Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:18:59 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Is Battlefield Earth a must see? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Is Battlefield Earth a must see?  (Read 20076 times)
Nukie 2
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I did it all for the...

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 05:00:09 PM »

Watched it last night. I actually enjoyed watching it; it didn't drag.
The plot holes were amazing! BounceGiggle
Travolta was such a Ham, and the Psyclos were just dumb!
Anyone notice how the degenerated humanity dressed, and acted like people at a Renaissance fair?

Best line:
"Well since you able to smelt it into BRICK I will be expecting the rest of my gold in five days!"

Watch Nukie on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wab1Y713tN0
"Like" International Fans of the Movie Nukie and Sias Odendaal on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Fans-of-the-Movie-Nukie-and-Sias-Odendaal/135820159771783
the Rev. J. Darkside
Bad Movie Lover

"Life's a b***h, and she's back in heat."

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2008, 08:53:09 PM »

I watched it once in 2004 and, unlike Ed Wood films (horrible as they are), I have not felt like watching it again. The wobbly camera work made me envy the blind and it was laced with a thinly veiled religious message. It was a truly painful experience. It probably would have been more enjoyable had they not attempted a plot and character development and just made it Hubbard's --cult propaganda epic-- (those can be quite enjoyable as you laugh and ingnore their silly pleads for your salvation [or fall for their crap]). To be fair, I've heard the BOOK is really good. I just haven't found the time to read that footstool made of paper.

Bruce Campbell is a lover and a fighter. If you want to find him, follow the trail of dead men and pregnant women.
KryptoTSD
New Visitor

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2008, 10:02:19 PM »

I've had this book for a long time, and haven't had the urge to read it again, or even see the movie...
The book is always supposed to be better than the movie, but in this case, I'd say they're both lousy...
And only because of the links to Scientology...  Thumbdown Buggedout Hatred
the Rev. J. Darkside
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2008, 11:05:00 PM »

If you start openly attacking their cult on this site, Hubbard's b***hes might bring the fury of Xenu on our patron, Andrew. We don't want that, do we?

Bruce Campbell is a lover and a fighter. If you want to find him, follow the trail of dead men and pregnant women.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2008, 01:08:59 AM »

Eh, , maybe a little, , just for comic relief. .

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
the Rev. J. Darkside
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2008, 01:47:46 AM »

Well, my cult is at war with the Co$ cult. They have actually managed to make a film so horrible that not even I want to watch it, and I've viewed some of the lowest examples of cinematic excrement with feelings that were less than contempt and close to admiration and envy. People have consistantly disagreed with my choices on everything pop culture, so I'm used to being the sole fan of a film made by Dutch Satanists with a cheese fetish starring dead penguins or a New Jersey punk band described as "...instrument day at special ed class..." with a dirigidoo, a banjo and an inbred, twelve year old frontman with autism. I apparently love s**t. But this movie sucks so much ass, there is almost no ass left to be sucked. The "land of the golden arches" allusion and dropping a man to see if he could fly were the only redeeming qualities this film can claim, so I submit they rerelease it with all but the afore mentioned scenes omitted and then credits. Until that happens, this film will always be an abomination to celluloid and a slap in the face to the American public.

Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2008, 02:46:08 AM »

I've never understood the hate that BE received...and still receives.
When I first watched it, I had heard it was bad but found that it's nowhere near as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
I've watched it twice since then and it never bothered me.  I did notice the tilted camera more, but it was easily overlooked.

I thought Travolta was perfect as Terl.  No other actor could've played him as far as I'm concerned.  Smile

Give it a shot.   Thumbup
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 02:48:42 AM by Ash » Logged
the Rev. J. Darkside
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2008, 03:50:24 AM »

I did give it a shot. It ruined my childhood. A chainsaw enema would have been more fun. Only Ewe Boll could make a more unwatchable dung heap and I was surprised to find he was uninvolved with this project. The damn camera almost gave me motion sickness. Travolta did all right, but there is no redemption for this theatrical abortion. Could I warm up to it? Yes, I could. It's incredibly unlikely without a lobotomy, however. Are there worst films? Yes, there are. You could probably count them all on the fingers of one hand after holding a lit firecracker in your fist.

Nukie 2

I did it all for the...

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2008, 03:02:36 PM »

But this obvious vechicle for religious conversion, with epic intentions was such a flop that it's hillarious in its own right!

Come on; Travolta as an alien with a dreaded beehive hair-doo and on stilts! BounceGiggle

It felt and looked like a b-movie that had too much time, money, and effort going into it.
I'm not saying buy it, I'm saying barrow it atmost.

