Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:13:00 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Any NHL Fans in the house? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Any NHL Fans in the house?  (Read 3967 times)
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« on: November 02, 2008, 09:21:45 AM »

I stay familiar with the NHL through the games, which I've been playing ever since I got a Sega Genesis as a kid.  I know they've been through some tough times as of late, but with new stars like Sidney Crosby coming onto the scene, I'm more confident that we'll see more new games coming from EA and 2K.  (It helps that they have a star now whose name average Americans can pronounce, hehe.)

I also respect the NHL's history.  I recently bought a copy of NHL 2K8 on the cheap, and I recreated The Winnipeg Jets, The Quebec Nordiques, and the Minnesota North Stars.  It's great to see the extinct teams back in action in a game like this.   TeddyR

Speaking of which, there's also the Hartford Whalers.  Any hardcore NHL fan knows about this old team, which is now in Carolina as the Hurricanes.  I don't know about you guys, but I constantly think to myself, when is this city gonna stop being jerks, and let EA and 2K have the Whalers old logos and uniforms? 

I hate to say it, Hartford, but the Whalers are NOT coming back.  You should stop slapping your fans in the face like this, and let them be able to recreate them in console form.   
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 11:39:46 AM »

I have never been able to get into hockey whatsoever, although I have friends who are absolute fanatics about it.  In fact, I have a friend who briefly lived in Hartford and was a Whalers fan.  Personally, I tend to nod off when they convince me to attend a hockey game.  But they do the same when I've taken them to basketball games.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 04:09:24 PM »

I think the NHL needs to take further steps in order to increase their popularity.  I think they took a step in the right direction by eliminating tie games, because if there's one thing Americans hate more than anything else in sports, it's ties.  That's why soccer has never caught on.

I think the reason that so many non-fans like you, Rev Powell, find Hockey boring, other than the ties, is all the stopping and face-offs.  I can never really watch games on TV either, because of all the times the goalie makes a save...then freezes the puck for another face off.  They should take steps to limit that kind of stuff, even make it illegal in some cases, so they can keep the flow of an exciting game. 
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 10:12:54 PM »

I don't watch all the NHL games on tv, but I do try to watch the Flyers as much as possible.  They're my favorite team.  Unfortunately, I wasn't alive during the Broad Street Bullies heyday with Dave Schultz holding a league record of 472 penalty minutes in a SINGLE SEASON.  Hard to imagine nowadays. TeddyR

Speaking of which, there's also the Hartford Whalers.  Any hardcore NHL fan knows about this old team, which is now in Carolina as the Hurricanes.  I don't know about you guys, but I constantly think to myself, when is this city gonna stop being jerks, and let EA and 2K have the Whalers old logos and uniforms? 

Uniforms come and go, D-Man, but Hartford, The Whale, beats Vancouver once, maybe twice in a lifetime. BounceGiggle

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 10:23:55 PM »

I've watched a lot of AHL games in the past.  I don't follow it religiously but I find it to be a great evening out.  I recall going to see the Whaler's farm team The Springfield Indians back home frequently.  I had bought a jersey that eventually Snoop Dogg wore in one of his videos making the little team popular.  Nowadays they are known as the Springfield Falcons.  Ever since I move to RI, I've been to one Providence Bruins games.  I think when my son is older, we'll go to many more. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
flackbait
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 04:00:02 AM »

Why didn't I notice this earlier, I love Hockey. Although I think its one of those games where its probably better seen at the ice rink then on the tube.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 09:14:09 AM »

I grew up watching hockey - starting back in the 60's - whole family played (from shinny to neighbourhood leagues) at some point, so it is more or less ingrained.  Far easier to get caught up in the excitement of the play if one has actually skated and chased a puck.  Hubby still watches a game on TV now and then: amazes me how quickly it all comes back and there I am yelling "SKATE! SKATE!!!" once again. (Even worse at the rink, watching kids play: hard to keep one's mouth shut!)

Once the ponds freeze, we keep a couple of nets out there - as do the neighbours - and a trunk full of skates.  How Canadian is that?

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Any NHL Fans in the house? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.