Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:41:22 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  "There's Probably No God..." « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: "There's Probably No God..."  (Read 16366 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« on: October 26, 2008, 12:50:19 PM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/7681914.stm

Ads on London city buses: "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 05:26:49 PM »

Oh, those British . . .

at least they put the word "probably" in there.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Menard
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 05:47:49 PM »

at least they put the word "probably" in there.

I would have left it out; seems kind of non-committal for atheists.
JJ80
Nutter Magnet
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 05:50:26 PM »

They're actually humanists which means that they'll just say that they're right regardless of any given outcome.

There are few things more beautiful than a sporting montage with a soft-rock soundtrack
Menard
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 06:28:52 PM »

They're actually humanists which means that they'll just say that they're right regardless of any given outcome.

Huh? Question
JJ80
Nutter Magnet

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 06:41:36 PM »

Sorry I typed that statement far too quickly. What I meant was that the use of the word 'probably' seemed to me to imply that they were hedging their bets on the existence of God, not declaring fully their position. I suppose that they mean to sound tolerant and broad minded rather than dogmatic.
 I was merely saying that I found Humanists (read the article) to be overly fond of sitting on the fence on moral and social matters, seeming to have a strong system of beliefs whilst really being more concerned with always being correct.

There are few things more beautiful than a sporting montage with a soft-rock soundtrack
Menard
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 06:56:57 PM »

Also called moderates; waiting to see who is ahead before deciding who's bandwagon to jump on. Though I think the application of moderate to humanists, though not by any means far-fetched, is a bit overly critical. I freely admit to being wrong, though; even though I'm always right. TeddyR
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 08:54:19 PM »

I always find it funny that people argue about the existence of God, the only people your arguments work with are people who share your opinion on the subject to begin with. God is a matter of faith, if you have faith you believe and don't need proof, If on the other hand you're a nonbeliever all the proof offered by religious types is no proof at all. The best way to handle this type of situation is to agree that you disagree, not take what's said as a personal attack, and keep the discussion civil. The one thing I'm sure of is that whoever is right, there are a lot of people who get a big surprise when they die.
I feel I should add that I'm a believer in the Lord, and if you're not, or choose to believe in a different way than I do that's entirely up to you and none of my concern.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 09:01:18 PM »

I've never made my faith a secret on this board, but on the other hand, I try not to beat anyone over the head with it.  My bottom line is that, while Christians are commanded to share their faith when they can, they are NEVER commanded to force faith on anyone.  I will answer any question or engage anyone in discussion/debate on the topic of religion and Christianity, but I will not attempt to force my beliefs on any of you. 

(Unless you fall into that odd school of logic that insists ANY mention of faith whatsoever means that someone is forcing you to believe as they do.  I've never understood that mindset!!)

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 07:41:03 AM »

I'm an atheist.  The way I look at it, you're either a good person or you're not.  If there's a system in place whereby wicked people can say prayers and go to heaven while generally good people who didn't say prayers go to hell, well, I guess I'm going to hell.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 08:20:56 AM »

To quote the coachman from the film Purgatory, "The Boss may be tough, but He ain't blind."

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 08:41:26 AM »

I haven't prayed  or been to church at all since Dad passed on ~ I think I should go back soon. I've just been too angry and upset, I suppose.  Bluesad
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 08:48:30 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 03:50:01 PM »

"Now now, dear man, this is not the time to be making enemies." - Voltaire, on his deathbed, after being asked by a priest to renounce Satan.

I'm not liking the odds on the 'probably'.   Wink 

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
raj

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 06:38:38 PM »

I'm an i-don't-care-ist.  To me it is something that is unknowable and there are many other things that command my attention like pretty chicks.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 07:52:55 PM »

And that, my friends, is what freedom of conscience is all about. Cheers

Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  "There's Probably No God..." « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.