Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:59:35 AM
713350 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Phase IV « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Phase IV  (Read 26801 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: November 01, 2008, 07:51:22 AM »

Scientists discover a race of super ants that can chew through metal and build skyscrapers.  Unfortunately, the humans' plan for establishing contact with the ants is to shoot at the ant city.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 08:25:49 AM »

TeddyR

Thanks for the great review, Andrew, I was seven when I saw this for the first time and I remember Stephen King's review of it in Danse Macabre: ["Saul] Bass' ants aren't even really big, they're just little buggers who've pulled together.":

"All you a-holes with magnifying glasses: stop giving the ants ideas."   TeddyR  BounceGiggle

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
DavidFullam
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 10:42:03 AM »

Never liked this movie. Every review of it in magazines and reference books keep harping on how it is some kind of neglected classic. I'm like "whatever." I'd rather watch Them and Empire of the Ants.
Chris McAvey
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »

Wasn't this movie riffed in one of the KTMA episodes of MST3K?
mrgb46
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 03:47:58 PM »

:twirl:Yes,it is..Too bad they couldn't go back,like they did with the Gamera movies and redo this one.Would've been interesting to see what Mike and the bots could've done with it.
Sardu
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 01:16:18 PM »

I have found a mistake in your review.  At the end of paragraph three you wrote "(unless they are holding hands and singing)" when clearly what you meant to say was "(Especially when they are holding hands and singing)".

Please edit this.

Thank you.

TongueOut
Trurl
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 01:24:54 PM »

What if...what if regular everyday ants are smart because they do not build skyscrapers? What if Donald Trump is the idiot?

I like that- it echoes that line from Douglas Adams's the Hitchhiker's Guide, the one that goes (roughly paraphrased):

Man always considered himself smarter than dolphins because of all the great things he had accomplished; the wheel, New York City, that sort of thing, while all the dolphins did was muck about in the water having a good time.  Conversely, dolphins considered themselves superior for exactly the same reasons.
Jay the Magnificent
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 02:25:43 PM »

thought this movie was a bit too cerebral for the common movie watcher.
but notion of instant evolutionary uplift by way of cosmic rays is wacky taffy

very 70s  Twirling
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 07:58:27 PM »

What if...what if regular everyday ants are smart because they do not build skyscrapers? What if Donald Trump is the idiot?

I like that- it echoes that line from Douglas Adams's the Hitchhiker's Guide, the one that goes (roughly paraphrased):

Douglas Adams was an incredible writer.  The characters were perhaps average, but he had a way of working little truths into his writing that make me laugh out loud.  Thank you much for that; it made my day.

Never liked this movie. Every review of it in magazines and reference books keep harping on how it is some kind of neglected classic. I'm like "whatever." I'd rather watch Them and Empire of the Ants.

thought this movie was a bit too cerebral for the common movie watcher.
but notion of instant evolutionary uplift by way of cosmic rays is wacky taffy

very 70s  Twirling

Unfortunately, the humans are shallow personalities.  The ants end up with more depth as characters.  The long sequence with the ants dragging the poison to the queen, and each dying in turn, had a lot of empathy.  For me, the scenes with the scientists interacting are mostly filler, and the young girl is entirely filler.  The scene where the scientists viewed the ant skyscrapers is awesome.  They needed more scenes like that and like the self-sacrificing poison retrieval.  That or extremely selfish scenes with the humans as counterpoint to the ants.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Torgo

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 08:41:35 PM »

I had seen this flick years ago but didn't know what it was called. 

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
J.D.
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 03:52:19 AM »

Oh this movie is awesome!
Neville

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 02:56:20 PM »

I saw it on my late teens, found it absolutely fascinating. I need to watch this again.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 06:01:05 PM »

When I saw this, and I saw only the ending to it, I found it very cerebral. More so than most films. I don't know whether I liked it or not, as I said, I didn't see all of it. One of these days I'm going to have to see all of it, to see whether I liked it not.
BZ
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 07:50:59 PM »

OMG, thank you for this hilarious, insightful and totally spot-on review!  I haven't seen this movie for about 20 years, and I remember it as though it were yesterday.  Kinda just sticks with you!  I agree that it is a forgotten classic, as we all remember it so well, and apparently so would anyone else that watches it.
And yes, D.T. is an idiot!
Flu-Bird
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 03:02:54 PM »

Can never be as good as THEM this classic giant bug movie is the best
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Phase IV « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.