Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:01:10 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Coming Soon A Movie Based On The Book of Mormon? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Coming Soon A Movie Based On The Book of Mormon?  (Read 3526 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« on: November 12, 2008, 10:47:32 AM »

I'm not sure where to post this but I was told by a door to door Mormon missionary and his co-evangelist that plans are underway to make a multi-part epic motion picture out of The Book of Mormon, all funded by private donations and LDS. Could be good, I dinno.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 01:42:43 PM »

The news was a little late, I guess.

The Book of Mormon Movie, Volume 1: The Journey (2003)

From "Variety's" review: "Film also suffers from sets and costumes that look like they were imported from a nearby renaissance fair and well-meaning, but generally ham-fisted, stiff performances from its sprawling ensemble cast."

The Book of Mormon Movie, Volume II: Zarahemla (2008 - in production)

Don't think I'll be seeking these out.  Sounds just plain bad and amateurish rather than entertainingly bad. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
peter johnson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 01:57:29 PM »

Channel 59 here in Colorado plays some of the most entertaingly bad Bible epics you could ever hope for!  They ran one last month with John Voight(!!) as Noah, with Lot as his living cousin -- never mind that Lot perished hundreds of years later and wasn't on the Ark!!  Ahhh, Bible cheese . . .
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 02:59:17 PM »

The movie's already OUT? Jeez, if the missionary couldn't even get his facts straight about a movie release, how can I take his word for the fact that through his religion I can one day have my very own planet to rule?

peter johnson

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 01:06:27 PM »

Hey!  I just noticed your Avatar -- Kaspar David Freidrich!!  How very cool -- I've seen some of his originals in Munchen -- Pity he wasn't around to do science-fiction illustrations . . .
peter johnson/denny crane

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 06:24:40 PM »

I wonder if there will be a volume III. This may be the first series of films to deal with the Book of Mormon, but it is not the first film to deal with the Mormon Church. In 1940, a big budget version of "Brigham Young" w/ Dean Jagger as Brigham Young was released by 20th Century Fox. Besides Jagger as Brigham Young, the film starred Vincent Price as Joseph Smith and Stanley Andrews as Hyrum Smith.

Of course, this being a Hollywood production, the focus of the film was not on any of these characters but on the romance between outsider Linda Darnell and Tyrone Power.

Some of the other actors appearing in the film were Brian Donlevy, Jane Darwell, John Carradine, and Mary Astor.

Enjoy!

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 10:05:51 AM »

You guys ever actually read The Book of Mormon? It seems (over the top enough) to have the makings of a decent movie of the old costume epic sort. If it was funded right and used massive sets and fake beards, had pronouncements in booming voices, campy dialogue, it could be so bad it's good. Has some potentially impressive battle scenes, anyway.

peter johnson

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 02:06:40 PM »

I started to flip through it once, but never actually read the whole thing --

Ever read Mark Twain's essay, "The Awful Book of Mormon"?  He did read the whole thing and eviscerates it quite savagely.  If you think you'd enjoy reading a 100% insulting flame of something, seek this out!  He doesn't even pretend to be fair, just rams it with everything he's got, which in Twain's case is really substantial --

peter johnson/denny glad I never got on Twain's bad side . . .

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Coming Soon A Movie Based On The Book of Mormon? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.