Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:30:46 AM
713337 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Does God Exist? « previous next »
Poll
Question: Does God exist?
Absolutely - 7 (25%)
Absolutely not - 9 (32.1%)
Perhaps so - 6 (21.4%)
Perhaps not - 3 (10.7%)
This is asinine - 3 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 26

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Author Topic: Does God Exist?  (Read 36667 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« on: November 06, 2008, 12:50:11 PM »

The question eternal and the question asked eternally.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 01:01:59 PM »

I have no belief that there is a god, science continues to disprove religion. Religion now is for those who want something to cling to for hope or forgiveness. I believe in evolution not creationsim. When you look back, the things in life that people could not explain, were attributed to god or worst case scenario for some, witchcraft. As time has gone on and technology and science has improved, the days of almighty god and fire & brimstone bullballs are dying out.

Hey, if I'm wrong then I'm going to Hell.  TeddyR I look forward to many a poker night with Satan, listening to Slayer.  BounceGiggle

Metropolisforever
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 01:17:11 PM »

God is something created by man to help him feel better.  When man feels all alone, and/or is going through a rough time in his/her life, a personal "God" may make them feel better.  Of course, this inevitably leads to many problems, when people try to force their "God" on other people.

And I am not intending to be rude or insulting in any way.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 01:41:20 PM »

I had to put a vote in for "asinine." The question is pointless and divisive. It can't be answered in any objective sense, and I think we already have a pretty good idea who believes what on this board. Let's not go looking for trouble.

For the record, I can say without any doubt that DOG does exist. Here's proof.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 01:45:57 PM »

I used to believe that god exists.  I did for a quite a long while when I was younger.  Only with in the last few years have I questioned that if a god or gods exist at all.  But as Circus-Circus said, science is continuing to disprove religion and as result make me question that if a god exists as all.
ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 01:57:43 PM »

I tend to agree with Circus. There are SO many things that many years ago we thought were magic or something of the sort, that we now know are much simpler and explainable. Some societies thought BIRDS were magical, , nope, simple physics, that's all. Many Indians and other tribes thought certain plants allowed them to talk to god, we now call those "halucinogens", it is all in the user's brain. Electricity once was thought to be magical, now we know better. People use 'God' to explain everything they can't otherwise understand, but just because we can't understand it doesn't make it magic. My wife has no idea how the internal combustion engine works, but she doesn't think he car is magic, and I expect that someday everyone will feel the same about, for lack of a better term, life, the universe, and everything.

I've heard people say things like "If you've ever witnessed the birth of a child, you know that that beauty can only be the result of God". Sorry, I've seen it, , and it's pretty gross. Yes, when it's your OWN kid, it seems magical, , but no, it's not. Think about movies tha tdepict an Alien giving birth and how gross that is. Then think about an alien seeing a HUMAN birth, which would look to them equally disgusting. Would that STILL prove the existence of God? Think about that the next time you're high. .

As time goes on, we see less miracles, especially since methods of recording them have become commonplace. Many 'miracles' are explained, others, their surrounding story changes, sometime in defence of explanation.

One of the things that stick out in my mind is the interview of a death-row inmate: His claims were that a) Sin is sin, , murder no more so than any other. b) we have all sinned, therefore none of us are any better than him. c) He asked for forgivness, therefore he is going to heaven. d) because EVERYONE didn't 100% forgive him for murdering his victim, WE were going to hell. So, the murderer goes to Heaven, everyone else to hell. Yea, that's right and just.

As human beings, we are always striving to be smarter today than we were yesterday, and for tomorrow to be a better day than today. OK, that's understandable, but, religon as I see it was fabricated as a way to convince ourselves and others that this will always be true. It is not. Some people have a REALLY bad day, a day which is also their LAST day. Religon is a way of confirming to ourselves that here is always hope, someday we will know everything. Well, I'm not convinced there is. We live, we DIE, and there's NO hope of changing that. That's what makes life worth living is that there's a challenge in making a difference in your extremely finite lifespan. We are all going to die with a great many unanswered questions, and that's OK. Just recently a 50+ year old experiment to try and simulate what is thought to be a likely scenario that would create the basic building blocks of life here on earth (Amino acids), was found to be much more successful that was previously thought. I see people trying to discredit it through science, under then name of God. How convienent, just when we were supposed to ignore SCIENCE for FAITH, now we're supposed to embrace SCIENSE and twisted probability (I'm referring to the 'Ferrari arguement').

All in all, just do the right thing because it's the right thing to do. Remember that the better you make the world, the better of a world there will be for everyone else.

Personally, I think that the sceneario of their being a God is flawed based soley on the existence of man. Man has been the WORST thing for existence as I see it.

That's my $.02, take it for what it's worth.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Metropolisforever
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 01:58:35 PM »

I had to put a vote in for "asinine." The question is pointless and divisive. It can't be answered in any objective sense, and I think we already have a pretty good idea who believes what on this board. Let's not go looking for trouble.

For the record, I can say without any doubt that DOG does exist. Here's proof.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 02:24:41 PM »

I have some sympathy with AndyC's position, especially with respect to the existence of dog.

Just to muddy the waters, ER, I should point out that you haven't defined the term "God."  Theoretically, you could convince anyone of the existence of God by simply defining "God" as the cause or basic underlying nature of reality.  Einstein and Osama bin Laden both claimed to believe in God, but neither would accept the other's position because they don't call the same thing "God".

