Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:33:00 AM
714229 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Legend (1985) - a question « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Legend (1985) - a question  (Read 3261 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: November 05, 2008, 02:07:43 AM »

I got the 2-disc set of Legend today.  I watched the director's cut hoping the 20 or so extra minutes would make the movie make sense.

Not so much.

One thing I did notice, though, was that everyone kept referring to Jack as a "boy" or "little boy".  Lili was "the girl".  Given that, and the way Jack and Lili generally act, I think they must have been written with much younger actors in mind, I'm thinking 15-16 years old at most.

Anybody else ever get that idea?

(Or ... were we supposed to understand that 20-something Tom Cruise and Mia Sara were supposed to be 16 or so in the context of the film?)

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 07:09:03 AM »

Yeah, I think we are meant to believe that Cruise is alot younger.

akiratubo

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 12:11:52 AM »

They should have gone ahead and cast younger actors.  I think that would have helped the movie a lot, particularly with the fairy-tale feeling they were going for.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 10:13:11 PM »

It's difficult to look at LEGEND and not see TOM CRUISE in it, but, I mean, my point is that he wasn't nearly so annoying or powerful or crazed 20+ years ago...
I also think there is a precedence for referring to, say, "under 25" male and female characters as "boy" and "girl" (particularly when they're as short as CRUISE... BounceGiggle)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 12:39:25 AM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
GoHawks
Bad Movie Lover

Happiness is a dancing beagle.

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 02:18:34 AM »

I think everyone else is spot on that the characters were supposed to be young, but I think there may be more to it than just that.

It's been a long time since I've seen this film, but weren't Jack and Lily the only humans in the story?

Wouldn't it then make sense for all of the non-human characters to refer to them as 'boy' and 'girl' just as you or I might use 'bull' or 'cow'?  I.e. whenever someone said 'boy' they were in effect saying 'male human'.

"Please do not offer my god a peanut."  -  Apu
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 05:39:21 AM »

It's difficult to look at LEGEND and not see TOM CRUISE in it, but, I mean, my point is that he wasn't nearly so annoying or powerful or crazed 20+ years ago...

Because he was still green in the business...

Wouldn't it then make sense for all of the non-human characters to refer to them as 'boy' and 'girl' just as you or I might use 'bull' or 'cow'?  I.e. whenever someone said 'boy' they were in effect saying 'male human'.

I'd go along with that as an explanation too.

akiratubo

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 10:19:28 AM »

It's been a long time since I've seen this film, but weren't Jack and Lily the only humans in the story?

There were the "poor" people living in the cottage, and Lily was a princess of something or another.  I assume a human kingdom but who knows?

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Legend (1985) - a question « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.