Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:41:09 AM
713331 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Who Here has Read WATCHMEN? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Who Here has Read WATCHMEN?  (Read 11744 times)
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« on: November 05, 2008, 10:16:31 AM »

I just finished reading this extraordinary graphic novel yesterday.  I bought it right after I saw the trailer for the upcoming movie, and read more about it in Entertainment Weekly.  I was just curious if anyone else here has read it, because I found it to be the most haunting and memorable piece of comic book history that I have ever read.

Frankly, I'm not too sure if this can work as a movie.  There's a lot of raw material in the novel that people won't expect to see in a comic book movie, and it could put them off.  Plus the climax is very nihilistic, and a real downer (although with a fairly happy ending for two of the protagonists). 

I love comic book movies, and they took some real good steps forward this year, with Iron Man, the new Hulk, and The Dark Knight.  I'd really hate for the Watchmen movie to screw up, and set this fun genre back all over again.   
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 05:19:10 PM »

It's a tough one, for sure, otherwise it would have been made years ago.  Terry Gilliam called it 'unfilmable'.

It's a great piece of work.  The way it builds and ends is pretty much perfect, and there is a good reason they call it the Citizen Kane of comics.

I do however think Snyder will do a great job: The trailer looks fantastic and seemed to fit really well: Great choice of song, great look etc.  I almost peed my pants when I saw it!

I think what works in it's favour is that it's not like your Batmans or Supermans etc.  Its a very human story that happens to involve people in costume.

I imagine there's going to be a lot of deleted scenes on this one, and it's very much my most anticipated movie of 09.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 05:21:18 PM »

They tried to make it in 1989, but it fell through. Alan Moore says he won't watch it ever.

BTM

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 05:29:50 PM »

I've read most of it... you see, I have issues like 2-10, and I picked up the HB at the store and glanced through the last two chapters.  Probably didn't pick everything I needed to understand the ending.

Still, what I read was a pretty enthralling story.

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 05:58:31 PM »

It's a fantastic read. Basically examines what if real life people, with real life flaws and issues, were indeed given extraordinary powers. How would they make use of said powers? Have to agree that it does seem unfilmable to me as well although I did mark out to the trailer which did look awesome in the aspect of actually seeing the characters come to life. "Who Watches the Watchmen"...also love the references to The Day the Earth Stood Still, This Island Earth and Things To Come (wasn't it?).

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 07:28:19 PM »

Sorry, I thought you asked who read THE WATCHTOWER.

I picked up a couple of issues of this from a free bin, and thought it was sad, funny and boring all at the same time.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Jim H

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 02:36:29 PM »

They tried to make it in 1989, but it fell through. Alan Moore says he won't watch it ever.

He's such a douche.  It's made up by him being a very good writer, but still.

Yeah, I enjoy the comic.  I do feel it gets a bit pretentious at times though, like almost everything Moore writes.  Still, very good writing and a great ending.
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 08:48:42 AM »

I read this years ago, but now that the hype about the movie is so big I'm finding all my friends borrowing it left n' right. It's cool, knowing what it's like and knowing that they have no idea what it's like, and then hearing their thoughts on it when they're finally done with it. I think the hardest part of the film version is gonna be the ending (ya know, the part about Ozymandias and the big... "thing"? ...to this day, I still think that's such a weird idea for an ending). There's some rumors going around that this has been replaced with something else (years upon years ago, one of the first attempts to adapt this sucker apparently replaced the original ending with a new one involving time travel and an assassination plot, which seems pretty anticlimactic to me), namely a machine capable of mimicking Dr. Manhattan's powers, but I have no idea how valid or invalid those rumors are. I did read in an interview with someone who saw the movie that, for the most part, the adaptation is a slavish recreation of the book, with only two small changes and one very big one (possibly the ending), but that overall it's very good. In the same interview (I can't recall who it was with, one of Zach Snyder's Hollywood friends or something, I'm sure) that person said that the Doctor Manhattan chapter of Watchmen is recreated pretty much note-for-note, word-for-word, moment-for-moment, so that sounds cool. I'm sure many comic fans feel the same way, but I gotta say this is one of my most anticipated mainstream releases for the next year. The first trailer they released, first time I saw it, was like a religious experience. I can't wait for this.

As far as Alan Moore being a douche... heh, I can't argue with that.

Yeah, he says he refuses to see the movie. He says that about every movie they make from his work. He always will say that. He's an amazing writer, though admittedly a bit pretentious (both in his own personality and in some of his work) as someone else mentioned. He just refuses to give anything a chance. Not even a chance. But whatever. As long as he keeps pumping out great stuff (like Black Dossier), I'll be happy.

