Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:11:02 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra  (Read 51291 times)
BigPaulieVirgo
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 12:22:29 PM »

Andrew/Fellow Badmovie'ers:

As a scientist who has scientifically studied atmospherium in THE most scientific way possible....ROWR! (Animala, get down off that ottoman--what--oooh, don't you DARE scratch that lamp, young lady--er--cat--er--whatever)...

Okay..that hurt (Andrew take two Tylenol). I did enjoy the movie--and I wasn't sure about
it when I first saw a review of it in 2004(critic loved it, but you know art-house critics)

Blamire and company are already coming out with the sequel, 'The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra Returns!'. As well, they've done another sci-fi parody, "Trail of the Screaming
Forehead"--the part where Fay Masterson asks a colleague critic if he would think of her
theory if 'that man were a woman'. You can check out some scenes on YouTube. Plus,
they (Blamire/crew) have put out 'Tales From the Pub'. Here are hits/misses, but they
do elicit a chuckle. So Andrew, buy some industrial strength Tylenol, load up on MRE's, and prepare yourself for when 'The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra Returns', returns!

BTW, does anyone know where I can get 'Trail of the Screaming Forehead'?  Question
Ed, Ego and Superego
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 06:21:16 PM »

I have to weigh in with my miniscule moral mass... I liked this movie and lumped it into the "Tribute" category over "Mocking".  I'm not the movie master that Andrew or many other folks are, but I do love "rubber suit" monster films, and enjoyed the over-the topness of this.  High Art no.  Fun parody, yes. 

-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Robert
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 09:07:07 PM »

I would have to side with Andrew on this one; there is something that is just "off" in this parody. Maybe it is the fact that the filmmakers tried to get too many different b-movies into one story. I mean you have aliens, cat women on the moon, a re-animated skeleton, and a rampaging monster. old b movies were linear and did not try to complicate things. Here in lies the problem with this "homage."
Maskdt
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2008, 11:30:52 PM »

Personally, I liked this movie, but I can see where you're coming from, and I respect your opinion.
I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Rick
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 02:54:59 PM »

Usually, I enjoy your reviews, but this one is just sad.  The overt humor in Cadavra is very much "Pythonesque" dedicated to being silly about a very silly subject.  Perhaps, you should stick to reviewing movies that are not deliberately "bad," as you seem to have a very limited sense of humor.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2008, 03:25:00 PM »

Usually, I enjoy your reviews, but this one is just sad.  The overt humor in Cadavra is very much "Pythonesque" dedicated to being silly about a very silly subject.  Perhaps, you should stick to reviewing movies that are not deliberately "bad," as you seem to have a very limited sense of humor.

Usually, I enjoy your comments, but this one is just sad.  The overt humor in Andrew's review is very much "Twainesque" dedicated to being insightful about a very silly subject.  Perhaps, you should stick to making comments that are deliberately bad, as you seem to have a very limited tolerance for opposing viewpoints.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2008, 11:29:50 PM »

Rev Powell already pointed out that it appears the reason you did not like the review was that my opinion was different than your own.  I think that I said much about the split of b-movie fans liking/not liking this film earlier in the thread:

http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,122010.msg227283.html#msg227283

I would have to side with Andrew on this one; there is something that is just "off" in this parody. Maybe it is the fact that the filmmakers tried to get too many different b-movies into one story. I mean you have aliens, cat women on the moon, a re-animated skeleton, and a rampaging monster. old b movies were linear and did not try to complicate things. Here in lies the problem with this "homage."

I really think that the problem is that the dialog needed more polishing.  I am completely serious when I say that it seemed very little effort was put into much of it, and that appears to be accepted because it is a parody.  It is parodying cheap and stupid by being cheap and stupid.  I appreciate parody when it is smarter than its subject; when it understands the target - perhaps better than the target understands itself.

Someone else mentioned that the lines in "The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra" seemed like they were ad libbed.  When we watched it the first time I stopped the film and just ad libbed lines that were at least equal in quality to what was being said on the screen.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Nukie 2

I did it all for the...

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2008, 11:57:18 PM »

I just think you can't parody something that is unintentionally funny.

You can sequel a movie that was unintentionally funny with a comedy, like Basket Case. Or you can have a b-monster/ comedy like The Toxic Avenger. That's my two cents.

I wonder how they're going to follow up TLSC without everyone cringing. It'd be the same joke.

Watch Nukie on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wab1Y713tN0
"Like" International Fans of the Movie Nukie and Sias Odendaal on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Fans-of-the-Movie-Nukie-and-Sias-Odendaal/135820159771783
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2008, 03:59:51 AM »

"Squirrels are hilarious" .....don't let Odinn7 see that.  Smile

Thanks for the review, Andrew ~ I will actually look out for this locally because if the film is as bad as you say it is, I will watch it.

Just FYI: that skeleton looks as though it knows something I don't. Why is it grinning like that?  Buggedout

Mofo's comment about Fay Masterson reminded me of when that actress came to South Africa to make Jock Of The Bushveld in 1992. She was really not used to the conditions and whined to the director (and to all that would listen): "Oh, it's so dusty here, I'm going to lay bricks when I go to the loo."  Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Blacklight
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2008, 02:22:11 PM »

I laughed my butt off every time Dr. Armstrong said the word "Science" ! BounceGiggle
Racist Melon Farmer
Dedicated Viewer

Got Sodium?

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2008, 03:08:38 PM »

Hey, that'd make a great drinking game, wouldn't it? Take a shot or a chug everytime someone says "science"!  Cheers

Maybe that's how you make this movie bearable to watch.

Foolish Earthlings! Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!
Big Galloot
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2008, 12:54:34 PM »

To Andrew -

I'm a bit surprised that you weren't struck by the similarity between Ranger Brad and the Canadian Cop. I actually showed that piece of the Giant Claw to a female friend and fellow Lost Skeleton fan and asked "Who is this?" "OMG - It's Ranger Brad!! That's hilarious!" Was the reply, so I am not alone in this.

I guess that Ranger Brad is in the eye of the beholder.

Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2008, 09:05:43 PM »

Mofo's comment about Fay Masterson reminded me of when that actress came to South Africa to make Jock Of The Bushveld in 1992. She was really not used to the conditions and whined to the director (and to all that would listen): "Oh, it's so dusty here, I'm going to lay bricks when I go to the loo."  Buggedout

And yet she also filmed The Power of One that same year. It's alright, a little fiber does the body good.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Ricky Sanchez
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2008, 02:05:30 AM »

I was so happy to read this review and no that other people didn't like this movie. I thought it was a dreadful bore!
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2008, 08:25:26 AM »

And yet she also filmed The Power of One that same year. It's alright, a little fiber does the body good.

TeddyR BounceGiggle

Yikes: John G Avildsen's anti-South African statement ~ I'd forgotten about that one.  Buggedout Buggedout
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 08:29:27 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.