Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:03:08 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 151
Author Topic: Reading anything?  (Read 740038 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2008, 05:24:19 PM »

Hey, lester, another book you might like is Nicholson Baker's Human Smoke. If you haven't heard about it, it concerns the time between the world wars, thru to the end of 1941, and traces the decisions made that ultimately led to the beginnings of World War Two as we know it. The entire book, written by a pacifist, is composed of virtually nothing except quotes from the major figures or descriptions of the actions of literally thousands of people alive in the period between the wars, each of whom played some part in the outcome of history. It's a familiar story told from a different angle.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2008, 08:21:34 PM »

Currently reading Michael Slade's "Crucified" which seems, at first glance, like an attempt to compete with Dan Brown.

Recently finished Slade's most recent Special X crime novel, "Kamikaze." I really enjoy Slade's books. Kind of like a horror story wrapped in a whodunit wrapped in a history lesson wrapped in a police procedural. Riveting stuff, and meticulously researched. The books are currently written by a father-daughter team with backgrounds in criminal law and history. Apparently, the Slade pen name has had a couple of owners over the years.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2008, 04:10:35 AM »

At present, I'm reading Off Season by Jack Ketchum, having just finished The Twilight Realm by Christopher Carpenter (aka Christopher Evans). 
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2008, 07:59:04 PM »

The Collected Stories of Louis Auchincloss

The most unique American writer of his times.

Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2008, 10:09:38 PM »

I read Off Season. It was enjoyable, and didn't leave me with the kicked-in-the-stomach feeling that The Girl Next Door did.

I'm currently reading a multitude of books, but am focusing on The Terror by Dan Simmons. It's a historical horror based off of the lost Franklin expedition to find the Northwest Passage. The men on the two ships get trapped in the ice and must spend the time trying to stay warm while fighting off malnutrition and scurvy. Unfortunately, there is something else out on the ice that slaughters the occasional man from time to time.

It's a great book. I admire how thoroughly the situation goes from bad to worse, and then much worse.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2008, 12:13:54 PM »

Anyone gotten Stephen King's latest yet? Time was I'd have rushed out and bought it and read it in a sitting, but....times change. It might be good, though. Anyone read it?

princess dragonmom
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2008, 12:28:01 PM »

Are you talking about " Just after Sunset" the new collection of short stories?  I've been reading it for the last few days.  So far I'd give it 3 stars.  A few of the stories have been pretty flat, in that you read it  and say "Is that it?"  A couple of them have been good, I'm in the middle of "The Gingerbread Girl" right now and it's the best I've read so far. 
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2008, 08:35:20 AM »

I'm currently in the middle of...

Zombie C.S.U. -by Jonathan Maberry

The Backwoods- by Edward Lee

The Long  Walk- by Richard Bachman

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2008, 09:00:26 AM »

The Long Walk is a hard-hitting book.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2008, 09:49:56 AM »

ER-  I had a choice between that and Pat Buchanans latest which has a similar theme and I'm a big fan of pats believe it or not so I opted for that one "churchill hitler and the unneccasary war" but they both have the same sort of idea.  post war is very interesting thusfar.  1939 thru 1945 were basically a battle between germany and russia to see who could be the most horrible.  I can't fairly say who won.  then after the war came retributions against collaborators and so forth and massive ethnic cleansing.   
Javakoala
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2008, 01:01:34 PM »

I'm not reading anything of such grand value.

Recent titles:

"The Cats"  Which would make a great movie that would p**s off PETA

"The Worms"  People turning into giant grub worms.  No, I'm serious.  Really.

Who are those two by?  I couldn't' find them in a search on Amazon.

SARRANTONIO, AL  wrote "The Worms"  and Nick Sharman wrote "The Cats".  You'll need to haunt your used books stores for those delightful wrecks.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2008, 02:04:08 PM »

I have the Buchanan book, too, lester, but I've only read the first few chapters so far. I don't think it's as similar to Human Smoke as it might seem once you get into it, but you're right, there are points in common, yeah. Both are re-examinations of the accepted versions of World War Two history, and neither makes Churchill come off unblemished or accepts that the war was inevitable or had to be as bloody as it was. I'll get back to finishing the book soon. Studying mistakes is fine but overall I think it might just be ungrateful for those of us who are the heirs to the post-war world to be too critical of those who won WWII and gave us the world we've lived in since.

I think Buchanan's best work was probably State of Emergency, his dead-on accurate diatribe on the illegal immigrant catastrophe not only in America but in the entire west, which he claims is under invasion.

I think for the first time in modern history right-wing intellectuals (not neo-cons but the old school kind, what few remain) seem to be writing better books than their left-wing counterparts. Never thought I'd say so, but I think it's true.

WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2008, 02:44:39 PM »

The Long Walk is a hard-hitting book.

I found copies of all four original Bachman books at a flea market not too long ago and I was thrilled. I'd read Running Man before and thought it was great. I instantly preferred the Bachman persona titles to the actual King ones. Anyway, I'd been hoping (in vain, I thought) to run across Rage for a while, 'cause I know that one's out-of-print and a bit controversial due to it's subject matter. I was excited to read it and I thought it was great. Now, I just started The Long Walk. I'll read Road Work last, since I'm not really terribly interested by that one. But if The Long Walk is as good as Running Man and Rage (which I suspect it will be) then I'll be happy.

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2008, 03:15:16 PM »

Danny Peary - "Cult Movies".  Reminds me of some of the great and not-so-great-but-certainly-unique movies I have yet to see.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2008, 10:28:09 AM »

ER-  have you heard of the ludwig von mises institute?  they have released alot of excellent right wing history and economics books.

my favorites are probably the Driver by garett garet,  The discovery of freedom by Rose Wilder Lane,  and the politically incorrect guide to capitalism by robert Murphy, which is actually put out by someone else but he writes alot for them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 151
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.