Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:01:58 PM
714227 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Tape Recording Shows « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tape Recording Shows  (Read 5273 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« on: November 16, 2008, 02:21:24 PM »

Someone in another thread mentioned taking a tape recorder to a movie to get the soundtrack, and that brought back some memories of the days before video recorders became a common household items.

Anybody else record their favourite TV shows on audio cassettes? Back when VCRs were largely the toy of technophiles with disposable income, this was how I saved shows to enjoy again at my leisure. I used to have a sizeable collection of Gilligan's Island on cassette. I taped other shows too, but that was the main one.

Each day, after school, I'd pop in a tape, put my tape recorder on the floor under the speaker of our big, wooden console TV and wait for the moment when the show began, so I could punch play and record at just the right time. Then I'd stop the tape for commercials, all the while keeping total silence in the rec room. I remember one tape that included my dad walking into the room to talk to me about my report card, followed by me quietly shushing him.

Seems pretty funny today, when video recorders have been a standard household item for over two decades, and entire TV series, old and new, can be bought on DVD. But I worked with what I had.

So, who else used to record shows on audio tape?

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Menard
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 02:40:18 PM »

And I thought I was a lone geek who used to record Gilligan's Island on audio cassette.

It worked well on audio cassette as I had watched enough of it to know what was happening when someone wasn't speaking. I would play them at night to go to sleep to.

Probably how I got interested in old time radio.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 04:57:18 PM »

Seems to me I did this when I was very young and experimenting with the tape recorder, but I can't remember what shows I actually taped.

I do remember when I was in high school someone had taped AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON and I listened to it a couple times.  That's why I feel like I know the movie pretty well even though I've never actually seen it all the way through.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 05:38:26 PM »

The Munsters, Star Trek, and The Twilight Zone were all faithfully recorded by me on cassette for a time.

Probably how I got interested in old time radio.
Me too.

That, and The CBS Radio Mystery Theater with E.G. Marshall.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 09:02:25 PM »

i used to tape songs off the radio when i was little

if you like old radio shows check this out:

http://www.otr.net/

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 01:14:45 AM »

i used to tape songs off the radio when i was little

if you like old radio shows check this out:

http://www.otr.net/

think that's fairly commonplace, used to do this myself.

actually recorded Nirvana's first John Peel session in 1989 when they were unknown, but I really liked them. but stupidly I did what I always did when recording stuff off the radio and went back afterwards and did my best to stop each track at the end of the song and record over any trace of the dj's voice - did the same at the start of the tracks too...so when years later I tried to brag to friends that I was into Nirvana before they were famous and taped their first UK radio session, I never really had proof because I recorded over the dj's voice...doh

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 06:27:51 PM »

I used to tape Tales From The Crypt and wrestling in the mid-90's.

raj

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 07:19:51 PM »

I didn't audiotape tv shows, but I would do that for concerts that were broadcast on the radio.  I think I still have a Billy Joel tape somewhere.

I was into the old time radio shows too, still have a bunch of those tapes.  What I want to do is get an mp3 player and a docking station to listen to them while I'm in the basement doing some woodworking.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 09:24:57 AM »

I don't think I ever audiotaped a TV show, however I did have a Polaroid camera and took a picture of the TV screen when a UFO was landing on the show "Project Blue Book".  Wasn't the highest quality photo, but I thought it was cool as hell.  Must have been in 1978.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
BTM

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 10:34:35 AM »

So, who else used to record shows on audio tape?

Oh, dude, I use to do the SAME thing with episodes of You Can't Do That On Television.  Even though we had a VCR (eventually) I liked to listen to the tapes at night while I was in bed.  I listen to them so much that I think there's tons of sketches permanently burned into my subconscious.  Got to the point where I had trouble sleeping with the sounds of my tapes playing.

Course, nowadays I have a similar effect with the fan that sits by my bed.  I'll have it on even when it's cool...

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 11:16:18 AM »

I hada female friend who taped magnum.  I'd like to get my hand on those tapes
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 11:47:17 AM »

I got my first tape recorder when I was about 6 0o 7.

The only time I recall ever trying to tape a TV show, was an old rerun of Super Man.

It was that episode where Super Man's supposed to visit this crippled girl on her birthday, but she gets kidnapped by a dishevelled impostor who works for some french counterfeiters.

About ten years later, I tried making a mixtape from reruns of The Monkees, but I ran into compatability problems.

Nowadays, I prefer BESuite.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Tape Recording Shows « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.