Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:45:50 PM
714158 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Zombies: Fast or Slow? « previous next »
Poll
Question: Are zombies more effective (scarier, convincing, etc) when they stumble along, or should they be able to run?
Slow - 18 (81.8%)
Fast - 2 (9.1%)
Who Cares? They're Zombies! - 1 (4.5%)
I cant decide - 1 (4.5%)
Total Voters: 22

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Zombies: Fast or Slow?  (Read 20313 times)
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« on: November 12, 2008, 09:33:37 PM »

I stumbled across this article in which Simon Pegg complained about the "faster" model of zombie. Is the old fashioned, slow moving corpse more effective than the "post 28 days later" runners? I want feedback.

Check out Pegg's argument:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/nov/04/television-simon-pegg-dead-set

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 09:59:58 PM »

If the zombie-geddon ever gets here, I'd much rather the slow-goers myself. Though I can see the appeal to the shamblers as far as suspense goes, especially when they gather in a massive wave of bodies that slowly closes in on you and your tasty brain, I think the running dead are much creepier in the sense of "Holy sh!t! How can you escape something like that!?" I still think that the original Return of the Living Dead is definitely one of the freakiest living dead flicks for that reason. At a time when horror movie fans were getting comfortable with the idea of knowing what they would do in the case of a zombie movie attack, here comes an army of unstoppable corpses, running screaming through the streets like rabid dogs, motivated entirely by searing pain that can only be cured with cracking open your head and eating your brains. Yikes. Buggedout

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
Nukie 2

I did it all for the...

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 10:06:48 PM »

To me, the 28 Days Later archetype weren't really zombies, but virus infected people.
They weren't the living dead, they had heartbeats and didn't rot.

Watch Nukie on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wab1Y713tN0
"Like" International Fans of the Movie Nukie and Sias Odendaal on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Fans-of-the-Movie-Nukie-and-Sias-Odendaal/135820159771783
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 10:22:39 PM »

I think Pegg nailed it.  Zombies are corpses, the ultimate symbol of death.  You're stronger than them, faster than them, smarter then them, but the second you catch a glimpse of a horde of them shuffling towards you, you know it's all over.  It's only a question of how long you can hold out before they bury you under their massive weight and make you one of them.  If your monster is fast, make him some sort of predator instead of a zombie.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 11:02:46 PM »

Slow zombies, always slow zombies.  It's not only better in a movie but more realistic, as far as realism can go in a zombie movie.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 11:52:00 PM »

i honestly don't care, and it sort of bothers me when people act like this is a big deal. it only matters if they're going to use fast zombies and still try to create a "dreadful atmospheric"-type zombie movie. 28 days later was a good example of where fast zombies (yes, i'm calling those zombies. sue me.) worked just fine, because the film didn't try to work contrary to their being more active.

dean

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 04:06:31 AM »

Just watched Dawn of the Dead Original and Remake, and I gotta say, both are freaky in their own way.  My emotional preferance is for slow zombies [that way my Zombie Survival Guide is not made redundant] and a massive horde of slow moving zombies that endlessly pursue you across miles and miles is quite a statement.

But let's face it: if zombies are fast then we're all completely buggeredo!  Slow we can face, fast, well, that will make the infection spread like wildfire!

So which do I prefer?  Slow zombies I like, but which scares me more?  Fast baby!

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 07:28:07 AM »

I concur with the previous posters. Running zombies might have a place (Like daywalker vampires), but the movies are best when the corpses main threat comes from their numbers.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 04:14:54 PM by Mr. Briggs Inc. » Logged

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 07:29:14 AM »

I think the votes speak for themselves.  Smile

Everyone has been used to slow zombies, that image of the undead. It's ingrained in our minds that, that's the way they are supposed to be. Death has set in, rigur mortis and decay, limbs would not function with such ease. You only have to look at films like the original "Of The Dead" trilogy, to see that it works best with them slow. It creates more suspense as characters are scared and have to plan their movements carefully and any over confidence or lack of concentration can ultimately lead to their grisly demise.  TeddyR

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 08:08:53 AM »

I agree with Dean, if the zombies are fast, you've basically got no hope.  The whole idea of zombies is that they're the living dead, not very physically fit after spending all that time in the grave.  There's lots of them, and they're coming after you.  It's a claustrophobic thing.  With running zombies you've pretty much got a horde of murderers after you.  Unless you've got a bunker and thousands of rounds of ammo, it's not very realistic to think that anyone could survive for long at all.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 11:44:18 AM »

You can't use logic with the living dead though guys, fast or slow. If their blood has turned to sludge and no longer pumps through their system, how would they be able to move at all? And even if the circulatory systems did function, they why wouldn't they die after the heart was destroyed? Why would the only way to stop them be through brain damage? How can the nervous system function without blood or oxygen? Whoa, better be careful or I'm gonna start sounding like Wyre...  Bluesad

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 11:53:49 AM »

Slow.

Fast zombies are missing the point of what makes zombies so great to begin with.

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
Cthulhu

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 01:54:47 PM »

I prefer slooooooow. I mean they are the "standard". If they are fast, you really have no chance, but when they're slow, their threat comes from their numbers, as Mr. Briggs Inc. said. So please support the slow zombies.

Look at him.
How could you say "no" to those eyes?
Potato king
Dedicated Viewer

ölöm

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 03:22:56 PM »

There seems to be a lot of "dead are supposed to be slow" talk in the air, but there is also quite a lot of "faster are freakier" talk floating in the vicinity, so how about a compromise that will get the best of both worlds?
I've always thought that the longer a zombie has been dead the slower it should be, so how would you react to a zombie flick in which the recently dead are fast, nimble and deadly and the more rotten ones are slow and rely on the strength of numbers to catch their helpless (and soon rather brainless, I'm afraid  TeddyR) victim?
That would be, in my opinion at least, a perfectly balanced and very scary zombie movie.  Cheers
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 03:25:34 PM »

There seems to be a lot of "dead are supposed to be slow" talk in the air, but there is also quite a lot of "faster are freakier" talk floating in the vicinity, so how about a compromise that will get the best of both worlds?
I've always thought that the longer a zombie has been dead the slower it should be, so how would you react to a zombie flick in which the recently dead are fast, nimble and deadly and the more rotten ones are slow and rely on the strength of numbers to catch their helpless (and soon rather brainless, I'm afraid  TeddyR) victim?
That would be, in my opinion at least, a perfectly balanced and very scary zombie movie.  Cheers

Very good point, that makes perfect sense. Re-animator is a perfect example, the fresher the corpse, the quicker the transition back to life and full movement.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Zombies: Fast or Slow? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.