Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:01:11 PM
714160 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Is Battlefield Earth a must see? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Is Battlefield Earth a must see?  (Read 20213 times)
Nukie 2
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I did it all for the...

« on: October 27, 2008, 09:41:12 PM »

I still haven't seen it-- the reason is that it looks painful to watch. Though I'm kind of compelled to see it, as a "to do".
I'm not going to pay more than  $1.00, I kinda feel like John Travolta should pay me to watch it.

What do you say:
Big budget Plan 9 or the most painful thing ever?

Watch Nukie on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wab1Y713tN0
"Like" International Fans of the Movie Nukie and Sias Odendaal on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Fans-of-the-Movie-Nukie-and-Sias-Odendaal/135820159771783
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 09:51:51 PM »

The fields of thought I've come across have been that people either hate it, laugh at it for being utter garbage, or feel it's just another mediocre sci-fi flick. I tend to fall into the first myself. I'd laugh at it, but it just irritates the crap outta me to the point that I stop laughing and spend the rest of the movie with my head in my hands... Lookingup

As to whether it's a "must see" or not, if you're looking for a good sci-fi flick I'd say absolutely not. If you're looking for something MST3K worthy, you could say it is indeed a must.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 10:03:37 PM by AnubisVonMojo » Logged

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 09:54:46 PM »

Worth seeing once. . .

Not for the plot but for the unintentional humor.

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
sideorderofninjas
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 10:40:06 PM »

We've all seen good and bad movies. For me, Battlefield Earth is bad but
 nowhere near the bottom of the heap of bad movies.  It is pretty amazing for its unintentional humor. 

SideOrderOfNinjas
http://www.sideorderofninjas.com

"Wielding useless trivia like a katana."
AVERY GUERRA
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 11:03:59 PM »

That all really depends on if you like "bad cinema"?? Oh, it's pretty painful. However, it's not the worse film ever like many have said, but it's pretty damned close.    BounceGiggle    It is however, one of the only films that truely deserves to be compared to an Ed Wood film. Everyone's always comparing ' intentionally ' cheesy and bad films to Ed's flicks, but Ed's weren't meant to be intentionally bad. They just ended up that way and that's what makes them so bad[great]. Their humor and ' badness ' was unintentional. This film falls into that category nicely as they weren't meaning to make a horrible film and thought that they were really making a grand sci-fi epic.   Wink
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 11:08:52 PM by AVERY GUERRA » Logged
dean

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 06:09:54 AM »

I'd say it's worth a look: kind of like a semi rite of passage [like most films on this site really]

Good with Scotch!

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 07:00:31 AM »

It's worth a watch.  I don't think it's painful at all.  If you've ever seen a Sci-Fi Channel original movie, this thing won't insult your intelligence any more than they do.  This just had 50 times as much money behind it. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Rumblestealskins
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 12:57:22 PM »

I did not appreciate it that much. Good background effects. The idea seemed like a version of Planet of the Apes to me.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 01:35:26 PM »

I didn't think it was a particularly good movie but I also don't think it warranted the excoriation it received.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
JJ80
Nutter Magnet

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 03:37:04 PM »

i just thought that it was a dull but moderately watchable ego project for Mr Ravolta. Without the inherent Scietological agenda it would probably never even been made.

There are few things more beautiful than a sporting montage with a soft-rock soundtrack
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 06:54:41 AM »

A truly great comedy!  Drink

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 07:19:30 AM »

A must see? Well, it certainly must be seen to be believed.

More tilted cameras than a season of Batman.

More ham than a butcher shop.

More holes than a block of swiss cheese.

More groan-inducing than severe constipation.

More worthy of the title "A Goofy Movie" than that Disney cartoon.

Last time I saw this movie was at B-Fest in 2002. It was a surprise to see such a recent movie on the lineup, but it was a good choice. Watching it with that crowd was a hoot.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Gigantor
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 11:10:59 PM »

Stinky film ,I think they're much better er worse movies to spend your time on.

Has anyone here seen THINGS ?
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 11:39:28 AM »

Battlefield Earth 'could' have been a good movie. The book was IMO damn good. The problem is they only covered the first half of the book at MOST, and that was way too much for one movie, so TONS of relevant story was cut out. Really, the book would have to be made into 3 or 4 movies to cover the entire book, maybe more. Tons of the holes mentioned were simply where parts of the story got chopped out.
The book tends to show how and why Psychlos are the way they are. How their cruelity was systematic and refined for centuries. There were reasons for their cruelity, and they did horrible things to their own just for the sake or security and profits for their race. The movie just kinda told you they were mean. Obviously, the books have tons of scientology overtones, anti-human, anti-government, anti-corporation, anti-everything messages, but beneath that is a pretty good story, same with Mission Earth IMO. It's obvious to me LRH meant for people to draw paralell lines between the Psychlos and your government entity of choice, just the same has Mission Earth was meant to show the worst of human beings, and downplay any good. I do wonder if he saw himself as Jetero Heller.

[Edit]

Oh Yea, must see? no, , it's not. .

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Captain Tars Tarkas
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 05:18:18 PM »

The worst part of Battlefield Earth is the DVD version has many of the unintentional hilarious scenes cut out, including the scene where they try to see if man can fly by dropping a guy off a cliff.  The film itself is nothing special as far as badness goes, it is just hyped up by the hate for scientology.  The defining Battlefield Earth review is at Jabootu.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Is Battlefield Earth a must see? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.