Since I assume you meant some being essentially like the Christian God, I voted "probably not."  I don't believe in a God that takes an active part in human affairs and intervenes in history, using the occasional miracle to selectively break the physical laws he created, just in order to impress us with his existence.  I also can't see any reason to believe in any sort of personal immortality, beyond wishful thinking. 

But I do see a logical need for a "first cause" or an "uncaused cause" for the universe to exist at all, and a mystery at the metaphysical basis of reality, much like Einstein did.  So, I could easily have voted "probably" or "absolutely" if I thought the term "God" had been defined that way.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 03:57:20 PM »

WARNING WARNING WARNING, EXPLICIT CONTENT... NSFW!  (you were warned)

Small | Large

George put into words most of my thoughts on religion...

I've seen things in my life that makes me wonder if some kind of force exists in the universe.  Certain things have happened in my life that make me wonder if it was meant to be that way for a reason. Then theres a side of me that makes me wonder if its just all timing and shear coincidence. 

I haven't figured that out for sure yet but I feel that the Bible is just a book of philosophy and history (some real, some horribly exaggerated).  Granted a lot of it is a good guide to being a good person.  That and it has some great lessons on life. However, to paraphrase George in the video above, so don't most fairy tails.  I find churches a waste of space that can be used for a much greater cause for the community.  That and the fact they live tax free...ok...I know George covered that so I'll spare you the tangent.  Wink  Most religion to me is a giant crutch for people to fall back on when things go apesh*t.  My philosophy though is if it works for you (depending on potential illegalities of your religion), go with it and keep it to yourself.  Hence why I'm probably not going to get into any flame wars if they come up here. 

So if this is based on a Christian God, I vote for "absolutely not".  Although I see Andy's point about this being "asinine" seeing "god" means different things to different people. 

Edit:  To add to AndyC's thoughts, here is a Mog
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 04:17:27 PM by The DarkSider » Logged

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 04:20:44 PM »

Reminds of some funny points Bill Hicks made NSFW

Small | Large

akiratubo

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 04:41:16 PM »

Yep.  I believe so.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 04:43:58 PM by akiratubo » Logged

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 05:10:12 PM »

I feel that if there is not a literal God, there is at least some benevolent force in the universe that watches over us and deals out some form of karmal (is that right?) punishment.  I do feel that there is some form of afterlife, even if it's not the steryotypical heaven we have created for t.v.  Maybe I'm wrong and maybe I'm right, but as Slartibartfast said, "I'd rather be happy than right any day."

Plus, if I am wrong and there is no God, what'll I care I'll be dead.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 07:45:12 PM »

Of course there is a God.  The complexity and wonder of the universe is too marvelous to be an accident.  And for all that Science has explained, there are many things that it cannot, still.  And many of the things we thought science had explained a hundred years ago have turned out to be dead wrong.  How many of the things in our textbooks today will people laugh at a century from now?

I believe in the God of the Bible with all my heart.  I believe He was incarnated in the person of Jesus of Nazareth nearly 2000 years ago, and that He still lives today.

I try not to browbeat people with my faith, but I make no secret of it either.  I would challenge those who summarily reject the notion of deity to read three books with an open mind and see what conclusions they lead you to. The first is the Gospel of John.  The second is Lee Strobel's powerful work, THE CASE FOR FAITH. If that one intrigues you, go on and read THE CASE FOR CHRIST by the same author. 

I do not believe in forcing anyone to my point of view, ever.  But neither do I believe that I must keep my mouth shut about my views just because some others don't share them.  The marketplace of ideas is free and open.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Nukie 2

I did it all for the...

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 10:16:09 PM »

I voted Assinine.
I don't see how god is relevent because I'm such a lowly being that's only capable of sin, and I can't knowingly communicate with God. I can never be devine, and any attempt would be wrong, because I'm human.

Religion was used to try to explain things; sometimes sill, governmental reasons like law and order, and still to comfort people when a loved ones dies. Religion and science are incompatible because their coming into being are thousands of years apart. We developed our scientific skills of investigation into a discipline later; that's why nothing in the Bible can be explained scientificly, but that doesn't mean God doesn't exist.

However, Nietzsche said that science just describes things better then religion, but doesn't explain them. This came from a man who said "God is Dead".

So I just find it totally useless to even try to contemplate God, and I find comfort in not screwing with people, because I will get screwed with back.

If I do go to hell, all the best revolutionaries will be there, and we will overthrow Satan and rule Hell!

Watch Nukie on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wab1Y713tN0
"Like" International Fans of the Movie Nukie and Sias Odendaal on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Fans-of-the-Movie-Nukie-and-Sias-Odendaal/135820159771783
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 10:26:00 PM »

The complexity and wonder of the universe is too marvelous to be an accident.

Not really, , The most marvelous thing man has ever seen is simply one end of the spectrum of things man has seen. There always has to me a 'most' and a 'least'. As for complexity goes, it sounds a bit arrogant to me to feel that just because man can't understand it, there must be something mythical behind it. Again, it's only one end of the spectrum.

And many of the things we thought science had explained a hundred years ago have turned out to be dead wrong

Like?

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Does God Exist? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.