Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:28:00 AM
713349 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  quick DVDs 'regional code' question... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: quick DVDs 'regional code' question...  (Read 5297 times)
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« on: November 17, 2008, 09:43:54 PM »

should I be able to play any DVD regional code disc on my laptop?

there's a few 'region 1' US only I want to buy, but I was under the impression only actual DVD Players are affcted by region codes...not if you play them thru your computer...is that right?

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Menard
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 09:56:59 PM »

From my understanding, that is correct; unless somehow the software has some kind of block in it. That shouldn't be a problem, though; just get another software for your computer.

The thing I am not sure about, though I guess it should be part of the software, is NTSC to PAL conversion, and Vice-Versa, with the software.

If you have a DVD player, you can go to http://videohelp.com where they have a database of hacks for DVD players; many of them are just codes that you can enter from the remote to unlock it (sets it to region 0). Of course, you would need a DVD player that can play NTSC and PAL discs.

The prices have come down on all region DVD players and I have seen them for less than $50 USD. Many Philips DVD player models can convert between NTSC and Pal, can be set to region 0 with just a code entered from the remote, and are relatively cheap for what they offer; for that matter, relatively cheap compared to many DVD players that don't offer much.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 10:04:57 PM »

thanks man. I dont have an actual player, only watch them on my laptop...didn't want to buy region 1s or whatever then find out I cant watch them. but if you've heard they should play all regions I'll probably take your word for it, I sort of had a hunch as well

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 03:54:53 AM »

I have seen some programs that only let you change the region code a certain number of times before they are "locked" into just one code.  Also, some programs have not had any option to use a different region after they were installed.  In at least one case we had to uninstall the program, manually locate and delete registry entries, and then reinstall it with a different region to make it work.

So, the warning is:  using a different region code could be annoying or difficult, depending.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
dean

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 07:06:09 AM »

In almost all cases of DVD-ROM drives in computers that I have seen, they let you change region codes only 3 times before the change is permanent.  There are apparently hacks for some drives, but I dislike messing with registry etc as much as I can.

If you've got the hard drive space, I might suggest a program like DVDdecrypter which takes away region coding on DVDs, and basically stores it on your hard drive.  Depending on the disc it can take up about 8 gig.  Then all you need to do is play the dvd from the hard drive using your dvd playing program of choice and you're all sorted!   Thumbup

This may or may not be used to make pirated copies of movies, so just remember it is illegal to keep this unless you've bought the movie.   Wink

Small | Large

Small | Large

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 08:31:56 AM »

I've had no trouble playing PAL on my computer. As for the regions, I've never needed to change it. However, it should be possible to install region-free firmware on the drive if you can find it. Just a matter of running a little installer that flashes the drive's ROM, just as you would for a firmware upgrade. The question is whether someone has written region-free firmware for your particular drive. Mind you, it would not be a big expense to buy a drive that will work.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 08:58:11 AM »

Smile

I used that VideoHelp site to unlock my new DVD player (region 2 in South Africa) and after a slight shock in which I once saw the picture frame split down the middle of a Region 1 DVD, it righted itself.  Cheers

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  quick DVDs 'regional code' question... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.