Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:33:26 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Does God Exist? « previous next »
Poll
Question: Does God exist?
Absolutely - 7 (25%)
Absolutely not - 9 (32.1%)
Perhaps so - 6 (21.4%)
Perhaps not - 3 (10.7%)
This is asinine - 3 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 26

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Author Topic: Does God Exist?  (Read 36668 times)
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 10:31:08 PM »

Anatolian shepherds are beautiful dogs.

AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2008, 10:37:48 PM »

Somehow I figured that once the election was over and politics have immediately become a dead topic until the new guy takes the reins, religion was going to rear its head onto the board again... Haven't we all agreed already during the 30 or so other discussions on the topic that the faithful will remain faithful and the logical will remain logical? Is there really anything left on the topic left to be said that can't already be found by digging through the archives? Nobody's going to convince anybody to change their opinion on the matter. We might as well just record our positions on cassette tapes, put 'em on an infinite loop in a room full of reel-to-reels, and leave it at that. Unless you're talking about those goofy-ass Left Behind movies, religion and ethics have about as much place on a bad movie board as I have in a house of worship. Drink
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 10:40:53 PM by AnubisVonMojo » Logged

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2008, 11:03:35 PM »

Unless you're talking about those goofy-ass Left Behind movies, religion and ethics have about as much place on a bad movie board as I have in a house of worship. Drink

Think maybe that might be why it's in the off-topic board? 

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2008, 11:10:22 PM »

Unless you're talking about those goofy-ass Left Behind movies, religion and ethics have about as much place on a bad movie board as I have in a house of worship. Drink

Think maybe that might be why it's in the off-topic board? 

Oh yeah, good point. This is about as off-topic as you can get. I'll go back to staying away from it now.  Drink

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2008, 11:59:52 PM »

I figure that well find out soon enough, and might find out at any time.  So why sweat it? 
So I'll go the the playground wth my daughter. 
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2008, 02:16:43 AM »

Go buy Mark Parisi stuff, he's an extremely nice guy....

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2008, 08:28:28 AM »

I went with "perhaps not", only because you can't actually disprove the existence of god, and I was raised Catholic and I'll still say a little prayer if a family member is having health problems or something.  Hey, couldn't hurt.  But no, I don't believe in god.  Like others have said, it was a concept created by ancient people who had no knowledge of science.  Also, everyone fears death, and an afterlife is extremely comforting.  And people like to believe that there's some grand purpose to our existence.  It's a handy tool for politicians as well.  For instance, in ancient Egypt the Pharaoh had people lugging around huge rocks to build a tomb, in the desert heat for pete's sake, and many of them died.  Under normal circumstances, the people would have said that this is absurd, we could be tending our crops and raising our children, let's overthrow this idiot.  But of course, the Pharaoh was also a god, so if you went against him, you were damned in the afterlife, and maybe he would make your crops fail and perhaps the sun wouldn't rise any more. 

Basically, the concept of god makes no sense to me.  Why would a god need to be worshiped?  That seems extremely vain.  If he wants us to follow his commandments, why didn't he just make us incapable of disobeying them?  If he wants us to worship him, why give us no proof of his existence for 2,000 years?  It's like a huge sick game.  Little different than buying an ant farm and killing all the ants that walk to the left and rewarding all the ones who walk to the right with a nice piece of cake or something.  And what about all the other religions?  How does a person know they're following the correct one?  What if you're a good Catholic all your life, but it turns out the Lutherans were right?  Or maybe Zeus and Apollo are the ones who really hold all the power.

Having said that, I bear absolutely no ill will towards religious people.  In fact, I'm a bit jealous of this sense of inner comfort people find in their religious beliefs. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Pilgermann

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2008, 12:37:40 PM »

I feel that my religious convictions have waned a bit over the years, but I still believe in God.  Logically you can't prove or disprove God's existence, but the whole faith thing comes into play and I try to stick with it. 

