Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:48:45 AM
714337 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Lunch... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Lunch...  (Read 4473 times)
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« on: November 17, 2008, 09:14:08 PM »

For lunch, I usually follow my coworkers out to some fast food place. However, due to problems involving both my wallet and waistline, I need to figure out a healthy/cost effective alternative. I tend to get, like, hypoglycemic if I havent eaten enough (I'm not diabetic, though), and ramen noodles dont cut it. What works for you guys?

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 09:24:34 PM »

I generally switch between two different sandwiches, turkey and tuna.  I try to add whatever I can to the sandwich (lettuce, hot peppers, etc) to make them more filling as long as it's healthy.  I too suffer from the shakes if I don't eat enough so I usually eat some low fat chips and fruit with lunch.  I generally snack on peanuts or corn nuts throughout the day for a somewhat better snack option.   I'd maybe suggest eating a bowl of healthy soup with your sandwich of choice.  You may want to watch out for Ramen noodles though.  Although they are good, some varieties are high in sat fat content. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 06:37:56 AM »

Sashimi!  Wink

dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 06:50:56 AM »

I really should make my own lunch, but I'm too lazy so I just buy it.  Usually it ends up with me annoying everyone else at work, who watch what they eat for various reasons, by getting something bad for me, like a couple of slices of pizza, or a chicken roll with gravy etc.  Occasionally I'll get a chicken salad, or a nice roll of some kind.

Yum!

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 08:19:24 AM »

I had the same problem the last couple of summers, with a chip truck right next to my office and nothing else convenient. Ate a lot of cheeseburgers, fried shrimp and chips, poutine, deep fried perogies and the like. Tasty stuff, but not healthy in those quantities, and not cheap on a daily basis.

I've never had a problem with coworkers being annoyed, but it does get tiresome when they always want to take a peek at what I've got. That and the inevitable joke: "What have you brought me?"

Eating cheap and healthy lunches is not hard. The tough thing is overcoming the laziness and disorganization that leads to buying fast food. Kind of helps me to be laid off and making lunches for the kid. And I no longer have a chip truck next door in the summertime. The nearest one is visible from my house, but not next door.  Hey, comes with living near a major vacation route.  TeddyR

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 09:25:56 AM »

I should point out that I eat lunch alone usually and hang out on the computer.  Probably keeps me away from peer pressure food wise.   TeddyR

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 10:39:27 AM »

At my last job, when I wasn't working at home, I used to get pasties every lunch time and drink far too much tea. The other staff in the office would bring in biscuits and tons of cakes every day. I wasn't bothered about my weight, as I'm only 10st and I struggle to put any on, but I did eventually start to make healthy sandwiches. Far nicer.  Smile

raj

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 11:04:21 AM »

Peanut butter and jelly.

They just opened a Fresh Market in Toledo, so I get some of their multigrain bread, as for the peanut butter I get the store brand (Meijer's) that contains just peanuts.  And for jelly I go for the stuff that has real sugar rather than HFCS (though IMO the jury's still out on HFCS).  Eat an apple and 3 cookies.  And a coke. 

It can get monotonous, but overall it is healthy.  And filling.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 11:23:23 AM »

At my last job, when I wasn't working at home, I used to get pasties every lunch time and drink far too much tea.

Pasties? Aren't those the things women wear over their nipples?

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
JJ80
Nutter Magnet

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 03:32:47 PM »

At work I prefer a baked potato with cheese and either coleslaw or tuna. I tend to eat at my desk having bought the food from the staff canteen. I can never be bothered to make myself a packed lunch

There are few things more beautiful than a sporting montage with a soft-rock soundtrack
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 11:14:21 PM »

Can't say I usually eat lunch, exactly, but today on a break around mid-day I did grab California rolls, hold the imitation crab meat, extra wasabi and pickled ginger, and had green tea with autumn honey.

When I eat lunch or what approximates lunch, I'll often have a salad. Nachos can work, too. So can wraps. You can do a lot with nachos, salads, wraps, and get all kinds of variety that way along with bettering your nutrition over most fast food offerings. Baked potatoes are cool, too. Heck, many times I've had something like an avocado or kiwi or orange and called lunch done. Lunch is for reading or taking a walk, anyway, right?

Um, lest by example, though, I lead anyone astray from the omnivorous path, I guess I should mention I'm a non-proselytizing vegetarian, lol.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 08:58:09 AM »

Lunch is for wimps...

Sister Grace

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 10:04:44 AM »

Even when I'm not working, I'll often pack a lunch and go down to the beach or the park and eat during the day. I keep home-made biscuits made around constantly for my daughter so i'll usually grab one of them and whatever I can stuff in between it. The other day I had one with some pepperoni and a slice of cheese. Really, just about anything tastes great in a biscuit (even pasta salad).

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 10:20:59 AM »

We'll be moving out of our building soon temporarily because they are going to renovate it. We're moving from Arcadia in Pretoria (just next to the Union Buildings) where there are no restaurants to the centre of Pretoria where there are.

It's been a while since I had something decent for lunch. [Loud guts rumble]

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 12:12:35 PM »

I just had two slices of underwhelming, but thankfully bargain-priced, greasy-as-sin chicken wing pizza from the campus cafeteria. I didn't have much more than some pocket change on me, so it's all I could afford to get. Normally, I don't bother eating lunch. I just eat whenever I get home. But today I'm gonna be stuck on campus until 9 o'clock tonight, so I thought it wise to get SOMETHING in me while I still can (the caf closes ridiculously early here).

Blah. I don't wanna be here.

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Lunch... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.