Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:20:12 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Is Battlefield Earth a must see? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Is Battlefield Earth a must see?  (Read 20073 times)
ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2008, 07:27:12 PM »

I knew one person that I can think of that was some weird religion that I believe was or was similar to CO$ when I was in the Army. The only people I've ever talked to that were devout scientologists were pretty arrogant and I'm sure they would have seen military service as beneath them. I'm not saying that's standard for people of that faith, just my severely limited experience. I knew at least one person that was Muslim, and quite a few that were LDS. I knew a few that claimed  to be Pagan, Druid, Wiccan, , but never anyone that wasn't a bored kid looking for attention. I think they spent too much time staring at their dog tags, trying to come up with something creative to put down as their relegion.

I find it interesting that you are of Amish ancestry, that's something you don't hear of often, and I grew up in Ohio, there were quite a bit of Amish nearby, many of the local small general stores got some of their product from the Amish. What intrigues me is how did WHOEVER in your family that parted ways from the Amish lifestyle do so? I had always heard that if you leave an Amish community, you leave penniless and empty handed, with only the clothes you are wearing and enough food for one meal. Not sure how one survives like that or how it happens otherwise.

We did have 'Amish Gypsies' in Ohio also, but haven't heard the term for a few dozen years. This was people that dressed like the Amish, and proclaimed to be Amish, but were really rip-off artists. They would often sell stolen food to stores Or buy a bunch of old, frozen chickens in bulk, thaw and unwrap them and sell them for more as fresh. They were notorious as shoplifters, since their clothes made it easy to hide things. A kid I knew worked at K-Mart and used to bust them regularly.

Anyways, Andrew, are you really coming up to Alaska, and if so, what for?

L8r
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 07:29:14 PM by ghouck » Logged

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
the Rev. J. Darkside
Bad Movie Lover

"Life's a b***h, and she's back in heat."

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2008, 09:18:20 PM »

Amish, huh? I used to defend the Amish and still do from time to time, but the problem is that if someone tells an Amish joke on television, will any Amish really hear it? I love the Amish lifestyle and I thought about joining them if not for their stupid punishment system. One of them had been raping his daughter for six years since she was two, and their punishment was to shun him for a month. But other that that, I admire them. They are tolerant of those outside their church, but they vehemently villify those who leave the church, or at least the majority do. Can you speak Pennsylvannia Dutch, Andrew?

Ghouck, could that "weird religion" that was similar to Scientology have been the Church of the SubGenius? www.subgenius.com I am a member. One of our sacrements is watching really bad films in a devotional, trance-like state. In fact, our entire church is like one giant B-Film. The mystery here is: why wasn't I defrocked?

I feel a little bad that the Roma or "Gypsies" have such a bad reputation that racism against them is not discouraged or frowned upon. A lot of them are scammers, but that brings suspicion on all of them, unfortunatly. We even have racist terms like "Man, what a gyp!", which are allowed on television.

Bruce Campbell is a lover and a fighter. If you want to find him, follow the trail of dead men and pregnant women.
Nukie 2

I did it all for the...

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2008, 10:10:52 PM »

It all goes back to owning property or having a homeland-- gypsies have neither so some them are forced into scamming to make a living.

Watch Nukie on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wab1Y713tN0
"Like" International Fans of the Movie Nukie and Sias Odendaal on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Fans-of-the-Movie-Nukie-and-Sias-Odendaal/135820159771783
the Rev. J. Darkside
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2008, 10:19:15 PM »

Well, each culture has those they despise. For most United States Americans, it's the United Stated Mexicans or Arabs and Muslims. The Netherlands also complains about Arabic immigrants. For the Czech Republic, it's Gypsies. For most of the entire world, it's "Americans." This hostility needs to end.

Bruce Campbell is a lover and a fighter. If you want to find him, follow the trail of dead men and pregnant women.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2008, 11:28:10 PM »

Ghouck, could that "weird religion" that was similar to Scientology have been the Church of the SubGenius? www.subgenius.com I am a member. One of our sacrements is watching really bad films in a devotional, trance-like state. In fact, our entire church is like one giant B-Film. The mystery here is: why wasn't I defrocked?

I'm not sure, I don't remember many real specifics, I do remember some talk of different 'levels' that were to be attained, and something about 'turning into light'. The guy was a weirdo, got kicked out mainly because he didn't know how to take care of his kids. DHSS stepped in and was going to take them away, I believe he got out so he could leave the state and avoid them.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2008, 11:44:39 PM »

I'm a bit strange as I am 1 generation removed from Amish, and they are not the sort who enlist.

