Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:29:50 AM
713331 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Worst Unhappy/Downer Endings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: Worst Unhappy/Downer Endings  (Read 32885 times)
bladerunnerblues
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2009, 03:02:16 AM »

EMBRYO starring Rock Hudson and Babra Carrera,for reasons I have already mentioned in this forum.
THEY had a depressinge ending simply because the movie didn't start to become interesting til a minute or so before the end credits started.
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2009, 01:10:23 AM »

I'm surprised no one mentioned Old Yeller.
I remember crying my eyes out when I watched it as a kid.

I just watched Conan the Barbarian and it has somewhat of a down ending.
He finally gets revenge on Thulsa Doom...but it was a Pyrrhic victory.
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2009, 05:15:16 PM »

Godzilla 1984. I cried more for that monster than I have for any Disney movie since.

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2009, 06:33:50 PM »

The ending of The Invasion.

That gave me a downer. What a load of...

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Raffine

« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2009, 07:25:23 PM »

ALIENS 3 - An extremely bleak film ending with one of filmdom's most beloved characters killing herself as a monster bursts out of her chest.  Not exactly a fun time out at the movies.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Doggett

« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2009, 07:29:34 PM »

ALIEN 3 - An extremely bleak film ending with one of filmdom's most beloved characters killing herself as a monster bursts out of her chest.  Not exactly a fun time out at the movies.

I love that ending. I thought it was perfect.
Not many characters get that sort of dramatic ending.

Only to be ruined by Alien Resurrection.

Raffine

« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2009, 12:01:22 AM »

ALIEN 3 - An extremely bleak film ending with one of filmdom's most beloved characters killing herself as a monster bursts out of her chest.  Not exactly a fun time out at the movies.

I remember it being almost universally panned originally, but it does have a big fanbase now, particularly with the recut version (which I admit I've not seen).

I dunno. It was just to unrelentingly bleak and depressing for me.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Doggett

« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2009, 10:43:27 AM »

I remember it being almost universally panned originally, but it does have a big fanbase now, particularly with the recut version (which I admit I've not seen).

I dunno. It was just to unrelentingly bleak and depressing for me.

That's what makes it soo good. Her final act is to take the last alien out with her. Only to be ruined when they brought her clone back FOR THE SEQUEL!!!!. And how did the clone have alien DNA ?

Doggett

« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2009, 03:01:16 PM »

Any film where Adam Sandler lives at the end is a bit of a downer... Wink

BTM

« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2009, 10:16:58 PM »

I hated the ending to the film Fallen.  To me, the whole film was what I call an "Ant vs Sledgehammer" story.  That is, where the antagonists is so powerful, the hero of the film was virtually no chance of defeating it, but just scurries around, not realizing they're facing a hammer before it squashes them in the climax of the film. 

Unlike a tragedy, where the main character is brought down by a fatal flaw they possession the "AvS" films are pretty much just the protagonist being overwhelmed.  To me, it just kind of makes the whole story pointless there was pretty much no way of them winning to begin with.

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Joe
Bad Movie Lover

What are you afraid of? It's only rock n' roll.

« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2009, 11:18:30 PM »

uhg........Requiem For a Dream. i hate that movie, i LOVE the cinematography but i refuse to watch it again. that movie not only makes me feel like garbage but it also makes me feel dirty like i need to take a shower.
Jim H

« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2009, 01:38:02 AM »

Rabbit Proof Fence-
this movie depressed me for days after watching it and from time to time I still think of the troubles endured by those envolved. The fact that it is based on a true story makes it even more depressing. At the end of the movie it goes on to tell how she was seperated from her children and the cycle started all over.
It's amazing how government can step in to 'help' only to tear apart families and create indentured servants.

Probably the worst part about that story is how long it went on - into the 1970s as I recall.  It's an impressive feat for a government to treat its aboriginals worse than the US government did, but the Australian government managed it.

Anyway, I was bothered by the ending of The Departed. I'm actually an ardent lover of Scorsese (Taxi Driver is one of my favorite films of all time), and, like I said, I normally like downbeat endings. But this one felt, again, forced. It seemed awkward, rushed, and muddled to me. To me, it seemed like a lazy way to end the story, and kind of a "f**k you" to the audience.

I agree.  The ending to Infernal Affairs, what the Departed is based on (actually, it takes elements from all three films in the trilogy), has a much better ending.

Spoiler for it below
Basically, there is no Mark Wahlberg character.  So the undercover criminal is sad about what happens, but simply gets away with it and is a cop at the end.  It's certainly not a happy ending, either, especially not as the undercover cop is an even sadder character in the original film.

I might add I think Infernal Affairs is a better film on just about any level you can name.  It's excellent.

I was going to mention Fallen, but BTM beat me.  So I can only agree.  Stupid ending.  It might have been OK if luck wasn't what made the sledgehammer finally fall.

I hate most of the twist endings horror films have now.  For example, the Friday the 13th ending. 

I feel it is more of a twist when they DON'T have a twist now. 
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2009, 02:11:05 AM »

Godzilla 1984. I cried more for that monster than I have for any Disney movie since.

God, same here.  I remember seeing that in theaters when I was about four or five, and I bawled like a baby. 
BTM

« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2009, 07:19:12 PM »

I was going to mention Fallen, but BTM beat me.  So I can only agree.  Stupid ending.  It might have been OK if luck wasn't what made the sledgehammer finally fall.

Plus, to me, they kind of telegraphed the ending with a scene earlier.  When the good guys plan was revealed I thought, "Wait a sec, what if there's a nearby... oh, there it is."

Course, that wasn't the only flaw in the film, it had a decent premise, but there's just too much that went wrong to save it. 

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Hollis
Dedicated Viewer

The millionaires have unleashed themselves!

« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2009, 06:30:44 PM »

"Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog", yeah, I count it as a movie... I hate Joss Whedon, he's just a twisted s.o.b., always killing people off.

"Repo!"... I'm just bawling at end of it. It's really easy to get me down, though. I can't stand to watch movies where bad things happen. Heck, even "Deck the Halls" gets me down... all those bad things happen to the one dude.... what a bummer.

Oh, I think someone already mentioned it, but I should mention the Departed as well. It's like they couldn't come up with an ending...

"If you break it down, movie magic is just a bunch of people moving s**t."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Worst Unhappy/Downer Endings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.