Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:43:12 PM
714241 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  A*P*E (1976) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A*P*E (1976)  (Read 4128 times)
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: November 03, 2008, 06:10:36 PM »

A*P*E   was a Korean/American co-production that was originally supposed to be titled The New King Kong before RKO filed a lawsuit making them change the name.  It came out in 1976 when Dino Delaurentis' ill-advised remake of  King Kong came out.

I hadn't seen A*P*E in years and I couldn't believe how awful this movie was. I can't really fathom how anyone involved with this piece of crap thought that this was releasable.   At the beginning of the flick that gargantuan ape has already been captured and promptly escapes.    Much hilarity ensues as the beast walks around all hunkered over like it's really constipated or something.

The worst part is that the ape suit looks like it had been getting eaten by moths prior to filming and at certain points in the movie the actor's t-shirt in the suit can be seen through holes in the costume.  There are also numerous spots where the wrists of the man in the suit are completely visible.

The movie was also filmed in 3-D so we get treated to tons of shots where things like rocks are "thrown" torwards the camera.  No attempt was made to hire wires in these shots of any sort.

Easily the movie's most infamous moment is when the ape after swatting a toy helicopter into a  mountain side promptly flips off the camera:
Small | Large

I took it that he's actually flipping us off, the viewing audience who are having to suffer through this cinematic abomination.

I should also mention numerous shots in which Korean extras are supposed to be running in total fear of the giant ape but are instead clearly smiling and running all goofy towards the camera in numerous shots.

There's also the usual cantankerous general who finds it hard to believe that a giant ape is running loose after seeing proof of it at numerous points.  There's the usual female actress who the ape falls for briefly for (played by Joanna Kerns of Growing Pains fame).

Anyway, beware of this one. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 06:13:23 PM by Torgo » Logged

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 06:17:09 PM »

I love this film! I got really drunk one night and watched King Kong vs Godzilla (which always cracks me up) followed by A*P*E, I can only say that I nearly died from laughter that night! There are so many errors in this film and nobody cared at all how glaring they were...great stuff!

Captain Tars Tarkas
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 06:55:25 PM »

Has anyone seen it in 3d?  My copy is just the regular version, I was wondering if the 3d improves it in any way at all.

Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 09:49:21 PM »

I like the epic shark battle in the beginning. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
inframan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 09:29:13 AM »

I saw it in 3-D at the Alamo Drafthouse a couple years ago. I couldn't believe how bad it was, it rides the line on so bad its good and just plain bad. It makes Mighty Peking Man look like a masterpiece. I read a reivew of another KK rip of that was supposed to be worse than both of these cant remember the name right now...

My favorite part was the stock footage, I remember there was footage of a helicopter repeated like 3 times in a row! The audience cheered when the stock footage montage was over. Also the battle with the (dead) shark was a real WTF moment.

Don't forget the alternate title of this flick: Attack of the Giant Horny Gorilla
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 11:43:25 AM »

I have always wanted to see (actually, I've wanted to OWN) this movie.  But I would feel empty if I didn't see the 3-D version . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Torgo

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 04:08:55 PM »

I read a reivew of another KK rip of that was supposed to be worse than both of these cant remember the name right now...

You might be thinking of Queen Kong which actually went unreleased for 25 years due to rights problems over the name. It was also supposed to come out in 1976 but didn't.    Cheers

Small | Large

inframan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 05:34:16 PM »

I'm sure that one is bad, I'd always heard of Queen Kong but I didn't know about the rights issue. Here's what I was thinking of, the Mighty Gorga
I need to see this one
http://www.eccentric-cinema.com/cult_movies/mighty_gorga.htm
Torgo

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 08:58:11 PM »

I'm sure that one is bad, I'd always heard of Queen Kong but I didn't know about the rights issue. Here's what I was thinking of, the Mighty Gorga
I need to see this one
http://www.eccentric-cinema.com/cult_movies/mighty_gorga.htm

I actually own The Mighty Gorga on DVD. In fact, this past weekend when my friends and myself suffered through A*P*E, we also suffered through The Mighty Gorga and Might Peking Man all in a row. I don't think that I'll ever recover.

Small | Large

Small | Large

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 06:45:36 AM »

I always thought Konga (1961) was the best rip-off of King Kong.

Small | Large

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 07:03:02 AM »

I have QUEEN KONG on DVD.  It's awful.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Torgo

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 06:50:34 PM »

I have QUEEN KONG on DVD.  It's awful.

I might get that at some point.  If I can find it dirt cheap that is. Maybe I'll just get a friend to get it on Net Flix and rip me a copy.   TeddyR 

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  A*P*E (1976) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.