Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:11:11 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Does God Exist? « previous next »
Poll
Question: Does God exist?
Absolutely - 7 (25%)
Absolutely not - 9 (32.1%)
Perhaps so - 6 (21.4%)
Perhaps not - 3 (10.7%)
This is asinine - 3 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 26

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Author Topic: Does God Exist?  (Read 36666 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2008, 02:36:57 PM »

As for discrediting people, I have a hard time believeing that. I've heard too many discussions about religeon that turn to "Why are you so mad" for no real reason just like you did, or "So tell me why you hate Jesus" for no apparent reason. The only explanation I have come up with is that it is a ploy to discredit. Accuse a person of being mad, associate that with defensiveness, and parlay that into insecurity. It's a simple tactic of diversion, just the same as labeling someone as evil and hate-filled by posing their non-belief as hatred

??  so because you are paranoid you have the right to be rude to me?

Assigning the quality of "perfect" to something, real or not, does not prove it's existence.

yes it does.  because it couldn't be perfect if it didn't exist.

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2008, 02:57:02 PM »

??  so because you are paranoid you have the right to be rude to me?

He's not being paranoid and he's not insulting you at all.

Assigning the quality of "perfect" to something, real or not, does not prove it's existence.

Again, like I said before, you can apply that comment to anything you want. It still doesn't mean anything and is somewhat generic.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 03:05:21 PM by Circus_Circus » Logged

ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2008, 03:01:30 PM »

I'm not paranoid, but again, you try and discredit me. I wasn't rude, please point out where I was. More skirting the issue.

Uh, NO, it doesn't. Circular argement all over, still failing to impress me as much as you are failing to understand. If I say "The giant amoeba in your underwear is perfect", does that automatically mean there is a giant amoeba in your underwear? Apparently so, by your own claims. You are hung up on the idea that to be perfect, something has to exist. I get it as does pretty much everybody else. The part that I disagree with it your idea that if a person mrerly proclaims SOMETHING to be perfect, that it automatically must exist. I'm not sure how anyone can not see the logical flaw in that. Check your underwear, is there a giant amoeba in them?

I've talked to a few combat veterans before, that's what basically all of them seem to say.

Well then your experience differes from mine, and my experience involves the people AND  the foxhole simultaniously. There is no doubt that people's faiths become more apparent in times of need, but the idea that all Athiests suddenly decide people of faith are right at the first sign of danger is wrong, and an arguement can be made for it being downright insulting.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 03:12:58 PM by ghouck » Logged

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2008, 03:11:13 PM »

I'm not trying to discredit anything in any age old fashion.  I'm just trying to participate in a thread.  it's light entertainment.

and I didn't decide that god was perfect.  I'm saying that God is by definition perfect.  that's the difference between god and man in the dictionary.  man makes mistake, god doesn't. 

The traditional arguments for God's existence, from Aquinas on, are easily demolished. Several of them, such as the First Cause argument, work by setting up an infinite regress which God is wheeled out to terminate. But we are never told why God is magically able to terminate regresses while needing no explanation himself. It's just circular contradiction, a man-made fail-safe, impossible arguement is therefore created. Well done.  Smile

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2008, 03:18:16 PM »

He's not being paranoid and he's not insulting you at all.

yes he did he said

I've heard too many discussions about religeon that turn to "Why are you so mad" for no real reason just like you did, "

he's accusing me of being some sort of religious person who attacks people with questions like "why are you so mad".  when in fact I just wanted to know why he was so mad.  this isn't the spanish inquisition, it's a board on the internet

So tell me why you hate Jesus" for no apparent reason. The only explanation I have come up with is that it is a ploy to discredit. Accuse a person of being mad, associate that with defensiveness, and parlay that into insecurity."

he's saying Im' using a ploy.  he is paranoid

"
It's a simple tactic of diversion, just the same as labeling someone as evil and hate-filled by posing their non-belief as hatred"

here he's saying Im using a tactic of diversion.  further showing that he is

1. rude to me and

2. paranoid

the whole thing Implies I am dishonest for simply ecpressing part of an interesting theory,  one that has riled him up over several pages enough to have touched a nerve.  which is interesting by defination!  but not perfect, only God is perfect therefore he must exist

"The giant amoeba in your underwear is perfect", does that automatically mean there is a giant amoeba in your underwear?

no.  but I didn't say where god was just that he is
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 03:20:42 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2008, 03:20:04 PM »

Because the theory is stupid  Wink

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2008, 03:21:55 PM »

well then what does it say about yuo that you can't explain why it's stupid,  just insult the person who suggested it?  nothing good
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2008, 03:23:01 PM »

How is that an insult to you? Do you know what insult means?

Menard
« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2008, 03:23:43 PM »

Quite frankly, all I am seeing in this conversation is a lot of metaphor, but nobody has defined the value of 'x'.

If anybody thinks I'm being rude...

...yeah...you're right...

...f**k that

TongueOut
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2008, 03:26:23 PM »

saying my post is stupid isn't an insult?  okay,  yuo are stupid!!  Cheers
Menard
« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2008, 03:26:43 PM »

How is that an insult to you? Do you know what insult means?

Here's how:

Because both of those replies looked like an insult to me.

You may not have intended it as an insult, or maybe you did (I don't know), but it came off as one...er...scuse me...two.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2008, 03:27:11 PM »

well then what does it say about yuo that you can't explain why it's stupid,  just insult the person who suggested it?  nothing good

Both myself and Ghouck have explained ourselves and expressed our opinions that, that "theory" does not make sense.

I knew this thread would degenerate, once again religion does the only thing it truly can....cause conflict.

ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #87 on: November 10, 2008, 03:28:30 PM »

I've heard too many discussions about religeon that turn to "Why are you so mad" for no real reason just like you did, "

he's accusing me of being some sort of religious person who attacks people with questions like "why are you so mad".  when in fact I just wanted to know why he was so mad.  this isn't the spanish inquisition, it's a board on the internet

No, that's stating a fact. I have heard too many discussions that turn to that. You take insult in my stating of facts, so be it, it's out of my hands as far as I'm concerned.

So tell me why you hate Jesus" for no apparent reason. The only explanation I have come up with is that it is a ploy to discredit. Accuse a person of being mad, associate that with defensiveness, and parlay that into insecurity."

he's saying Im' using a ploy.  he is paranoid

No, I was stating that I've not yet been approached with a viable explanation, and that one was the only one I have. I am not paranoid, you are.

the whole thing Implies I am dishonest for simply ecpressing part of an interesting theory,  one that has riled him up over several pages enough to have touched a nerve.

You give yourself far too much credit. I've found much of what you have posted laughable, but feel free to take THAT as an insult also, it's easier that way.

no.  but I didn't say where god was just that he is

So that's a NO nonetheless. . .

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2008, 03:29:38 PM »

that was a stupid response  Thumbup

^not an insult according to cc
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #89 on: November 10, 2008, 03:30:26 PM »

saying my post is stupid isn't an insult?  okay,  yuo are stupid!!  Cheers

You said you were posting a theory, not your own, but one you agree with. I said the theory is stupid. I didn't say you are stupid.

You called me stupid, so now you are insulting me. That's the difference.

Oh and by the way you is spelt Y-O-U.  Not Y-U-O. Now I'm insulting you  Smile

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Does God Exist? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.