Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:34:55 PM
713372 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Gloomy Question For Veterans' Day « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gloomy Question For Veterans' Day  (Read 2289 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« on: November 11, 2008, 01:12:24 PM »

Lately I've found that my mind has been very focused on the future and those who will live in it.

We dwell in an unstable world. I know most times in history can have that said of them but it seems things are more terrifyingly tense than they've been in a very long time, with international alliances and outlooks shifting, nuclear proliferation, true hatred rising across the globe, the rattling of sabers and the rhetoric of coming conflict... For anyone who feels like making a reply to so bleak a question, how likely do you think it is that in about the next ten years our nation will face the equivalent of another world war? If war arises, where will it begin, or be fought, who will be involved, and what will the outcome be?

If no one here feels like going after this topic, which I know is out of place, believe me, I don't blame you. But as I said, the future and the likelihood of catastrophic war has lately been in my thoughts.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 01:55:11 PM »

I think we also exaggerate the tensions of our own times.  Going by history, I'd rate the likelihood of a cataclysmic global confilict as low.  The outlook for rattling sabres and brush wars is the same as it always is, 100%. 

On the other hand, he should always heed Criswell's wise warning: "Future events like these will affect you in the future".

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 02:30:59 PM »

Gotta agree with Rev, the Guv'ment and the media just have reporting that stuff down to an ever-evolving science. Personally, I think a big part of what we see is because peace is coming, and there are those that don't want to make the compromises involved. A while back I read someone's theory of why 9/11 and other acts of terrorism happened, and it made a bit of sense. Obviously this isn't verbatim, but the idea was that the more radical (ie: inclined to perform terrorist acts) sects of the middle east was HIGHLY concerned that their youth were steering away from their radical roots and more towards a more modern life. They wanted internet, social events, to choose their own partners in marriage, movies, music, clothes, etc, etc. . The older parts of their society saw this as a threat, and saw the modern world as the source. Of course with the war we are in, we set them back by showing them how evil the modern world is (from their point of view of course), but it will all happen again sometime. Anyways, obviously this is a summary, ,, or even a summary of a summary, but it made sense. It spoke of how they had an ever-increasing problem with drinking by kids and young adults (estimated an 85% of people under 20 having drank more times than they could count), which nearly completely cleared up once W's war started. It seemed that for SOME reason their youth decided to go back to the fundamental ways of their society of old. It even went as far as to say some kids were mad about 9/11 and a few other terrorist acts, and said it further widened their "generation gap".

My point is that I believe that at some point in time the parts of the world that have yet to integrate into modern society are going to make a leap, and I believe that leap is soon (a matter of decades, but in the grand scale of things, that is soon). With that leap, many of the things that come between 'us' and 'them' will go away. Sure, we're just aiming toward doing the same thing all over again at a higher level technologically, but that's what we call life.

Kind of a "It's always stormiest before the calm" outlook on it.

Take it for what it's worth.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Metropolisforever
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 04:15:29 PM »

Rumors have persisted that Bush plans to bomb Iran at the very end of his presidency.

The government has denied that they plan to bomb Iran... but they also denied that they would invade Iraq.

Guess what?  They DID invade Iraq, and it's very likely that Bush may attack Iran, just before Obama becomes president.

I have a strong feeling that a nuclear war may start with Iran.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 06:02:27 PM »

I don't think he'll be able to pull that off, Congress won't let him. He got one over on them, they'll be much more careful, especially if the stakes are raised to the level you speak of.
And, IIRC, the claim that we would invade Iraq was in reference to 9/11. We didn't invade Iraq because of 9/11, we invaded it for completely different reasons.

Also, once W is out, I believe much of this crap will calm down. HE is the one making many people outside the US nervous, once he's gone there will be at least SOME relief.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 06:24:36 PM »

Also, once W is out, I believe much of this crap will calm down. HE is the one making many people outside the US nervous, once he's gone there will be at least SOME relief.

True, but on the other hand I wouldn't be at all surprised to see guys like Putin, Kim Jong Il and the Iranian guy (don't ask me to spell his name) immediately try to test Obama to see how much they can get away with, now that we have a more dove-ish president.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 07:39:58 PM »

True, but he can stand up to them without going all Rambo on them. That is one of Ws problems: He has no "Flash to Bang". He seemed to START talks by deploying the military.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Gloomy Question For Veterans' Day « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.