Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:14:53 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Favorite Movie Sea Battles « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Favorite Movie Sea Battles  (Read 3984 times)
Ryantherebel
Dedicated Viewer

« on: November 12, 2008, 05:04:56 PM »

Name says it all. What are your favorite cinema sea battles?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 08:49:36 PM by Ryantherebel » Logged
GoHawks
Bad Movie Lover

Happiness is a dancing beagle.

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 07:39:17 PM »

Off the top of my head, the movie featuring my favorite sea battle scene(s) is Midway (1976).

My favorite movie about a sea battle would be The Enemy Below (1957).

Some honorable mentions include (but are not limited to):

Run Silent Run Deep (1958)
Away All Boats (1956)
Ben Hur (1959)
The Sea Hawk (1940)

"Please do not offer my god a peanut."  -  Apu
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 07:40:29 AM »

Jaws [1975]: The last hour of the film, where Brody, Quint & Hooper try to kill the shark. The shark takes down the barrels, cracks a hole in the boat, destroys Hooper's cage and eats Quint. It's the best part of the film hands down, with the three men bonding with each other to try to capture the monster fish. In the end, Brody finishes the job just before the boat completely sinks, shooting a gas canister in the shark's mouth, blowing it to pieces. Awesome.  TeddyR

peter johnson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 11:26:58 AM »

"Master and Commander", with Russell Crowe, gets no respect, but that scene where he sees the flash of cannonfire through the low fog before the cannonballs come screaming in is just a great piece of cinema.  Lots of good old wooden-ships & cannons throughout.  Actually, I really haven't seen any film with wooden ships & cannons blasting away at each other that I couldn't find something to like about!

Anything with Errol Flynn or Douglas Fairbanks Sr. swingning in on ropes.  I liked stuff like that as a child and still do today.

"The Bedford Incident", with Sydney Potier:  Taught, tense, Cold-War stuff, with the spectre of the Nazi German navy hovering in the background.  A real stop-and-think film that captures the tensions & brinksmanship of that era.

peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Ryantherebel
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 10:56:53 PM »

Just finished watching "Captain Blood" and that has a great climactic sea battle with wonderfully elaborate miniature scenes..
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 02:42:58 PM »

GoHawks has already mentioned one of my two favorites: "Ben Hur." I would add that it is also one of the bloodiest as you're ever likely to see, especially as it was made in 1959. A slave comes up from below, and as you notice him, you notice that half of his left arm is missing. A man gets a torch shoved into his face. So bloody, that I have seen the violence edited out for television, years after the film was made.

And while I have seen some of the others and enjoyed them, the only sea battle that compares to the one in "Ben Hur" is the first naval battle in "Dam the Defiant."
aka "H.M.S. Defiant."

Enjoy!
Flangepart

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 12:30:13 PM »

Good calls.
We could sub-devide to 'pre gunpowder / pre ironclad / post ironclad / post airpower' eras of sea combat.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 12:02:38 PM »

The fight between the frigate HMS Lydia and the ship of the line Natividad in the 1951 film "Captain Horatio Hornblower" starring Gregory Peck in the title roll. I've always felt that this is the closest Hollywood has come to matching a sea battle described in a novel.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
Rat-Bat-Spider
Dedicated Viewer

ICE to meet you!

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 06:11:46 PM »

For me, it has to go to Battleship Potemkin. The mutinous crew of Russian sailors overthrowing the Czarist scum and making history on land from the high seas. And not to mention the tension-building climax as the Czarist fleet slowly bears down on the battleship, making many of the crew question their odds of survival. As the dark grows, so does the shadow on their souls. While it is obvious Bolshevik Propaganda, this film has some powerful stuff to it.

"Brothers! Who are you shooting at?"

www.cinematronica.wordpress.com
A movie review every day for an entire year. Can he handle it? Can YOU handle it?
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Favorite Movie Sea Battles « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.