1 generation removed from the Amish?  Well, that explains... um... nothing.  Carry on.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
the Rev. J. Darkside
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2008, 11:48:11 PM »

He wasn't one of us, then. We are billed as "The first secular church," and "a church that's proud to pay its taxes!" We don't take ourselves seriously. We are Scientology and the Freemasons mixed with the dumb crap removed. We watch badfilms, listen to obnoxious music and read trashy novels. We count Bruce Campbell, Wiley Wiggins, Mark Mothersbaugh (as well as most of Devo), R. Crumb, Mojo Nixon, Paul Reubens (half member), Frank Zappa (half member), Penn Jillette, most of Sublime and others as proud members. We follow the path of least resistance. If somethings hard to do, it's not worth doing... unless you want to. I don't know what that guy was. He could have been in one of those Scientology spin-off groups that oppose the main church for one reason or other. He might have been a Raelian (I doubt it).
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 12:08:13 AM by the Rev. J. Darkside » Logged

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2008, 11:50:03 PM »

My fellow Rev., if you haven't been defrocked yet, then you are simply not devout enough.  I was probably defrocked before you were born.  Don't worry, your time will come before someone else is born.  

Now, I profess the religion the Almighty and me worked out betwixt us.

the Rev. J. Darkside
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2008, 12:35:26 AM »

By being defrocked, I meant by the Lutheran Church, of course, from whence I was ordained. For whatever reason they have not felt the need to take away my powers of the ministry. I do my Christian part well; I preach, perform baptisms, officiate marriages, hear confession (most Lutheran churches have quit confession, even though the Lutheran Church officially offers it; it is seen as an optional spiritual service and not mandatory), give communion, perform exorcisms (haven't done one yet, but I'm studying). Perhaps I haven't given them a reason to kick me out. The congregants and fellow clergy seem to enjoy my presence and speak highly of me, despite some of my radical ideas. I've read the book about twelve times so far, and I studied it immensly. About my fourth time around, the doubts set in. I wouldn't let the others know, because I'd lose my credibility. I mostly believe in what I'm doing, and I do it well. If I am defrocked, so what? If not, I can still do some good because I believe the basic message is good. I encourage good morals in the young and discourage the bigotry that ultimately comes from all organized religions. It's all about dogma and basic doctrine. I understand it, but the source is ambiguous for me now. Do I tell the fellow clergy that I doubt? No. Does that make me a bad person? I'd like to hope not. I found out early on, though, that the clerical collar is a girl repellant.

By the way, that was a quote from Night of the Hunter, right?

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2008, 11:09:46 AM »

By being defrocked, I meant by the Lutheran Church, of course, from whence I was ordained. For whatever reason they have not felt the need to take away my powers of the ministry. I do my Christian part well; I preach, perform baptisms, officiate marriages, hear confession (most Lutheran churches have quit confession, even though the Lutheran Church officially offers it; it is seen as an optional spiritual service and not mandatory), give communion, perform exorcisms (haven't done one yet, but I'm studying). Perhaps I haven't given them a reason to kick me out. The congregants and fellow clergy seem to enjoy my presence and speak highly of me, despite some of my radical ideas. I've read the book about twelve times so far, and I studied it immensly. About my fourth time around, the doubts set in. I wouldn't let the others know, because I'd lose my credibility. I mostly believe in what I'm doing, and I do it well. If I am defrocked, so what? If not, I can still do some good because I believe the basic message is good. I encourage good morals in the young and discourage the bigotry that ultimately comes from all organized religions. It's all about dogma and basic doctrine. I understand it, but the source is ambiguous for me now. Do I tell the fellow clergy that I doubt? No. Does that make me a bad person? I'd like to hope not. I found out early on, though, that the clerical collar is a girl repellant.

By the way, that was a quote from Night of the Hunter, right?

Shoot--I didn't realize you were a Lutheran minister!  I assumed you meant being defrocked by the Subgeniuses--which, of course, is the only way to obtain enlightenment.

I am not sure about whether you should remain in the ministry.  That's a question of conscience.  Of course, you point out that you're doing a lot of good for the community.  Everyone has doubts, so I wouldn't think that would automatically disqualify you from service.  I think your attitude right now is thoughtful and wise, and either alternative will be fine.  You're in a win-win situation there. 

Yes, the quote is from NIGHT OF THE HUNTER.  It's Powell's answer when Ben, suspicious of the questions the preacher has been asking him in the jail cell, asks the question "What religion do you profess?"

ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2008, 11:36:25 AM »

The mystery here is: why wasn't I defrocked?

Defrocked? Is that another name for circumsized?

asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2008, 12:16:11 PM »

The mystery here is: why wasn't I defrocked?

Defrocked? Is that another name for circumsized?

Defrocked:
1.  To strip of priestly privileges and functions.
2. To deprive of the right to practice a profession.
3. To deprive of an honorary position.

