Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:30:44 AM
713382 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Sci-Fi Channel series: SANCTUARY « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sci-Fi Channel series: SANCTUARY  (Read 4283 times)
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« on: November 08, 2008, 05:02:07 PM »

Has anyone watched this?

Up until last night's episode I was okay with it's meh-ness, figuring once they got going it'd get better.  Law of averages and all that.  Besides it's far better than Stargate: Atlantis.  But last night's episode, called NUBBINS, was such a shameless rip-off of ST:TOS TRIBBLES that I couldn't even ignore Amanda Tapping's horrible penchant for sliding into and out of her faux British accent.

What is it about the Sci-Fi channel?  Everything they get involved with seems to turn into crap.  Eureka was the one exception.  It was good.  Then the second season started and it was like the executives realized during the hiatus they had accidentally allowed something good on their network and they took a great big juicy dump on it.

WTF?

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 01:01:05 PM »

Has anyone watched this?

Up until last night's episode I was okay with it's meh-ness, figuring once they got going it'd get better.  Law of averages and all that.  Besides it's far better than Stargate: Atlantis.  But last night's episode, called NUBBINS, was such a shameless rip-off of ST:TOS TRIBBLES that I couldn't even ignore Amanda Tapping's horrible penchant for sliding into and out of her faux British accent.

What is it about the Sci-Fi channel?  Everything they get involved with seems to turn into crap.  Eureka was the one exception.  It was good.  Then the second season started and it was like the executives realized during the hiatus they had accidentally allowed something good on their network and they took a great big juicy dump on it.

WTF?

The couple episodes I saw I actually liked.  This show is based off of a web-series, that the channel decided to bring to tv.  But I have to say the whole MIB/secert organization devoted to keeping people in the dark about monsters or aliens is getting old. 

As for the Sci-fi channel, they've had some decent shows.  Farescape was really good-(although I'm not sure if that was a Sci-Fi productions,or just one they picked up from somewhere else.)  Not ofr everyone; and Heaven help you if you miss an episode or you'd be lost.  The Stargate shows started off strong.   I will admit they've declined in quality-but that I think was more due to the fact that the shows have been on for a long time.  I also remember  Sci Fi Buzz and the Anti-Gravity Room. Those were fun and I wish they'd bring something like them back.

The Sci-fi movies are usually crap, but many are fun b-movie slock.  I also like the mini-series Tin Man a lot more than I thought I would.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 01:29:29 PM »

The couple episodes I saw I actually liked.  This show is based off of a web-series, that the channel decided to bring to tv.

I did not know that.  Explains a lot.

But I have to say the whole MIB/secert organization devoted to keeping people in the dark about monsters or aliens is getting old. 

And they don't even do it well.  SPECIAL UNIT 2 at least did this with tongue planted firmly in cheek and made it fun, not to mention they had a far better name for the creatures.  LINKS sounds mysterious.  ABNORMALS sounds, well, ugly and derogatory.

As for the Sci-fi channel, they've had some decent shows.  Farescape was really good-(although I'm not sure if that was a Sci-Fi productions,or just one they picked up from somewhere else.)

I think it was a pick-up, like LEXX.  Then again most of what Sci-Fi airs are pick-ups. The really popular series like SLIDERS and STARGATE SG-1 were pick-ups from other networks.  In the case of STARGATE it shifted over to Sci-Fi when Showtime dropped it's Sci-Friday line-up to air programming targeted at a gay and lesbian demographic.

I also remember  Sci Fi Buzz and the Anti-Gravity Room. Those were fun and I wish they'd bring something like them back.

I think I caught exactly one of those when I first got satellite, which we got solely for the Sci-Fi channel as it wasn't carried by any local cable providers.  Alas the network has really gone downhill since then.  They used to have regularly scheduled programming, now it's just filler with mini-marathons of random episodes from the same handful of series.

The Sci-fi movies are usually crap, but many are fun b-movie slock.  I also like the mini-series Tin Man a lot more than I thought I would.

Funny how 99.999% of sciffy "original movies" are always craptacular yet their mini-series manage to almost be not entirely crap.  Even the movies they pick-up as "sci-fi premieres" tend to be pretty bad, and usually not sci-fi but horror.

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 08:47:29 AM »

That show looked pretty interesting from the commercials, but I'm afraid I never got around to watching it.  Maybe it's just too much experience with past Sci-Fi shows.  I get the feeling that if I miss the first episode, I'll probably be lost.  I did watch a bit of that Nubbins episode.  I dunno, looked pretty darned silly.  Can't get over Amanda Tapping with that fake British accent.  It's kind of cool, but she's probably the biggest star that Sci-Fi's got, and we all know perfectly well she's not British. 

Looks like they're trotting out a couple more reality shows, man vs. mansion and some great race ripoff, but stupider.  Egads.  Anything for the possibility of ratings I guess.  I have a real hard time watching their shows - between all the commercials and the fact that their "season" seems to consist of 4 new episodes, then they go on a break and I quit watching, then a year later apparently there's a bunch of new episodes I missed...whatever. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Sci-Fi Channel series: SANCTUARY « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.