Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:07:25 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra  (Read 51297 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: November 16, 2008, 10:25:14 AM »

This is an attempt to make fun of old science fiction b-movies.  They are trying to parody something being cheap and stupid, that everyone already recognizes as being cheap and stupid, by being cheap and stupid.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Jordan
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Thunderball Fists?! I can have such a thing?!

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 01:47:21 PM »

Thank the Gods! I thought I was the only person who had seen "Lost Skeleton of Cadavra" and disliked it. Thank you Andrew; I now know that I am not alone in the world.

I agree 100% that the dialog was horrendous. (I find it hard to believe there was a script for this film. It all seems more like an awful 90-minute attempt to adlib.) It was funny for perhaps the first five minutes of the film. After that, it was a real test of strength to keep watching. I checked out a few reviews for "Cadavra" after my first viewing and thought, "well perhaps I was mistaken." Then I watched it again (in it's entirety) and realized that no, my first impression was right on.

There are a few moments in the film where things came together nicely, but they are too few and far between. I really hope that they've improved things with the new sequel to this "homage" (i.e. cruel mockery) of classic sci-fi and monster movies.

-----
The Vault Master
Caretaker of The B-Movie Film Vault
-----
Dogberry
New Visitor

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 03:15:44 PM »

I actually thought the parody here was funny, but it's nowhere near as clever and intelligent as the parodying done of the same types of movies by a hard to find Canadian film called Invasion (aka: Top of the Food Chain).   I'd love to see a review of that here.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0159797/
Greenhornet
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 08:55:42 PM »

Dr. Fleming: "Won't you please be seated, my dear?"
Animala: "Rowwwwr."
Dr. Fleming: "May I say, you look lovely this evening."
Animala: "Rowr!"

Did this woman NEVER hear a cat in her entire life? Question
Jim
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 04:34:20 AM »

C'mon. "I sleep now." That was funny. Row-er.
Drockius
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 09:54:11 AM »

maybe im just insane but i really liked it. its the first REAL bad sci fi movie ive seen without 2 robots sitting in front of it. which i also find hilarious but distracting if i wanted to watch the movie.

it had me laughing to tears the whole time it was just so bad lol.
peter johnson

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 12:15:47 PM »

Well, as usual, Andrew's writing is spot-on, even though I don't agree with the analysis.  More proof that 2 people can hear the identical thing & have polar opposite reactions to said --

I thought the film was done with good humour & intent.  I didn't think they were being cruel or rude, just funny.  Sure, I agree that it could have been better, but I didn't find it as painful as some do.  I made up my mind before I watched it the first time that okay, this is someone doing intentional camp, something I don't usually enjoy or seek out, but let's give them a chance.  I ended up having a very good time.  As Dixie says, it's like jazz -- some people are going to love it & others will find it grating, and there's nothing to be done.  I would say a house of straw and confetti, not fish --

peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
DavidFullam
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 12:29:11 PM »

Thank God, more folks who hate this film! Glad to see I'm not alone.
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 08:19:43 PM »

Thank the Gods! I thought I was the only person who had seen "Lost Skeleton of Cadavra" and disliked it. Thank you Andrew; I now know that I am not alone in the world.

maybe im just insane but i really liked it. its the first REAL bad sci fi movie ive seen without 2 robots sitting in front of it. which i also find hilarious but distracting if i wanted to watch the movie.

Well, as usual, Andrew's writing is spot-on, even though I don't agree with the analysis.  More proof that 2 people can hear the identical thing & have polar opposite reactions to said --

Thank God, more folks who hate this film! Glad to see I'm not alone.

From what I have seen, for people who watch a lot of these movies, the running tally is about 70% like it and 30% do not.  The movie just didn't find the right formula for some of us, but for some it did.  In my case, I usually hate movies that try to be too self conscious, trying to slip the audience that surreptitious wink to tell the viewer that everybody knows its a b-movie.  That held true for me here.

I still think that the dialog could have been much better.  It appears to take the easy route too often; the lines required zero thought to create.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Big Galloot
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 10:11:27 PM »

Frankly, I thought the movie was hilarious. Part of that might be my familiarity with the movies being parodied. As an example, if you get a chance to see the Giant Claw, a truly bad movie, you will see the police officer character that Ranger Brad was modeled after. If you didn't see the Giant Claw, you can't get the joke or appreciate how thoroughly the actor nailed the part.

BTW - Animala was played by the wife of  director/lead/writer Larry Blamire, the lucky bastard!
Torgo

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 11:23:35 PM »

I really liked The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra. It's an extremely quotable movie. In fact, one of my friends went dressed as Ranger Brad this past Halloween.

"Noises......IN THE WOODS?!"   TeddyR   

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 12:23:45 AM »

Well according to IMDb, there is a sequel that has been completed but not yet released.

I have this in my Netflix queue, almost solely for the fact that it has Fay Masterson in it. She's a not well-known actress I find attractive and has for some reason stuck with me for years, despite the fact that most of the movies she's in don't look very good.

I know, don't even get me started on my Megan Ward addiction.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Happenstance
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 04:43:17 AM »

I laughed well at this, but yes, they missed the point: bad movies aren't funny because they're bad; they're funny because they think they're f***ing Shakespeare.
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 09:10:32 AM »

Frankly, I thought the movie was hilarious. Part of that might be my familiarity with the movies being parodied. As an example, if you get a chance to see the Giant Claw, a truly bad movie, you will see the police officer character that Ranger Brad was modeled after. If you didn't see the Giant Claw, you can't get the joke or appreciate how thoroughly the actor nailed the part.

I'd say that I am extremely well acquainted with the kinds of films they were parodying, but it still did not work for me.  I am also very familiar with The Giant Claw and do not see the link between Ranger Brad and the Canadian Policeman.  Was there an interview with Larry Blamire describing where he drew inspiration for certain characters?  Ranger Brad seems more like the forest ranger, police officer, or caretaker who stops in to visit the main characters, warns them about strange happenings in the area or asks about a missing person or abandoned car, and then sometimes goes on to become the monster's snack.

I have this in my Netflix queue, almost solely for the fact that it has Fay Masterson in it. She's a not well-known actress I find attractive and has for some reason stuck with me for years, despite the fact that most of the movies she's in don't look very good.

I also found her in attractive in this, but other photos of her didn't seem to carry the same weight.  Perhaps she just naturally looks good in B&W.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 10:29:25 AM by Andrew » Logged

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
scott floyd
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 09:52:59 AM »

i must protest. I love this movie from start to finish. This has become one of my very favorites. How can anyone watch this and not laugh until their sides burst?

oh well...............
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.