Taken from http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Defrocked
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2008, 12:18:58 PM »

Well, each culture has those they despise. For most United States Americans, it's the United Stated Mexicans or Arabs and Muslims.

Perhaps the outspoken racists qualify, but most Americans do not despise anyone.  After Christians, I would say that Muslims are the next most common religion the the Marine Corps.  The only Muslims I have a problem with are those who believe that I am an infidel and need to die.  They're on the same level as violent skinheads or other groups that advocate violence against others based on religion or race.

My relatives all knew German.  I haven't spoken much German in years (more than a decade).  My grandparents spoke it fluently, along with two of my aunts, but I haven't seen much of my aunts in years and both of my grandparents have passed away.

My father left the Amish ways.  At this point, I would say that side of my family is about 20% Amish, 40% Mennonite, and the last 40% are indistinguishable from the rest of middle America.  25 years ago at the family reunions it was quite different.  My dad and I were the only two in blue jeans.  Never had any problems with all my cousins over the difference.  We still ran around the farm playing like kids do.

Oh, and my Borntreger family traces back to Ohio, vice Pennsylvania.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2008, 05:03:44 PM »

Didn't have as much experience with Amish growing up, but we were right in the middle of Ontario Mennonite country, and I used to hang out with a lot of guys who were only a generation or two away from horses and buggies. The thing about Mennonites (and other Anabaptist faiths as well), is that they aren't a single group. They're a collection of various sects that split off over the decades due to differences of opinion. Anabaptists are congregationalist, so they don't really have a national church telling them what to do. Each community is autonomous.

My friends were not really distinguishable from anyone else if you didn't know better. They were members of a mainstream Mennonite church. Some of their relatives were members of the Old Order - black clothes and horses. And in between those groups was the "Markham" church, which allowed cars, but only black ones without visible chrome. Families can actually migrate from the conservative to the modern in steps.

Of course, those were the groups most closely connected to my town and the people I knew. There are other sects. Not far away from my hometown are the "David Martin" Mennonites, who are free to use modern technology for business but not for personal comfort. They carry cell phones and use computers in their workshops, but they have no power or running water in their homes, and drive horse-drawn buggies. And I've heard of sects more conservative than the Old Order.

Anyway, my experience with Amish is limited, as the Ontario Amish live further west, but I've heard they have a similar situation. Opting for a more modern life is not necessarily a clean break, but can be more of a transition.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
the Rev. J. Darkside
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2008, 05:54:56 PM »

The Amish have been known to seperate on a difference of opinion on hat or button color or the shape of a wagon's wheels. As far as outspoken racists go, maybe it's just my area. My nation is in mid Arkansas where outspoken racists are common. All I hear is crap like "They took our jobs!" or "That towel-head that runs the jewelry store's gonna bomb the courthouse!" or the one I hear from my father "If they come to our country to live, they need to speak the language. They need to learn English or go home," and other such nonsense. The south had a field day with the election. My area may not be be typical for everyone, but I've never left the south as far as I can remember and I'm quite used to ignorant racists, much to my chagrin. I strongly dislike them. As far as Muslim extremists go, I've mentioned that each group has extemists. If you believe the whole "holy war" mumbo jumbo, then the Christians struck first with the crusades and a host of other campaigns. The Quran explicitly forbids the terrorism expressed by Al Quaeda and the Taliban. We have Christian terrorists, too, but they're mentioned in the news as nutjobs (there's a lot of them in Africa killing "witch children" right now) but they pass off Middle Eastern terrorists as typical Muslims for some reason. As the great Saint George (Carlin) put it, "The more devout they are, the more murder seems to be... negotiable. More people have been killed in the name of God than for any other reason. It's because they gave the wrong answer to the 'God' question. It tends to go something like this: 'Do you believe in God?' 'No.' *BAM* Dead. 'Do you believe in God?' 'Yes.' 'Do you believe in my God?' 'No.' *BAM* Dead. 'My God has a bigger dick than your God!'" Whatever, I guess.

I speak poor German. My ancestors came here from Palatine, Germany in 1734 and settled in Fredrick County in the province of Maryland before gradually moving south over the next two hundred years. I even have my ancestor Michael's will from 1770, which I think is cool. He left his wife two cows.

Thank you for the encouragement, Rev. Powell. I'm glad that you understood where I was coming from. The official plural of SubGenius is "SubGenii," although both plurals are used in our "holy books" (there are three). Anything a SubGenius priest says at anytime immediately becomes part of official orthodox church dogma. The closest thing we've actually had to a SubGenius defrocking was David Byrne from the Talking Heads.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 05:56:31 PM by the Rev. J. Darkside » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Is Battlefield Earth a must see? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.