was the name of. . . « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.