Even if God isn't in the form of the Christian God, I still think that it's kind of foolish to deny some greater force behind everything, whether or not it's an omnipotent being, or some unconcious power or whatever.  Science can explain a great deal and it's an exciting thing, and rather than being disillusioned by any discoveries it makes life more exciting to me.   It's kind of like the work of an illusionist; I marvel at what my eyes may have just seen and am amazed by the trickery, but I'm also fascinated to learn the mechanics behind the trick.  Of course that sort of wonder is what's behind science in the first place, I would say.

Does anyone have any explanations for man's love of music?  I haven't really heard any yet.  To me there's nothing much more mystical than music that moves me in some emotional way..  It's fun to make noise in a primitive sense, but I find music to be more complex and elusive than making racket.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 12:37:28 AM by Pilgermann » Logged

schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2008, 02:29:47 PM »

I have some sympathy with AndyC's position, especially with respect to the existence of dog.

I believe in Big Dog. I'm not yet convinced of the existence of Chihuahua.

Just to muddy the waters, ER, I should point out that you haven't defined the term "God."  Theoretically, you could convince anyone of the existence of God by simply defining "God" as the cause or basic underlying nature of reality.  Einstein and Osama bin Laden both claimed to believe in God, but neither would accept the other's position because they don't call the same thing "God".

Bingo. Exactly what was in my mind as I read this thread. I voted "probably yes" but thought "though we haven't defined the term". Similarly, I call myself a Christian but when explaining my philosophy to somebody in another forum, I was told that basically I was espousing agnosticism. I would probably have been burned at the stake for my "Christian" beliefs not too long ago. Afterlife? Dunno. Can't know. Not important to know. Divinity of Christ? Dunno. Can't know. Probably not. Not important. Historical accuracy of the biographical details of Jesus in the Bible? Dunno. Not important.

Much to my amusement, I got into an argument online with some guy who admitted that he was not a Christian and didn't know much about Christian theology, but nevertheless insisted that I was not a good Christian.

Since I assume you meant some being essentially like the Christian God,

If even that can be defined. I find it patently obvious that the "Jewish God", the "Christian God" and the "Moslem God" are equivalent, and can't understand people in one camp who want to hate those in another on the basis of "Yes, I believe in a single all-powerful Creator, but I hate those people because *they* believe in a single all-powerful Creator, the heathen!"

I voted "probably not."  I don't believe in a God that takes an active part in human affairs and intervenes in history, using the occasional miracle to selectively break the physical laws he created, just in order to impress us with his existence.

I think I'd agree with you there. But I'd also say that I believe there's something more around here than what we perceive in our day-to-day existence. Might be "God". Might be "angels". Might be "invisible aliens from Planet Nine". Might be "normally untapped areas of human consciousness". Might be "my delusions". Dunno. Can't know. Not important to know.

I summarize this aspect of my beliefs as "prayer works".

But my definition of "prayer" might not be yours.

Ditto with my definition of "works".

Raffine

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2008, 02:36:51 PM »

Gog exists, and he's in Glorious Eastman Color.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2008, 04:14:24 PM »

Gog exists, and he's in Glorious Eastman Color.

I believe in G.O.D. Sometimes two of them.

ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2008, 04:17:16 PM »

I once knew of a Hindu family who had its OWN personal Hindu god who belonged just to them and them alone. I guess if your religion has 330,000,000 divine beings and there are only 200,000,000 Hindu families on planet earth, there are spare gods to go around!

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2008, 04:18:57 PM »

I worship Don Johnson  TongueOut

No, seriously...

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2008, 04:21:31 PM »

Yes.

1.  God is perfection

2.  in order for something to be perfect,  it must exist.  you couldn't say something is perfct if itn't not there to be perfct.

3. therefore, because god is perfect, god MUST exist.

Saint something or other figured this out in like 800 ad
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2008, 04:28:21 PM »

you couldn't say something is perfct if itn't not there to be perfct.

And I don't. . .  Lookingup

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Does God Exist? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.