Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:08:24 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Fallout 3 thus far « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fallout 3 thus far  (Read 6150 times)
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: October 30, 2008, 12:34:12 AM »

So I had yesterday off, and hied meself over to a game store to buy Fallout 3 for the xbox.

I loved Fallout 1 and 2, and I'd have to say, thus far I think Fallout 3 looks good.  It's hard to compare the games closely given the technology differences (turn-based older isometric view games versus realtime shooter that moves like mouse + WASD).   That said, they got the ambience very well down.

There's clutter and destruction everywhere, and it takes a fair bit of one's brainpower just to sort through the clutter and jumble of it all.  It's bleak, kind of saddening, and in places horribly plausible as atmospheres go.

The RPG aspect so far is reasonably well done, and the combat system is I would say right on.  The called-shot system ("VATS") is great -- you can lay an amazing smackdown on raiders with a baseball bat, which is what I've just finished doing.  Sneaking up on them would be better... must put more points into sneak.

So I'll forge onwards, but welcome anyone else's thoughts.   I think spoiler-free, though, would be best.
dean

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 06:49:46 AM »

Because of Australia's notorious gaming regulations, our censorship board stepped in and we apparently have an edited version.  I must find out what's different in ours.

As an example: in Grand Theft Auto IV, when you pick up hookers, the camera zooms in on the numberplate until the act is over.

Stupid...

But anyways, I loved Oblivion, and I'm looking forward to Fallout 3.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
BTM

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 07:05:25 AM »

Dang, wish I had a computer that could play this and the money to get the game. 

Just hope it runs okay on the PC.  I had so much trouble with Oblivion that I eventually quit playing it, cause it would freeze about every half hour or so, annoying the heck out of me.  It'd worked fine if I did a "clean boot" my Windows to play it, but after restarting my computer, I'd have to change a whole bunch of stuff back to "normal", and it got to be too much of a hassle.

I guess that's part of the reason the video game market is currently kicking the PC game market's ass. 

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 06:49:34 PM »

I'm very sad, have een waiting for years for this, andI can't run this guy at all.  If not ovious,  I LOVE the Fallout games, even Tactics (and the ba$tard cousin Arcanum).  One day I'll be able to play it.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 11:06:02 PM »

I'm enjoying it so far. I've never gotten around to playing the first two, a fact of which I am much ashamed. Fallout 3 is fun. Oblivion with guns.

Question: I bought this game for the PC, despite the rumblings I have heard over massive copy protection problems. However, I have had NONE of these problems. I don't even need to have the disc in the computer. My guess is that it wasn't optimized for Vista for some reason, but that's a guess. Anybody know the Straight Dope?

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Jim H

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 08:33:42 PM »

I've enjoyed it so far.  Not as good as the first two though.  I feel in particular the cut down length and importance of conversations is disappointing, though it is still WAAAAAY better than Oblivion, which had the worst conversation system in any game ever made.

One small note: it runs BETTER than Oblivion does.  Oblivion runs poorly on my computer, though it is playable.  Fallout 3 is quite playable, though I'd still say it runs poor.
flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 07:40:04 AM »

I played for the 360 and I had one #$Q$##ing  good time doing so. I like how this game has a means to an ends. In otherwords I feel like I'm actually getting somewhere, unlike oblivion which I seemed to go nowhere in the plot.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 03:51:23 PM »

*Weeps uncrontrollably*

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 01:31:11 AM »

*Weeps uncrontrollably*
Its okay, just take deep breaths and think of something else.
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 01:26:51 AM »

The ending was a bit abrupt, but I still liked it.  I'm playing through again, like I always do -- power game the second time.

I finally figured out what the "exploding pants" counter meant... I must say, that got me to laugh out loud.  (If you pickpocket someone and load them up with a grenade, the explosion is quite brutal and effective.  I just had to see what Smiling Jack had on him!)
Hammock Rider

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 12:54:51 PM »

I LOVED Fallout 2. It was some of the most fun I ever had at my computer, although it  took me forever to get that dynamite stuck to the end of the pole near the end.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 07:19:30 PM »

I picked up Fallout 3 the day it was released.  On top of that, I also got the enormous strategy guide for it.  It's 464 pages of Fallout 3 goodness!

So far, the game is pretty good.  I'm not too keen on the color scheme but then again, it is an apocalyptic wasteland.
I also wish the 3rd person view would have been better done.  One of the great things about Oblivion (which I also own) was that the game played great in both 3rd and 1st person perspectives.  In Fallout 3, the 3rd person view is absolutely atrocious.

The V.A.T.S. combat system is pretty good but it seems like I miss half of the shots.  I'll have a raider bearing down on me and I'll fire 3-4 shots using VATS and only 1-2 of them will actually connect.
And those darn giant scorpions!  Every time I get near one, it chases me down and kills me.   Bluesad

Overall, I have to say that I like Oblivion better, but Fallout 3 is still good.
I'd give Fallout 3: 3 out of 4 stars.

By the way, check out the link below for a really cool video that details the history of the Fallout games.  It's quite interesting.   Thumbup
(you'll have to scroll most of the way down the page to see it)

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/?page=15
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 05:12:39 AM by Ash » Logged
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Fallout 3 thus far « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.