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 07:18:04 PM »

What gets me is the amount if detail his books have.  Some folks ahave annotated them, take a look at this:
http://www.enjolrasworld.com/Annotations/Alan%20Moore/Watchmen/watchmen%20index.htm

And go page by page to see what you have missed.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 08:14:04 AM »

You ever see Alan Moore's script pages for Watchmen? Loooooong. The entire first page is literally packed with text and it goes on to describe, in EXTREME detail, the first panel of the book. Not the first page. Not the first couple of panels. The very first panel. For those of you who don't know, the first panel is roughly 1 inch by 2 inches, and is a shot of a street gutter, with a little blood in it and a smiley face button. That's it. That is all. He describes this shot, this close-up of a gutter and a button, for an ENTIRE page. It's nuts! Excessive, yes. Exacting, yes. But, also, somehow endearing (to me, anyway).

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 06:03:04 PM »

I just thought of something...it seems to me, that the Pixar movie, THE INCREDIBLES, borrowed quite a bit from Watchmen. 

Think about it...Superheroes are banned by the government, just like in Watchmen. Mr. Incredible and Elastigirl are very similar to the Silk Spectre and Nite Owl II character arcs.  Syndrome's plot to "save" the world, and his wealth, is also similar to that of Ozymandias.   

There's really no one to compare with Rorschach and Dr. Manhattan, but then again, those characters don't really fit in a Disney film. 
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 04:45:17 PM »

Ive read it twice. I dig it, a little confusing at times though. I dont think it will work as a movie, but ill go see it anyway. And you KNOW im gonna go wearing my Rorchach costume!

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 12:50:32 AM »

(Okay. Keep cool, try and describe Watchmen without coming off hyperbolic.)

Watchmen is a shining achievement in what comics are capable of. Not only it is a rip-roaring and surprising story, it demonstrates the ability of words and images to work together in ways that comics today are still catching up to, two decades later. The story works on its surface level, has even deeper meanings on a metaphorical level, and is jaw-dropping on its technical level. If you want a perfect comic, this is as damn close as they come.

(There. I think that went well.)

Seriously, I love this comic, and have read it multiple times in multiple formats (thank you Absolute Watchmen) and with annotations. I'm still catching things. I remember a friend giving this to me back when I was in middle school, and the ending is still one of the most surprising things I have ever read.

"I'm not a Republic serial villain..."

If you like comics at all, you owe it to yourself to read it. I would still say that From Hell is Alan Moore's best work, but the target audience for that is next to nil.

Alan Moore is...interesting. What can you say about a man who is an active and practicing magician (whatever that may mean...Promethea)? He is an alarmingly intelligent individual, and still one hell of a writer. I can forgive his disdain of movie adaptations because he is so dedicated to comics as a medium of themselves. It's wearying listening to current creators prostrating themselves to the idea of movie adaptations, Wizard Magazine being the worst representation of this trend. Don't get me wrong, I like comic movies, but they aren't the be-all-end-all validation of comic books (although the money is good).

I don't have high hopes for the movie. I think it will look pretty, but it won't capture the entirety of the comic by a long shot. For instance, the Wachowski's adaptation of V for Vendetta was entertaining, but critically flawed in many ways. If the Watchmen movie is at least that good, I'll probably enjoy it. What the hell, it's only a movie adaptation, which are historically worse than the original.

So yeah, read the comic. Put it down, come back to it a few months later and read it again. It is a seminal work.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
dean

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 06:41:23 AM »

You know, all things considered, V for Vendetta is a pretty good adaptation: I enjoyed it a hell of a lot, and it got most of the bits in the comic that I liked [though the end was a bit meh in the movie].

I've heard vague rumours about changing endings in Watchmen the movie, so that'll be interesting.

Mofo, how's the Absolute Watchmen?  Other than great of course!  What does it give you other than a massive awesome looking book version? [I see it everynow and then, and think about picking it up, but it's always sealed and I can't get a look at what's in it]

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Jim H

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 12:32:41 PM »

You know, all things considered, V for Vendetta is a pretty good adaptation: I enjoyed it a hell of a lot, and it got most of the bits in the comic that I liked [though the end was a bit meh in the movie].

I've heard vague rumours about changing endings in Watchmen the movie, so that'll be interesting.

Mofo, how's the Absolute Watchmen?  Other than great of course!  What does it give you other than a massive awesome looking book version? [I see it everynow and then, and think about picking it up, but it's always sealed and I can't get a look at what's in it]

SPOILERS for the ending of Watchmen the movie and the comic!!!

The basic themes and disastrous deaths at the end are the same, from what they've implied, but the giant squid monster thingy isn't there.  They said it just wouldn't play right in a film.  Other than that, it ends basically the same, including the Rorchach's novel being handed in.

**END**
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Who Here has Read WATCHMEN? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.