Anyways, Co$ won't come here because they aren't the type of people to approach people, unless they are rich or are useful to them.

Watch Nukie on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wab1Y713tN0
"Like" International Fans of the Movie Nukie and Sias Odendaal on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Fans-of-the-Movie-Nukie-and-Sias-Odendaal/135820159771783
the Rev. J. Darkside
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2008, 03:35:54 PM »

Have you forgotten about their war on the internet and their vow to silence all criticism by all means legal or illegal? However, I've decided that maybe I was a little too harsh. I'll give it one more chance. I haven't seen it since about 2004 or so. I'll borrow it, though. They're not getting any of my money. Finding it will be difficult, though, because I've made sure I have no friends who like that "film" or whatever it's supposed to be. That's one of the few films I believe should be mass pirated to drive down their profits. Why are so many of my favorite actors in that church? It's not that their beliefs differ from my mine, but that they're such a***oles about it. Every religion has their kooky, nutjob, orthodox fundamentalists. Everyone from Christianity to Islam. But nutjob fundamentalists include every Scientologist. They're just real jerks. Even LeVeyan Satanists are nicer, and they consider themselves evil and use words like "diabolical" in their self desciptions. But this isn't a theological argument. The fact that they're all radical extremists that attack psychiatrists and they tried to sell us this $75,000,000 ($44,000,000 in real money) turd is the argument.

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2008, 03:42:42 PM »

The book is fair to good.  The film is awful, but some of the idiocy and awful performances make it worth watching.  I don't know how many times the line, "Stupid man-animal!  Hahahahaha!" is shouted during the movie, but it's quite a few.

Scientology is considered a cult by Germany and was denied status as a religious organization.  Just last year Germany tried to ban it (they failed).  It's probably a good thing for personal freedoms that the effort failed, but I can agree with their reasons for pursuing it.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1695514,00.html

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
the Rev. J. Darkside
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2008, 11:04:41 PM »

Germany has an almost Naziesque censorship of the media. I find it odd that Germany would classify them as a cult and refuse to recognize them as a religious group, which is what classifying them as a cult pretty much was. Germany has a few good ideas like banning all racist speech altogether, which we can't do here with freedom of speech and whatnot. I've been a cleric since the sixth of February as a Lutheran (probably the youngest in my area), but I've pretty much converted to SubGenius (also a "cult"; we wear the term like a badge of honor). I am still authorized to perform Lutheran sacrements and I believe the BASIC message is good. I tend to defend various misunderstood faiths and fringe cults because of my studies in theology and metaphysics. I've defended Satanists, Wiccans, Mormans, Muslims, Hebrews and a host of others from people who don't know what they're talking about and follow rumors. The Church of Scientology, however, has no redeming qualities that I've been able to find. They're conglomerate bullies (like all fundamentalists). As a marine, Andrew, you no doubt come into contact with people of a lot of faiths (the military has been accused of being Christian-centric, but I heard they're rectifing that). Have you met Scientologists in the Corps? My mother is a veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom, but her religious tolerance is a bit narrow so discouse on religion in the military is a difficult topic to stomach with her sometimes. Not that she's intolerant, per se.

ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2008, 04:58:38 PM »

Scientology is considered a cult by Germany and was denied status as a religious organization.  Just last year Germany tried to ban it (they failed). 

The fact is that the "Cult Awareness Network" in the United States clearly and concisely points out that Scientology is NOT a cult. I repeat, It is NOT a cult.

Of course this may be because CO$ legally wrangled the C.A.N. into bankruptcy, then bought them up. Yes, that's right, the "Cult Awareness Network" is OWNED by the CO$. How convenient.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
the Rev. J. Darkside
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2008, 05:11:56 PM »

I know. That was a long and bloody war. The trick is Hubbard taught his lackeys to fight dirty and deny everything.

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2008, 07:08:56 PM »

As a marine, Andrew, you no doubt come into contact with people of a lot of faiths (the military has been accused of being Christian-centric, but I heard they're rectifing that). Have you met Scientologists in the Corps? My mother is a veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom, but her religious tolerance is a bit narrow so discouse on religion in the military is a difficult topic to stomach with her sometimes. Not that she's intolerant, per se.

I have yet to meet a Marine who was a Scientologist.  As for religions of Marines, we have a lot of Christians, but that is not the product of any intentional focus.  I would say it's just a reflection of the demographic who usually enlists in the Marine corps.  Obviously we're not going to get a lot of volunteers from religions that push pacifism, nor ones whose members are also usually members of political groups who oppose military service.

I'm a bit strange as I am 1 generation removed from Amish, and they are not the sort who enlist.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Is Battlefield Earth a must see? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.